General > General Technical Chat

Sharing some project planning phase: A (digital) ELECTRO-MECHANICAL Network

<< < (38/39) > >>

RJHayward:
Ok, now, (I'm afraid this latest convolution, is going to alienate / lose some READERs...).
Don't worry, pipelined stuff frequently gets VERY difficult, comprehension-wise.
   It's looking like the (BC) grouping, in the scheme where the 'A' on the left side (of schematic), and 'B' shaft and 'C' shaft are grouped as 'right side' type, that (BC) group can be replaced, calling the new section the BINARY section, of the (serial) BUS.
   What that means, (I'm thinking), is that the 'Binary' section doesn't REPLACE the older way, but rather it SUPPLEMENTS with binary encoding, for expansion to have more than the ONE custom 'C' output.

(Also see post #134, as it relates to this whole SELECTION, and partial box split-up, into logical left and right 'entities'.)
   So, it's very similar; The former (BC) subsection is replaced by a set of binary-coded functions (local).
   Here's the run-down:
   With 1 shaft, you get 1 function,
   With 2 shafts, you could try encoding, to Clk, A0, but those 2 shafts simply decode, to 2 outputs, (so no gain).

With, 3 shafts, typical binary, you've got CLK, plus you've got a 1 of 4 decode, so 3 shafts giving 4 output.
   And; With 4 shafts, you get CLK, plus you get 1 of 8 decoded outputs.
Etc. etc. for a doubling of local available OUTPUTs for each shaft signal included in the BOX signal 'footprint'.

Soooo...   ... It's looking like, BINARY decode is a nice expansion, of capability, but not until you go to a '5 Shaft' system, of BOX I/O shafts.

...(some) Potential for error, here...
...VERY HIGH PROBABILITY, of READER 'confusion', here!             Sorry, comes with the territory...

RJHayward:
   I will be supplying the layout diagrams for doing Binary Decoded function expansion (5 BUS signal shafts, now).
   Looking back at the posts involving more than 1 local output, internal to a Switch Box, now: with the binary decided scheme, can put more functionality, in one BOX, relative to the NETWORK of serial-connected individuals.  That means, for example, a  2-bit memory cell, can be written to, without going to an additional Switch Box, as the 'decoded' 1 of 4 will give an additional 2 functions.
   So, a  NETWORK Switch Box Assembly, 5-Shaft type, will then have an additional 2 un-committed shaft outputs, for doing actuations like, for example, 'RING a bell', or, an example set the LOCK to a safety hatch door.  Previous example just used 2 combined box's logic, into 1 box, for getting 2 custom actuators.

OK, Readers, time to start 'bleeding from the eyes'...
(Shucks, I'm just a Fatal Engineer...)

It's gonna take a kid, ages 3+, to really accept all this...
...'DATA BUS' ???   
...'Mechanical logic Sequencer...'???'
   ...'Data / Address Decoder'  ????

...'Dude: Where's the chips, there ???'

RJHayward:
   With numerous changes, here is some help, for understanding structure of the NETWORK:

Folks could ask; Why not just apply the standard 'decoder chip' I/O lines, and just do the Transparency thing some other way?
Good question. By keeping the 'A' side switch, OUT of that process, of enabling the 'NEXT' network station, you avoid the act of switching a 'LIVE' signal.  That's because when any signal is issued, from electric motor(s), that signal is present all the way down the line, the whole series.
So, any Switch On Select, would otherwise cause a spurious 'surge' as that moving switch contacts the moving 'A' shaft, at completion of switch travel.
So to avoid that, you only want to switch on, the so-named 'right side' components, first, (from the prev box).
That's the down the middle 'SPLIT', in the architecture here.  Next, the 'B' channel (new box now) the B channel performs the 'trivial looking' act, of Selecting the 'A' left side switch.  Sounds too simple, but result helps avoid that 'switching HOT' type transient.
   This time, for that switch box 'clean up' or 'un-Select' the 'A' side, like in the (BC) case, on the right side half, NOW it is the 'BINARY DECODER' substituted, simply for more capacity and features, by decoding 1 of 4 outputs, to actuate 'Locally' in this sw Box, or nearby external (rotary) JOB to perform. Example might be to put a couple of 'impulses' into some string winder BOBBIN.
   Wading through this design process involves some 'sorting out', trial and error...and COFFEE...lots of coffee.
Paying attention to standardizing a 'footprint' helps impose some structure.  Some old assumptions persisted, despite fundamental design shifts...
(We've all seen THAT persistent dysfunction, in work and personal).
   I got lucky, and found some 'architectural' direction, out of that switch connection TOPOLOGY...

RJHayward:
(part 2 of review)
   The sequence, then, is to enable the next box, partially, then turn over the action, to that next box.
The 'new' box then enables it's own 'left side', channel 'A', and starts to go to work, using the binary decoded output to manipulate things.
That would be, first that 'A' switch enable, and then, second, the 'BASE' Control Station will use the previous box's 'A' channel switch. Remember, that is still in active mode...You have a kind of 'Smeared' locality, of what's 'on-line', and what's transparent.
Now, using the pivoting switch 'OVERFLOW' status signal, (described previous), that lagging Left side portion can be made to transparent mode, so whole box is transparent, to the binary decoder signals, while the next box is FULLY selected.
   Each excursion forward, down the network line, works that way, a complicated 'pipelined' situation, very hard to digest, newly...
That last, self-extinguishing action, is 'A' clearing the right side section (the decoder and user custom outputs), with eventual overflow, that loops back for 'Self-Cancelation'.
    I gotta come up with a more optimistic term...
Anyway, that issue, of having no ADULTS in the room, at the end, leaves a BOX in a sort of 'Limbo', but I'm confident a definitive turn-off, to transparent mode will not be impossible ..

coppercone2:
I like the shape of the latest drawing, it reminds me of old banana plug crystals, and I have a matching transformer that kind of looks like that. Feels like it belongs in space.

I recently diagnosed my old lambda supply with a bad capacitor, they sure like axial parts. That part would look great inside of that chassis as a electrical component.

Its amusing to see the concept art.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version