General > General Technical Chat

Sharing some project planning phase: A (digital) ELECTRO-MECHANICAL Network

<< < (17/39) > >>

RJHayward:
Haha: coppercone2, I was just thinking that, but a lot going on right now, concerning that little toggle switch.
   The idea / example is: Suppose you have a Mirror Adjuster system, of 24 boxes.
If you need, a little adjust, on # 21 and #22 mirror, plus some more extended adjust, the tension line on #17, here is how.
   By sending alternate pulses, (quarter second each), you work the way down from #1 to #17, then, you are free to adjust that output bobbin tension, that goes to one square 'tile'.  Now, suppose everything settles and your calibrator reads that you've gone too far. The connection is 'analog', base motor down to target, but you can get lots of play in the gears etc.
More like 'analog-ish'.
Heck, you can play that one line in or out until happy. Then, you can do the two pulses each, to get past 17, 18, 19, etc, and do the minor adjust at station #21.

RJHayward:
   The thing about that toggle method, using the little inter-gear, is it has a 'CASCADE' function, when you start turning the input; The arm swings, into the bigger output gear, but then it still accepting more rotation. That new state is more resembling regular gear train, but you could conceivably use that output as 'Cascade Overflow' output.
   The little inter-gear pushes, one surface contact, on the gear tooth, of the big output gear, but then after transit is done the inter-gear pushes with the alternate surface! Yet, it is hard to visualize that.

My dilemma, using that switch, don't know which is regular data for commutation, or positioning of the toggle itself!

coppercone2:
I thought about this, is it possible to use momentum like a centrifugal gear thing, so if there is a rapid velocity increase there is like a spring loaded thing that pops out and makes it activate another mechanical system?

So you can yank it back and forth quickly to make something deploy, perhaps on a damper, so it stays activated by some amount of time. Like those games where there is a ball in a maze thing, and sometimes you need to shake it to make it jump over a obstacle or something. Different damper/spring combos could make it so different 'communication shakes' toggle different switches...  that would allow for pure rotational control if you can make the motor capable of excess speed on demand in a controllable way. I.e. turn crank forward 3 times then rapidly turn it back and forth 1/2 rotation. On a big mechanism presumably you can use your ears to detect a thunk that indicates correct operation. When its moving slowly the spring circuits would never get fired.

I think there is something like this in old cars (RPM detector) that extends arms on high speeds to engage other gears/switches.

And for all the toggle things its possible to put a big reset button connected to some weird actuator that disengages all the "dogs?"

RJHayward:
(Sorry, worm gear on output was misplaced, now using right-angle gear.)
   Main concerns now (and thanks coppercone2), mainly are with the forces generated by the path-switched gear being driven.  The reactive force can either cause 'more' engagement, or, the other direction of rotation can cause a disengagement force.
   So, let's say the original situation has 3 grams of 'drag' (see yellow colored big gear disk in photo), for when it's in free travel, then, when contact is made:
5 grams of reactive gear force, 'deeper' into the output gear being driven.
   In (my) theory, putting about a 5 gram spring 'detent' into the motion of the toggle piece will allow setting, by the positioner, but the use of the commutated path will avoid actually changing position (of the toggle) that is because the disengagement force (should be!) lower, as the original 3 grams of disk drag aren't involved. For that, the little center gear is driven directly.

RJHayward:
   SUCCESS ! At least this problem.....
   This (photo) shows the 'Make After Break' style of mechanical digital switching.  The highlighted parts show the path, for incoming rotary signal, from previous box.
First a rotary TAP, taking output from the 'B' channel.
With a switch, that rotary signal travels thru to the 'A' channel positioner. Purpose is to shut down the left side, or 'A' channel, that needs to be put into transparent mode.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version