General > General Technical Chat

Sharing some project planning phase: A (digital) ELECTRO-MECHANICAL Network

<< < (19/39) > >>

coppercone2:
Damn those gear towers are starting to look really complicated. I think your enclosure is stiff enough to handle it.. might need to move to something like anodized aluminum round stock shafts (might be a fair bit stiffer then dowels).

When I saw your drawings it made me wonder about gears on bent shafts (like on purpose, so the shaft might look like a sinusoid with gears at different angles with special tooth cuts).. wavy shaft drives.. I wonder if thats a thing. The closest I have seen to that is a crank shaft in a car, but its still only ground on one axis.

RJHayward:
   The overall speed ratio is a big deal, spread down this line network. Considering 10 percent (speed reduction by gears), even 8 stages or stations starts to build up 'crazy' high reduction ratios.
So, I wanted each switch box to be exactly 1 to 1 ratio, but also; perhaps a bit of (gear down reduction) would give some increased mechanical advantage, going down a line of, say, 45 feet.
   Gears, for the signal switching, are more merely to move the signal over, rather than explicit gear-down
Ratio of 0.9 overall, is not correct in photo view, starts to be in ball-park close.
(Close to 1.0 or higher.)

One idea is to have one switch box, at ratio for about 7 percent reduction, and then stringing 5 additional (serial) boxes that each are 1.0 gear ratio, in and out.

RJHayward:
...coppercone2,  coppercone2, coppercone2...
I'm writing a folk song... Kinda catchy.

If you roll this (see picture), along the flat ground, notice that the upper flex-shaft will be positioned, by whatever those cam-shaped rollers are causing, segment by segment.
  Of course, those 'cams' are ordinary plywood scraps.
Imagine, then, there could be a 'carrier', plus some modulation...of the final upper shape...

There's various, mostly messy ways to show this.
Demonstration could show the idea, of a radio having 1 khz audio modulation, on top of a 1 MHz radio signal 'carrier'.

RJHayward:
   To make a 'cam', the design involves plus or minus offset of the diameter, at whatever angle (from shaft mount hole).  At bottom, of picture, you can see 7 (plywood) segments, all laid out in accending phases.

Many other thoughts, yeah, flex shaft isa happening thing...(I'm an aging hippy, so forgive the lingo, man)

coppercone2:
Well, flat cams would be a really good reason to get a CNC router machine. I have a feeling that cams made out of aluminum on a CNC router table will be high quality.

One of my project ideas was to make a rotary 'profiler' that uses a dial indicator to map out the surface of a cam.. it seemed like a project that can be put together out of standard bushings and rods available on mcmaster. The real ones from mitutoyo are very expensive.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/ACE-H10-Shaft-Concentricity-Measuring-Testing_60578631325.html

A primitive version of this that uses bushing adapters of various kinds to center any sized shaft. I think they have dial indicators with a ball on the bottom like a ball point pen, you could use one with a extra long shaft to make a cam profile.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/275081634005?hash=item400c24a0d5:g:LSMAAOSwCRthyxWr

It is starting to look organic BTW, like a spinal column.

Also, irrelevant, but I did see this interesting technology on youtube where you can measure crank shaft bearing tolerances by using a special type of film. https://www.plastigaugeusa.com/how.html

I find it interesting how they found such a simple and cheap way to measure something that has insane tolerance requirements. Those round surfaces pose special challenges.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version