Author Topic: Shielding removal idea ?  (Read 483 times)

Offline KD0CAC JohnTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Shielding removal idea ?
« on: January 26, 2022, 09:41:14 pm »
Shielding removal idea , especially with smaller stuff like cell phones etc.
It's TOO EASY , to affect other components .
Typically hot-air station .

The idea is to connect leads to shield and put some current through it --- the idea being putting as little heat into surrounding area / parts & and most heat into shield .

Haven't seen / heard other doing , so checking to see of other have tried , or issue's doing ?

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
Re: Shielding removal idea ?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2022, 10:24:50 pm »
Connect how?  I think you'll find the amount of current needed to heat a, what is this anyway, tin plated steel shield? is rather incredible compared to the item and its size.  Like, over a hundred amps.  Plus the shield is connected to board ground which will see some current draw and voltage drop, maybe not enough to cause problems but it's a weird concern to have in the first place.

Induction heating might be something as well, but the risk of inducing voltage directly into signal traces is even higher.  (This is however the standard method for opening hermetically sealed enclosures, like for avionics.)

Anyway, there's nothing wrong with plain old hot air reflow soldering.  If you're having trouble like, bumping other components, perhaps try covering them with polyimide film or tape (be careful with tape, as it'll be under tension and may shift, making everything much worse of course), or consider getting some tooling to simplify the action (some kind of grasping and lifting jig?).  Or, consider using a preheater so that the hot air machine has less work to do, maybe possibly able to get more localized heat that way?

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

The following users thanked this post: KD0CAC John, thm_w

Offline KD0CAC JohnTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Shielding removal idea ?
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2022, 11:01:46 pm »
Tim , thanks for the reply , have considered to either buy or build a preheater & bumpup with hot air .

But throwing this to see if it could stick ;)

Maybe lean more on amperage & low voltage - and consider as a preheater .

At this point just practicing on fine pitch surface mount on stuff / working up to / or down to no-see-em [ without microscope - do have one ] .
Surface mount is not an issue for repairs , until very small and tightly packed / nearby , to generally offer repair , been doing lots of repair for yrs. , just added microscope about a yr. ago , hot air a few yrs. ago , using Metcal , JBC & Hakko .

Started electrical with auto repair , ham radio got me into more general electrical , like to research the market on best radio / gear for my tastes , then find broken radio / test gear to buy cheaper , and repair --- to me this is kinda like a to-fer - have a working gear & learn in one ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf