Author Topic: Price for shipping bulk goods from china  (Read 1353 times)

Offline PsiTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Price for shipping bulk goods from china
« on: September 30, 2022, 01:36:05 am »
So often I get charged high amounts for shipping from china suppliers for DHL/FEDEX/UPS.

For example.
I was getting large 10KG box from China to NZ and they say shipping is USD$500

If I go into my local DHL account and check how much it would cost to ship the same size/weight in other direction (from NZ to china) it's NZ $200 which is around USD $110  so 1/5 the price.
I'm sure they are adding onto their shipping cost for pnp so I wouldn't expect it to match but it seems very excessive.

So my question is, does the cost to send DHL/FEDEX/UPS change drastically depending on the direction between the same two countries?
I know DHL china is pretty overloaded so maybe they have a high cost to send in china?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2022, 01:37:44 am by Psi »
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
Re: Price for shipping bulk goods from china
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2022, 01:45:34 am »
It absolutely does. There is an imbalance. A lot more stuff gets shipped from China than to China. But the ships and planes must go back anyway, so it is better to have a cheaper price and get something out of it rather than have empty containers going back.

It is hard to tell if the price difference would be that drastic though.
Alex

Offline mairo

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2022, 02:18:22 am »
If I go into my local DHL account and check how much it would cost to ship the same size/weight in other direction (from NZ to china) it's NZ $200 which is around USD $110  so 1/5 the price.

Why not also check online how much it will cost from China to NZ with your DHL account? This of course will be based on your DHL contract prices.

The following users thanked this post: Someone, thm_w

Offline PsiTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2022, 02:56:36 am »

Why not also check online how much it will cost from China to NZ with your DHL account? This of course will be based on your DHL contract prices.

Yeah, i can't do that because my DHL account does not allow me to set a "From" address in another country. Otherwise i would try it.
I would need to get my DHL account changed to a different plan that allows for doing that

One thing i could try is giving the china supplier  my DHL account so they can charge shipping to me.
Then at least i would see how much it actually costs because i would get the bill
However i have no idea how that system works, anyone done it?  How does someone else charging to your DHL account get approved etc..
I did ring DHL up once to ask this but it was very confusing and i don't think he was vary familiar with the process either.
I was trying to figure out what sort of protection there was to stop the china supplier using my DHL account to send random stuff to others.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2022, 02:59:45 am by Psi »

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2022, 08:06:32 am »
So often I get charged high amounts for shipping from china suppliers for DHL/FEDEX/UPS.

For example.
I was getting large 10KG box from China to NZ and they say shipping is USD$500
How big is large ?  :-//

I've dumped DHL when I have a choice and instead now use FedEx although those we deal with do the arranging and charge us the freight.
Unless the 10KG is really quite large $500 is certainly OTT.

What's the frequency as maybe you could be better served placing larger orders and getting it sea freight.
I have some contacts so pop me an email if you need other options.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline PsiTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2022, 09:52:22 am »
yeah, once the product changes have settled down i will order a large number sea freight.

But atm we keep having to redesign things to manage chip shortage issues, so ordering in bulk is super risky

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2022, 10:22:28 am »
yeah, once the product changes have settled down i will order a large number sea freight.

But atm we keep having to redesign things to manage chip shortage issues, so ordering in bulk is super risky
I may be wrong but I can’t help feeling you’d get a better deal letting your suppliers arrange delivery and just add the cost into your CI.
Recently we got two 8KG PSU’s in a single package FedEx drop shipped to a NZ customer under 300USD.
Can’t help but feel you’re being tucked staying with DHL.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Jackster

• Frequent Contributor
    • PCBA.UK
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2022, 10:37:13 am »
I'm being charged right now for small <100KG shipments.

$6 per KG for China to the UK via sea (fast sea ~30 days)
$16 per KG for China to the UK via air (5-10 working days)
$6 per KG UK to China for air (5-7 working days)
(all based on a 20KG box)

Looks like you guys down under are being shafted xD

Over 100KG is about $2-3 per KG via sea and rail/road.
I don't bother with air even from China for the >100KG as I can wait 30 more days for $300-500. That is a cheap Ski holiday!

As for who arranges the shipping.
It is always better for the Chinaman to charge you shipping than a charge to your shipping account AFAIK.
They get a much better price than what DHL, UPS or FEDEX will charge you. I have looked at it multiple times to reduce upfront costs but it always works out more expensive.
Back when I used them, DHL was charging me 2-3x the price the Chinaman was going to charge me.

The only time I will arrange shipping is if I am ordering enough to fill a 20' or 40' container.
A 20' can be had for $6000 USD from China to UK in the summer months. Add an extra $1000-2000 for port fees and you are looking at a min $0.33 per KG if you fill the thing  :-DD

Offline deadlylover

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2022, 10:42:33 am »
Sometimes they have very harsh volumetric weight calculations. I buy lots from a parcel forwarder in China and for their DHL service they use L*W*H*0.2

So a 60cm*60cm*30cm large box (not even thaaat large lol) might only weigh 10kg but the shipping weight will be nearly 22kg and on their calculator ends up being USD433.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2022, 10:52:51 am »
Never is international freight based on weight alone but a volumetric weight that each product we import is what we’re charged on.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline PsiTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2022, 11:57:44 am »

I may be wrong but I can’t help feeling you’d get a better deal letting your suppliers arrange delivery and just add the cost into your CI.
Recently we got two 8KG PSU’s in a single package FedEx drop shipped to a NZ customer under 300USD.
Can’t help but feel you’re being tucked staying with DHL.

oh, i let the supplier ship whatever is cheaper at the time, sometimes its UPS, sometimes fedex, occasionally DHL.
I'm not tied to DHL except for sending, and sending from NZ isn't too bad on DHL.

Offline PsiTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2022, 12:02:11 pm »
It is always better for the Chinaman to charge you shipping than a charge to your shipping account AFAIK.
They get a much better price than what DHL, UPS or FEDEX will charge you. I have looked at it multiple times to reduce upfront costs but it always works out more expensive.

Interesting.
I just wish I new how much they were padding out the shipping cost vs what it actually costs them plus pnp.

Offline Jackster

• Frequent Contributor
    • PCBA.UK
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2022, 01:24:39 pm »

Interesting.
I just wish I new how much they were padding out the shipping cost vs what it actually costs them plus pnp.

If you do a lot of importing, you can start to get an idea of the actual shipping costs are and how much you are being overcharged.

Typically I see around $10-12/kg for air services from China to the UK. So I know my current order for a 20KG box is a tad over that but there is a 3rd party involved that handles the warehouse/manufacturer > FedEx handoff.
If the company you are buying from uses a middleman, typically you will see a slightly higher price per KG but still a better rate than your own account.
If the company sells enough via the courier, they will have their own account and will get favourable rates as they put enough through them. 

PCBway is a good example of this. They can airship 10KG via FedEx for $8/kg to the UK.
You can pay extra for smaller packets and larger goods though.
1KG is $45-50/kg and 20KG is $12.60/kg

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2022, 08:38:03 pm »
Go here: https://www.basetao.com/index/costestimate.html
Click on "ship for me".

DHL is $250 USD or $446 NZD for 10kg.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo