Author Topic: shocked on ebay: seller blocked me claiming PayPal is fraudulent and eBay is not  (Read 3080 times)

Offline DiTBhoTopic starter

• Super Contributor

So, I was looking for a spectrum analyzer on eBay and found a good one.
Unfortunately abroad, expensive importing fees and shipping cost.
I contacted the seller to have some more info ( and pic ), and he accepted to talk on WhatsApp.

When we talked about the payment I offered PayPal and his reaction went immediately crazy like a deranded dog on speed with nothing but an exclusive ultimatum:
- PayPal only with "friends or family"
- eBay paymment

The eBay paymment redirects me to PayPal, so I asked which is the difference?
It's PayPal in both cases. Just, passing through eBay means more money for me.
And he blocked me on WhatsApp and eBay with nothing but "PayPal is fraudulent, ebay is not".

How did I pay for my new DSO?
Rigol accepted Paypal. Was it fraudulent?

How did I pay for my new CP400?
Casio accepted PayPal. Was it fraudulent?

Etc ...

I don't think eBay offers more "protection"  :-//
The opposite of courage is not cowardice, it is conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow

The following users thanked this post: austfox

Offline tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
My guess is he's been scammed in the past by people just sending a normal PayPal transfer for goods and these are not associated with a transaction.  You can send money under other than the friends/family moniker for goods but unless there's a precise description of goods, PayPal may not cover the seller's claim.  eBay take a cut of the transaction fee in part to cover the liability to sellers from fraud.  So it costs more because both buyer and seller get some protection (though definitely more in favour of the buyer)

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, JPortici, DiTBho

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
eBay offers an additional layer of protection/leverage if needed. But normally, it's the buyer that should be worried, not so much the seller. So, that's a bit odd. On the other hand: the world is full of wonderful new ways to rip people off so you can't really blame him for being cautious...

The following users thanked this post: DiTBho

Offline Jackster

• Frequent Contributor
    • PCBA.UK
eBay seller here.

eBay moved to eBay payments a couple years ago for a lot of places.
They still offer PayPal but the the transaction goes via eBay payments.

PayPal has a history of being over protective of the buyer (more so than eBay) so a lot of sellers will only accept eBay payments now (even with eBays fees) as it is slightly more fair towards sellers.

The seller has probably had a bad experience with PayPal so no longer accepts payments via them.
PayPal also sometimes charges sellers if the buyer does a chargeback.

PayPal is also the payment provider of choice for scammers...

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
My guess is he's been scammed in the past by people just sending a normal PayPal transfer for goods and these are not associated with a transaction.  You can send money under other than the friends/family moniker for goods but unless there's a precise description of goods, PayPal may not cover the seller's claim.  eBay take a cut of the transaction fee in part to cover the liability to sellers from fraud.  So it costs more because both buyer and seller get some protection (though definitely more in favour of the buyer)
This! It is rather foolish to propose to a seller to do a transaction outside Ebay. That is straight from a scammer's playbook.

If you want to make a better deal, figure out whether the seller is a company that is also setup to deal with customers directly. If yes, you can contact them through email or phone and propose to buy an item they have listed on Ebay directly. But again: you can't combine buying something from Ebay with the financial transaction bypassing Ebay.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2022, 02:05:50 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza, james_s, DiTBho

Online wraper

• Supporter
PayPal has a history of being over protective of the buyer (more so than eBay) so a lot of sellers will only accept eBay payments now (even with eBays fees) as it is slightly more fair towards sellers.
Really? As a seller you literally cannot refuse a return if buyer selects a return option where something is wrong on sellers part. And then just ship a box of bricks or some other waste.
This! It is rather foolish to propose to a seller to do a transaction outside Ebay. That is straight from a scammer's playbook.
Not foolish at all, saves a lot in fees, especially if it's an occasional seller who does not pay for store subscription. On paypal as a seller you will at least will get some human interaction before scammed out of your money, and buyer will need to provide some proof of their claims. On ebay you will be scammed out of your money automatically.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2022, 02:17:52 pm by wraper »

Online jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
Re: eBay and PayPal
They began together and are still joined at the hip, so to speak.   Earlier this year, PayPal insisted on a mobile smart phone for 2FA, which I don't have and don't intend to buy just for PayPal.  I closed PayPal and have been using a credit card since then.  I was a little concerned but have not had any problems.  I do not buy a lot off eBay as its prices are generally higher than I can get elsewhere, except for used items.

So far, none of the other financial institutions/sellers (e.g., Amazon) with which I deal require a mobile smart phone.  2FA from my desktop is handled usually by a landline; although, one very small entity sends the code back to my PC.  I guess that's not much worse than someone using a smartphone and getting the 2FA code back on the same device.

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
**snip** specially if it's an occasional seller who does not pay for store subscription**snip

Doesn't make a difference.

Online wraper

• Supporter
**snip** specially if it's an occasional seller who does not pay for store subscription**snip

How it does not make a difference when ebay fee is 2-2.5 times lower for many categories (computers and parts in particular) with a store subscription. https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/store-selling-fees?id=4809 scroll down for final value fees.

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
Not foolish at all, saves a lot in fees, especially if it's an occasional seller who does not pay for store subscription. On paypal as a seller you will at least will get some human interaction before scammed out of your money, and buyer will need to provide some proof of their claims. On ebay you will be scammed out of your money automatically.

Its foolish if Ebay catches wind of this they can ban your account, and if you have pending payments you might be out hundreds or thousands of dollars.
If you are 100% sure they won't find out, and contact was made via phone number or via this forum or something, its ok, but some still wouldn't bother.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
Ebay strictly forbids doing deals outside of their system. If someone tried to get me to do this I would also assume they're trying to scam me and would refuse to deal with them. There are lots of scammers out there.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, 807, DiTBho

• Super Contributor
Ebay strictly forbids doing deals outside of their system. If someone tried to get me to do this I would also assume they're trying to scam me and would refuse to deal with them. There are lots of scammers out there.

to me it seems a crazy reaction!

eBay has the crazy rule you cannot give someone you phone-number to have a talk/clarification/more pics/details, and to do so, you have to pass you phone-number through a pic, which is just crazy sinc they monitor pics, and if they catch you ... your account will be banned.

I bought a monocoque carbon bicycle frame (90ish) for 800 euro on eBay, very expensive considering I had to import it, the seller refused to have a talk on Whatsup/Skype, and as result ... I trusted eBay and got nothing but a cracked carbon frame, which I had to return to the seller wasting my time and money.

So, I could say the same: there are lots of scammers-sellers out there on eBay, too!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2022, 02:24:12 am by DiTBho »
The opposite of courage is not cowardice, it is conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow

Offline Stray Electron

• Super Contributor
They began together and are still joined at the hip, so to speak.   Earlier this year, PayPal insisted on a mobile smart phone for 2FA, which I don't have and don't intend to buy just for PayPal.

What is 2FA?   I have a mobile phone and it's not connected to E-bay or PayPal (and NEVER will be!). But less than five minutes ago I  made a BIN purchase from Ebay and paid for it will PP and I didn't have any trouble with the transaction. I make from 2 to about 5 purchases per week on E-bay and pay for all of them with PP and I haven't had any problems doing so and I've been doing that since PP began.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
to me it seems a crazy reaction!

eBay has the crazy rule you cannot give someone you phone-number to have a talk/clarification/more pics/details, and to do so, you have to pass you phone-number through a pic, which is just crazy sinc they monitor pics, and if they catch you ... your account will be banned.

I bought a monocoque carbon bicycle frame (90ish) for 800 euro on eBay, very expensive considering I had to import it, the seller refused to have a talk on Whatsup/Skype, and as result ... I trusted eBay and got nothing but a cracked carbon frame, which I had to return to the seller wasting my time and money.

So, I could say the same: there are lots of scammers-sellers out there on eBay, too!

It's obvious why they do that, they take a cut of the transaction so they don't want people using their service for free and bypassing the cut they take. I don't like ebay either but doing that could arguably be called theft of services.

I'm not sure what trusting ebay has to do with receiving a damaged bicycle. If you had bypassed ebay you might have been left holding the bag.

Offline Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
They began together and are still joined at the hip, so to speak.   Earlier this year, PayPal insisted on a mobile smart phone for 2FA, which I don't have and don't intend to buy just for PayPal.
What is 2FA?   I have a mobile phone and it's not connected to E-bay or PayPal (and NEVER will be!). But less than five minutes ago I  made a BIN purchase from Ebay and paid for it will PP and I didn't have any trouble with the transaction. I make from 2 to about 5 purchases per week on E-bay and pay for all of them with PP and I haven't had any problems doing so and I've been doing that since PP began.
You'll start hearing 2FA (two factor authentication) a lot more. PayPal has always had different classes/thresholds/types of accounts behind the scenes so you may be in a low risk group/country/funding and not be required to use it. Its not always necessary to associate 2FA with a phone number or app, some accounts (including some PayPal accounts) can use 3rd party code generators:
https://authy.com/guides/paypal/

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
Didn't ebay stop payment processing years ago in some countries, in favour of Paypal?

Offline Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
Didn't ebay stop payment processing years ago in some countries, in favour of Paypal?
It flips back and forth, at one point they required every seller to offer PayPal (buyers "choice" but PayPal was so heavily defaulted/promoted that most sales went through it). They did own PayPal at one point.....   now they don't own PayPal and have setup their own payment system which funnels the money though a single choke point to make it easier to extract the sellers fees (and slows down payments to sellers, and requires sellers to send packages before they have the money).

Next year it'll probably be something different again!

Online JPortici

• Super Contributor
It flips back and forth, at one point they required every seller to offer PayPal (buyers "choice" but PayPal was so heavily defaulted/promoted that most sales went through it). They did own PayPal at one point.....   now they don't own PayPal and have setup their own payment system which funnels the money though a single choke point to make it easier to extract the sellers fees (and slows down payments to sellers, and requires sellers to send packages before they have the money).

Next year it'll probably be something different again!

AND (at least here) require the seller to link a bank account to ebay. That is a big nono for me. I sell probably one thing a year and between the ever increasing fees, and the fees of a separate bank account if i want to keep thinks insualted, the fact that it doesn't let me use real prices for shipping but only their suggested ones (believe me i tried), i just don't want to bother. I'll run over the damn thing if i can't give it away. Or use other platforms, facebook marketplace has been much more effective.
It's no wonder all (most) individuals selling used stuff have disappeared, in ebay europe at least, there are a tiny fraction of what used to be before ebay changed the payment scheme.

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor

How it does not make a difference when ebay fee is 2-2.5 times lower for many categories (computers and parts in particular) with a store subscription.

Let me rephrase: doesn't make a difference for me (selling T&M).

• Super Contributor
I'm not sure what trusting ebay has to do with receiving a damaged bicycle. If you had bypassed ebay you might have been left holding the bag.

How such a seller can have negative feedbacks *REMOVED* if he/she sells junk?

What does eBay do about trust? You can't share any videos to check the quality of the product you're willing to buy, you can't request a face-to-face interview on Skype, you just have to "trust" their ridiculous feedback system, and I don't know how, but the seller cleaned up and it's not the first time I've seen this happen.

I didn't go over eBay on that occasion, couldn't phone the seller as eBay blocks phone numbers(1), and at the end of the month I had nothing but more money down the drain than if I had dealt directly with the seller!

(1) if you write it in a PM, the message is automatically deleted

• Super Contributor
It's no wonder all (most) individuals selling used stuff have disappeared, in eBay europe at least, there are a tiny fraction of what used to be before ebay changed the payment scheme.

Yes, I noticed. Hope 2023 is better.

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor

How such a seller can have negative feedbacks *REMOVED* if he/she sells junk?

I had two independent bad experiences on ebay lately, buying two small parts from HongKong.
Both parts were not what I had ordered and the sellers were not willing to discuss it.

I told them, that I will leave negative feedback if they would not be willing to work with me.
One seller replied: "I don't care, I will just delete the negative feedback"
Well, I gave both sellers negative feedback with a good explanation of why.
And in both accounts the negative feedback showed up right away.

Well, the next day, both of my negative feedbacks were gone.
WTF  :-//

How can they do this?

I am missing the old eBay !
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline magic

• Super Contributor
The days of good person-to-person sale platforms appear to be over. The commercial market has vastly outgrown private sales so that's where the money is now and what all the players concentrate on. And the auction sites that still bother with P2P appear to have realized that feedback systems and punishing dishonest sellers reduce the amount of sales (no shit, sherlock) and this is their official excuse for reducing or castrating feedback. Basically, they are becoming scammer's paradise to increase their traffic and commissions. And if you don't like being scammed, remember that you can always buy from commercial sellers, at even higher price and higher commission to the auction site.

In Poland we have an old eBay clone called Allegro, which is doing everything to push private sales onto a separate sub-site that they started, where there is no feedback at all, by design. If you don't like what you receive, you can try their customer protection, which takes days of back-and-forth with the seller and their employees trying to work out what has happened and who is scamming whom, and if your evidence is convincing enough they will pressure the seller to make things right for you and occasionally refund you right away in cases of obvious scam. But as long as the seller cooperates and grudgingly accepts a return, they consider it a success and he can continue to list the same rubbish and look for new suckers who will consider the process too much waste of their time. Negative feedback? Forget it. "It discourages buyers, reduces sales, unduly punishes sellers, blah blah blah."

Even better is a classifieds site, OLX, which recently realized that there is more money in sales by mail than in person, so they try to promote themselves as such a site by offering escrow service. Looks fine until you read the fine print: they only cover sellers failing to deliver the item at all, if the item is damaged it's not their problem. They won't even tell you who it is that you are buying from. You go to the police, have them request the identity of the seller from OLX, then go after the asshole.

Fuck beancounters, man.

Online wraper

• Supporter
I told them, that I will leave negative feedback if they would not be willing to work with me.
One seller replied: "I don't care, I will just delete the negative feedback"
That was a mistake. Threatening with negative feedback is a reason for its removal according to ebay policy. https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/feedback-policies/feedback-extortion-policy?id=4230
On other hand, sellers could do nothing if you requested a return with not as described as a reason. They would even be required to pay return shipping cost.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, 807

Offline magic

• Super Contributor
"feedback extortion"

Yeah, another good excuse :-DD

It's no wonder all (most) individuals selling used stuff have disappeared, in eBay europe at least, there are a tiny fraction of what used to be before ebay changed the payment scheme.
Yes, I noticed. Hope 2023 is better.
I expect 100% the opposite. Ever since the proliferation of Internet-enabled smartphones, everything on the Internet is getting worse and the trend will continue for a foreseeable future until it really can't possibly get worse. I can't even imagine what the end will be :scared:
« Last Edit: November 29, 2022, 11:46:46 am by magic »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf