Author Topic: shocked on ebay: seller blocked me claiming PayPal is fraudulent and eBay is not  (Read 3173 times)

Offline DiTBhoTopic starter

• Super Contributor

How such a seller can have negative feedbacks *REMOVED* if he/she sells junk?

I had two independent bad experiences on ebay lately, buying two small parts from HongKong.
Both parts were not what I had ordered and the sellers were not willing to discuss it.

I told them, that I will leave negative feedback if they would not be willing to work with me.
One seller replied: "I don't care, I will just delete the negative feedback"
Well, I gave both sellers negative feedback with a good explanation of why.
And in both accounts the negative feedback showed up right away.

Well, the next day, both of my negative feedbacks were gone.
WTF  :-//

How can they do this?

I am missing the old eBay !

Exactly what happened to me!
Sorry to hear it happened to you.
The opposite of courage is not cowardice, it is conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow

• Super Contributor

This is a second scam on ebay.
Look at the description, Grade A? Like new?
Received a damage one, say Grade D?
Packaged into a bag  :palm:

I have described exactly what happened in my feedback.
No insults, only details.

Not as described.
Not grade A.
Several scratches.
Improperly packaged.

"your feedback comment has been removed by eBay"

For no reason specified.

This way it sucks, frankly!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2022, 03:42:31 pm by DiTBho »
The opposite of courage is not cowardice, it is conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow

Online magic

• Super Contributor
Well, in all fairness, I never threaten to leave neg fb.
I just do it when it becomes clear I'm not getting anything more from the seller :P

• Super Contributor
That's exactly what I did!
Today I received your parcel, the item is not as you described, can you solve it?
No!
Ok, negative feedback and let eBay solve it.

5 days later, your negative feedback comment has been removed.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2022, 03:41:45 pm by DiTBho »

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
That's exactly what I did!
Today I received your parcel, the item is not as you described, can you solve it?
No!
Ok, negative feedback and let eBay solve it.
In such cases you open a case and let Ebay deal with it. I received some fake chips as well and got a refund after opening a case. When something is wrong, I always open a case with Ebay.

Although I have to say that I rarely use Ebay for buying stuff from China nowadays. Aliexpress is cheaper and if I need it fast, I buy from Amazon. In both cases there is no hassle with paying VAT and customs processing fees.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2022, 05:14:40 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
I have described exactly what happened in my feedback.
No insults, only details.

Not as described.
Not grade A.
Several scratches.
Improperly packaged.

"your feedback comment has been removed by eBay"
Again, the problem was not in your feedback. But that you threatened seller to leave a negative feedback. I bet seller thought "yay" when reading that. If you opened a return case, seller would not be able to do anything about that. Ebay literally does not have an option to refuse a return if certain reason was selected by buyer. Seller can contact buyer but if buyer does not close the case and seller does not accept the return within a time limit, refund is issued automatically.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2022, 05:26:41 pm by wraper »

• Super Contributor
Again, the problem was not in your feedback. But that you threatened seller to leave a negative feedback

I didn't! I simly asked to solve the problem!
And the seller didn't collaborate.
So I left a negative feedback!

Are you saying one should not communicate with the seller and instead open a claim on eBay?
At least with Paypal you can try to solve things friendly before escalating to a formal claim!

• Super Contributor
I d like to sell some stuff on eBay.
As seller, I wonder: what if the buyer opens a claim and sends back junk?
Will I loose money and goods?
Or will eBay protect me?

Perhaps, I'd better use Facebook market to sell stuff.
Talking about repaired rear derailleurs and bicycle parts.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
Again, the problem was not in your feedback. But that you threatened seller to leave a negative feedback

I didn't! I simly asked to solve the problem!
And the seller didn't collaborate.
So I left a negative feedback!

Are you saying one should not communicate with the seller and instead open a claim on eBay?
At least with Paypal you can try to solve things friendly before escalating to a formal claim!
Sorry, that was said by HighVoltage. As of now, opening a return request on ebay is not the same as claim/dispute. Regardless if seller agrees or not to take item back and/or refund the money, opening a return request is the way to do it.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
I d like to sell some stuff on eBay.
As seller, I wonder: what if the buyer opens a claim and sends back junk?
Will I loose money and goods?
Or will eBay protect me?

Perhaps, I'd better use Facebook market to sell stuff.
Talking about repaired rear derailleurs and bicycle parts.

Unfortunately yes, that can happen. Ebay almost always sides with the buyer in a dispute. Personally I have not ever had that happen but it's always a possibility. It is one of several reasons I don't do international sales, it's much harder to go after somebody that screws you in a different country.

Offline Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
On other hand, sellers could do nothing if you requested a return with not as described as a reason. They would even be required to pay return shipping cost.
Depends on the region and specifics of the sale, also the "better" scammers have found ways to even get around returns (the buyer is left without a product or the money, and the scammer has both)

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
AND (at least here) require the seller to link a bank account to ebay. That is a big nono for me. I sell probably one thing a year and between the ever increasing fees, and the fees of a separate bank account if i want to keep thinks insualted, the fact that it doesn't let me use real prices for shipping but only their suggested ones (believe me i tried), i just don't want to bother. I'll run over the damn thing if i can't give it away. Or use other platforms, facebook marketplace has been much more effective.
It's no wonder all (most) individuals selling used stuff have disappeared, in ebay europe at least, there are a tiny fraction of what used to be before ebay changed the payment scheme.

There are a number of companies offering free no-fee bank accounts, for me I use prepaid mastercard "account", I'm sure Italy has similar services.

But I agree, if its some household goods or a few sales a year, its not worth it.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline alm

• Super Contributor
The eBay paymment redirects me to PayPal, so I asked which is the difference?
Are direct credit card payments through eBay not available on eBay UK? For me on checkout eBay offer the choice of paying directly through eBay with CC, or via PayPal. The former has not involved PayPal for the past couple of years.

AND (at least here) require the seller to link a bank account to ebay. That is a big nono for me.
What's the big deal of linking your bank account? The only thing they can do with it is a SEPA direct debit, which you can dispute with your bank within 8 weeks. It's even easier than disputing a credit card charge. And as already mentioned, there's a number of fintechs (e.g. N26, Revolut, OpenBank) offering free bank accounts if you do want to keep things separate.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor

I had two independent bad experiences on ebay lately, buying two small parts from HongKong.
Both parts were not what I had ordered and the sellers were not willing to discuss it.

I told them, that I will leave negative feedback if they would not be willing to work with me.

How can they do this?

Don't threaten the sellers with negative feedback, just open a claim for "item not as described" and in most cases ebay will refund you with minimal hassle.

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor

How can they do this?

Don't threaten the sellers with negative feedback, just open a claim for "item not as described" and in most cases ebay will refund you with minimal hassle.

You might be right, that my mentioning of negative feedback caused this removal of the negative feedback.
However, normally in the past it said something like: "This comment was removed by ebay"
In theses two cases, my negative comment just vanished.

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf