Author Topic: Shoddy netbook turned weather/info station.  (Read 1505 times)

Offline XOIIOTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Shoddy netbook turned weather/info station.
« on: May 06, 2016, 02:23:07 am »
Thought I'd share something which I finished up earlier today, I figure some people here also have some crappy netbooks kicking around that they didn't know what to do with. (text copy pasted from a reddit forum since I'm lazy)

Hey all, so I had this crappy old netbook that still worked, but isn't blazing fast, and has various issues, no keyboard, and it thinks the control key is held down at all times, as well as caps lock being inverted, and the touchpad isn't too reliable either.

I also live with someone who always asks what the temperature is like outside, and that means I have to stop what I'm doing to go and check, or just get annoyed and say "how should I know?"

Anyhow, I decided to set this up, taking the old netbook apart (Even more), and sticking it on the wall so it's easy to quickly check what the temperature is, but this could just as easily be set up to monitor your servers and display critical information anywhere in your house.

The project did fail in a sense, as I wanted the mainboard to be hidden originally, but with the tools and things I have, it just didn't work out, especially with the wooden frame I first grabbed, so I decided, why not make it a display piece too?

I got this plastic frame, it needed some cutting so the LCD would fit in, half a millimeter or so on the left and right is hidden, but it's not really that big of a deal for this use. I also had to cut in so that the motherboard went in the frame a bit to fit under the lcd, sadly this means a portion of it and the wifi adapter aren't visible through the glass :/

After that though, it was a matter of hot gluing in the glass, the lcd, and the mainboard, as well as various other bits, such as the 8gb flash memory hard drive, the speakers, wifi antennae (one visible through the glass), and the webcam and microphone, as well as tidying everything up.

After that it was just a matter of getting vnc to work on it, and now I have a headless picture frame display... thingy. Sadly not a touchscreen, but for this purpose, and with how slow the thing is, that's not an issue at all.

http://imgur.com/a/NbLIh (If anyone knows how to embed the album it would be appreciated, I've seen it here before)

https://youtu.be/sTfK8WCZoNs

Offline tonyarkles

• Regular Contributor
Re: Shoddy netbook turned weather/info station.
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 04:36:29 pm »
Hi from Saskatoon!

Offline XOIIOTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Re: Shoddy netbook turned weather/info station.
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2016, 06:11:51 pm »
Hi from Saskatoon!

Well, what are the chances of that? *waves*

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf