Poll

Should Dave go on the Discovery Channel's Daily Planet Show?

Yes, do it!
140 (86.4%)
No, it's a trap!
22 (13.6%)

Total Members Voted: 155

Author Topic: Should Dave Be On TV?  (Read 29474 times)

Offline DavidDLC

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Should Dave Be On TV?
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2014, 02:47:56 am »
A lot of people will see you and they potentially can jump to your page and forum.

It will say of course yes !

David.

Offline orion242

• Supporter
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2014, 03:50:09 am »
Yes, though clean up first so they don't sell the footage to the Hoarders shows

I’ll second that.  :-DD

As for getting paid…  I think that’s dreaming.  I’m sure for every person that turns them down, there are 4500 others that would die for the chance.  Until Dave is a football star, famous musician, or invents free energy, I can’t see them shelling out anything.  I would spend my time trying to barter final veto on the piece, over payment.

Anything to get your name out there in a positive light, is good business.

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2014, 04:13:09 am »
Can't think of any legitimate reason why not.  It could get you scores or 100s of new subscribers.
It could get you seen by some other talent scout or network who might want to pay you for a regular segment or feature.
And you could experience first-hand how pro video crew does lighting and setup, etc.

I know it seems like a lot of fiddling around hooking up your Sennheiser wireless mic,  But decent audio is a huge production-value quantum increment.

If the Senny kit is too fiddly, take a look at the Sony ECM-AW3 kit. If you have the Sony camcorder with the right hot-shoe, it is essentially trivial to deploy. And it delivers some quite remarkable features and performance for an extraordinarily low price. I'd like to see a teardown peek inside as well.

Offline Afrotechmods

• Supporter
    • Afrotech
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2014, 04:14:54 am »
Congratulations! That is awesome news! Daily Planet is a pretty respectable show so I'd say the odds of any "ambush interview" type of stuff is pretty low. If you are worried about being misrepresented it might be a good idea to keep a small hidden camera/GoPro running so you can show your side of the story. You are a great presenter and would portray EE in a positive light for the community.

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2014, 04:17:18 am »
Publicity is good, but do we really need more Canucks here, eh?   :-\
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 04:18:57 am by Wytnucls »

Offline orion242

• Supporter
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2014, 04:27:56 am »
Most have to pay for air time.

I would also look at rights to post the final piece on your channel.

Offline vk3yedotcom

• Frequent Contributor
    • vk3ye dot com (radio articles and projects)
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2014, 04:32:03 am »
I voted yes.

Maybe put up some incidental advertising - eg eevblog.com signs or LED displays up so no matter where they point the camera one will be in the shot. 

Or maybe a URL taped to the corner of a CRO screen so that will be in view when demonstrating stuff.

Here's an example of what you might get when a non-tehcnical TV journo meets an Australian electronics engineer/tinkerer (early '90s 7:30 report): 

Note how they zoomed in on all the idiosyncracies (although Julie perhaps had way more than you).
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 04:33:51 am by vk3yedotcom »
NEW! Ham Radio Get Started: Your success in amateur radio. One of 8 ebooks available on amateur radio topics. Details at  https://books.vk3ye.com

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2014, 06:03:10 am »
If the video is going to be only broadcasted in Canada that will not give you much publicity, Canada is too small of a electronics market. See if you can negotiate with them getting a copy of the video and posting it on EEVBlog web site.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2014, 06:21:03 am »
I know it seems like a lot of fiddling around hooking up your Sennheiser wireless mic,  But decent audio is a huge production-value quantum increment.

I think I have some of the best audio of any of the blogger out there already. It's not absolutely studio quality perfect, but pretty darn good I think.

If the Senny kit is too fiddly, take a look at the Sony ECM-AW3 kit. If you have the Sony camcorder with the right hot-shoe, it is essentially trivial to deploy. And it delivers some quite remarkable features and performance for an extraordinarily low price. I'd like to see a teardown peek inside as well.

What is so good about that Sony bluetooth kit
I already have a top-line pro Senheiser, and they are almost equal in deployment ability.
You still have to change the battery on the transmitter, you still have to fiddle with the lapel, and you still have the same issues with turning your head.

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2014, 06:26:13 am »
The rumble in his gut will be his best guide.

If he is hungry for more then he should, but if he is running to the dunny then he shouldn't.

Muttley
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 12:20:38 am by Muttley Snickers »

Offline SgtRock

• Supporter
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2014, 08:27:15 am »
Dear Dave:

--Go for it. Maybe Woz will see it and agree to an interview. It could happen. I also want you to do a simulcast with Leo Laporte, maybe after CDC. You are good enough, you are smart enough and doggonit people like you.

"In choosing a hypothesis there is no virtue in being timid. I clearly would have been burned at the stake in another age."
Thomas Gold 1920 - 2004

Best Regards
Clear Ether

Offline FrankBuss

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2014, 09:40:22 am »
You should do it. But maybe ask for the footage. If they record it with one of those big professional broadcast cams, you could upload it as a very high quality Youtube video. And the best: you'll have your own cameraman. But I guess they don't want a full review, but just an interview and film some gadgets in your lab?

Once I heard from a retro fan who has a big collection of old video game and computer systems, that a camera team was there. They filmed for some hours, he explained lots of in-depth technical and interesting things, but the final broadcasted video was like 2 minutes, half of the time tracking shots of the systems and monitors, and a commentator saying some trivial things.
So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Electronics, hiking, retro-computing, electronic music etc.: https://www.youtube.com/c/FrankBussProgrammer

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
  • It is hot until proved not.
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2014, 04:28:32 pm »
Demand that you get to see the final edit before broadcast, get that in writing to your lawyer before you even start. Also make sure you have a say in editing, you have to work on the premise that the editor and producers are total idiots, if there is anything technical that you say or do they will screw it up in edit. Time is of the essence with them and they will drop anything to get the time slot right.   

Offline 22swg

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2014, 04:38:28 pm »
Bound to be more interesting than the reality rubbish they transmit here in UK ...  I only watch Prof Brian Cox, and Sir David Attenborough...  oh and Red Dwarf ! 
Check your tongue, your belly and your lust. Better to enjoy someone else’s madness.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2014, 05:48:19 pm »
Bound to be more interesting than the reality rubbish they transmit here in UK ...  I only watch Prof Brian Cox, and Sir David Attenborough...  oh and Red Dwarf !

Waiting for that on DVD, I did a go through of all the old shows in about a month. Bought the "only the shows" DVD set, otherwise known as a doorstop for a safe.

As to the TV exposure, go for it, it can do nothing but good, increasing the Dave brand. As said above get the rights to post it, and to have some editorial say, along with all rights to the unused footage ( in high def, you can use it to make an epic commentary track) and you will be golden. Label everything with the channel name and blog so you get free hard to edit out product placement, and wear an EEVBlog T shirt for the whole shooting, possibly in 2 colours to give the editor a heart attack for continuity.

Offline SirNick

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2014, 07:24:54 pm »
I would be really surprised if a commercial TV program would give some piddly interviewee editorial rights.  If I were the producer, I would walk away on the spot because the candidate is clearly a meddling control freak, and therefore not worth the trouble.

Be accommodating, tasteful, and enjoy some free exposure.  The EEVblog T-shirt idea is a good one, but please don't make the place look like a billboard on the Vegas strip.  That's just tacky.

Online Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2014, 08:21:17 pm »
Go for it! It's years since I've had Discovery, but they always had some decent enough programmes like Wheeler Dealers (UK production), and How it's made (Canadian production). However, just like TLC (The Learning Channel) has switched over to "reality" shite like Honey Boo Boo, I believe Discovery has turned to shite like UFO's, paranormal, and Bigfoot. I think the Canadians are more decent than the USA media though.

Offline Sionyn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2014, 08:22:08 pm »
mainstream media is dead, unless their paying you for it dave tell them were to shove it. These talentless people who want to make a buck off your success hoping you will be enticed by a appearance on tv. They do it all the time stealing youtuber content, at least their asking you.

unless your getting a cut from sales and advertising profits they make id say no.

i can understand the drawer to be on tv, but i think these guys are just in it for them selves and see this a easyway to make a quick buck
eecs guy

Offline jancumps

• Supporter
  • New Low
« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2014, 08:27:15 pm »
mainstream media is dead, unless their paying you for it dave tell them were to shove it. These talentless people who want to make a buck off your success hoping you will be enticed by a appearance on tv. They do it all the time stealing youtuber content, at least their asking you.

unless your getting a cut from sales and advertising profits they make id say no.

i can understand the drawer to be on tv, but i think these guys are just in it for them selves and see this a easyway to make a quick buck
It' a free once-in-a-lifetime experience. I guess it would be a fun exercise, whatever the result is.

Offline Sionyn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2014, 09:39:53 pm »
true, there is that you have to weigh it like others have mentioned here this just a cheep way to make a tv show, which i think is quite exploitive of its participants, since they benefit very little from it.

like i said if they pay dave and let him have control of edit fine but from what ive seen they just expect him to do it for free

take a look at starsuckers you'll be very surprised what people will do for fame

eecs guy

n45048

« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2014, 09:52:02 pm »
Give them small morsels of what you do. Make out like you have some secrets under your sleeve and a major project in the works (a black sheet draped over something should keep them guessing)  :-DD

In all seriousness, I'd be making sure they plug your website.

Offline LabSpokane

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46 on: November 04, 2014, 11:14:03 pm »
Dave,

In all honesty, don't do it. Disco is pretty much the polar opposite of your presentation style and values, and I think you'll be profoundly unhappy with the result.  Some regard all publicity as good publicity, but you are not that person.

Offline victor

• Regular Contributor
  • Boy who writes code and take things apart
    • vitim.us
« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2014, 11:46:14 pm »
I would agree with the condition that I should review the editing before it goes live. As someone mentioned if they do piss poor editing it can ridicule you or make you look like something you don't want.
your body is limited, but not your mind

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2014, 04:36:57 am »
I think I have some of the best audio of any of the blogger out there already. It's not absolutely studio quality perfect, but pretty darn good I think.
Rather low standards to compare yourself to.
I suspect you won't find a pro crew using on-camera microphones. 
The practice is roundly despised in production circles.

The advantages of the Sony bluetooth gadget are:
Easier to deploy:
1) Snap the receiver into the hot shoe (no cables to plug in, no camera settings to fiddle with).
2) Clip the transmitter on your shirt (built-in mic no separate clips, cables, plugs, etc.)
Two-way communication
Talkback from the director back to the talent (clearly not a feature you need).

Offline JohnS_AZ

• Frequent Contributor
    • About.me
« Reply #49 on: November 05, 2014, 04:55:31 am »
I voted Do It Dave.

There may be no up-side, but I can't really see a down-side.

What WOULD be cool ... get someone to run YOUR camera and record THEM recording YOU for a post.

Oh, and DO tell us when it happens so we can jump on the DropCam feed.

@JohnS_AZ
I'm either at my bench, here, or on PokerStars.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf