Poll

Should Dave go on the Discovery Channel's Daily Planet Show?

Yes, do it!
140 (86.4%)
No, it's a trap!
22 (13.6%)

Total Members Voted: 155

Author Topic: Should Dave Be On TV?  (Read 29471 times)

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Re: Should Dave Be On TV?
« Reply #50 on: November 05, 2014, 05:46:59 am »
Demand that you get to see the final edit before broadcast, get that in writing to your lawyer before you even start. Also make sure you have a say in editing, you have to work on the premise that the editor and producers are total idiots, if there is anything technical that you say or do they will screw it up in edit. Time is of the essence with them and they will drop anything to get the time slot right.

You're kidding right?
No network will agree to have a pleb on for a few minutes have a say and sign-off on their video editing. Not going to happen.
Lawyer? You must be double kidding  :palm:

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #51 on: November 05, 2014, 05:49:10 am »
I would be really surprised if a commercial TV program would give some piddly interviewee editorial rights.  If I were the producer, I would walk away on the spot because the candidate is clearly a meddling control freak, and therefore not worth the trouble.

That is precisely what would happen, I'd bet my life on it.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #52 on: November 05, 2014, 05:57:16 am »
Rather low standards to compare yourself to.
I suspect you won't find a pro crew using on-camera microphones. 
The practice is roundly despised in production circles.

Who cares?
Fact is my audio is already ahead of most other comparable youtube channels, I get a lot of praise for it in fact, and it is more than adequate for the intended purpose.
For me to faff about for the extra 1% here really isn't worth my while.

BTW, no pro crew would ever use that Sony mic you recommended. And you still have the turning head problem associated with lapel mics. I know, I have a pro lapel mic and do use it where appropriate.
BTW, I don't know what you are talking about with the Sony ECM-AW3, it does not plug into a hot shoe.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 06:03:40 am by EEVblog »

Offline GEuser

• Frequent Contributor
  • Is Leaving
« Reply #53 on: November 05, 2014, 06:25:44 am »
I'll take the opportunity to  :rant:  :rant:  :rant:

And don't forget to turn up the compression or these days it might be a "fixed standard" but I tells ya what and imo it absolutely sounds disgusting and very un-natural , that stuff on Tv and all those news , weather , and all sorts of stuff that is broadcast and nearly everone too .

Those suck-in breathing sounds and the breath out sounds , the yelling sounds , the small yet loud squeaky farting sounds Ha Ha Ha , the professional audio old timers from way back would be turning in their graves I reckon with the supposed great audio quality of today .

It reminds me of the stereotypical Cb radio operator (and ham these days) where everything is turned up to the right , so what I'm ranting about is all those supposedly professional audio engineers that do the weather and news are "just Cb'ers" using a different moniker .

over and out

Bring back Tubes ! , proper mics , and vote me for president!
Soon

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54 on: November 05, 2014, 07:02:18 am »
This is Natasha Stillwell she used to co-host the show. Could be the interviewer.

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55 on: November 05, 2014, 07:12:28 am »
This is Natasha Stillwell she used to co-host the show. Could be the interviewer.

I doubt Ms Stillwell will travel from Scotland to Australia to interview Dave. He ain't that famous  ;)

I think the best deal Dave could get is an agreement that he is allowed to record a bit how the team works, and a few shots of their equipment. And maybe a vague assurance that they won't make him look ridiculous.
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Offline Yago

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #56 on: November 05, 2014, 10:59:59 am »
Wonder if the FTDI thing has influenced them in comming forward at this time?

Also...
What's the crack with referring to yourself in the third person?
It sound weird to my ears, makes sense if there are more than one person in the "company", or perhaps a quirk of language, but dunno ???

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #57 on: November 05, 2014, 11:13:58 am »
Generally I would go for it but would talk to them further to try to get a feel for what they are really looking for and whether they will help you.
Enthusiastic scientists and communicators  are relatively hot property at present e.g. Dave Attenborough, Brian Cox, in Aus Karl Kruszelnicki, Adam Spencer. I can't see what sort of "hatchet job" they could do unless they tried the 'mad scientist' tack but that is very unlikely I would guess.
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline Yago

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #58 on: November 05, 2014, 12:19:02 pm »
I can't see a big problem either.

On the negative:
They'll wither pump you for FTDI, or amplify the geek factor (Hanna Barbera SFX) and you come out of it looking like Emmet Brown (not so bad really!).

Go for it Dave.
Speaking of Coxy, next time I see him round town, I'll try and persuade him to join EEV.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 01:24:01 pm by Yago »

Offline GEuser

• Frequent Contributor
  • Is Leaving
« Reply #59 on: November 05, 2014, 02:39:58 pm »
Generally I would go for it but would talk to them further to try to get a feel for what they are really looking for and whether they will help you.
Enthusiastic scientists and communicators  are relatively hot property at present e.g. Dave Attenborough, Brian Cox, in Aus Karl Kruszelnicki, Adam Spencer. I can't see what sort of "hatchet job" they could do unless they tried the 'mad scientist' tack but that is very unlikely I would guess.

Not taking a shot at you personally 5RC but putting that wa_ker in the same sentence as David Attenborough would be a insult to all existing beings in the "Beautiful Universe"  :=\

And i'll let you know why too! , yaknow a leech , those bloodsucking ones yes , well picture the very mouth end and zoomed in on it , then picture youknowho with its face attached to the universe sucking all that beautifulness up , sucking the life out of it , like imagine the air right in front of you atm and there it is face planted on the invisible suuuuuuuukke , the opposite to the Alien chest-buster squid thing .

imo of coursey  :blah:
Soon

Offline Yago

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #60 on: November 05, 2014, 02:46:22 pm »
In England he is not stand out for his w*nkerdom.
Seems the official line on science is simple "wow" with no actually technical detail or information.
All the science presenters now look like rejects from childrens television, worse too talk the same.
FFS the speed of light or sound should be understood by every child above 8!
Yet every show they explain the same old crap...
"Space is bit, really big"

So I am with you there, but it may be a result of the industry rather than the personality.

So, if I seem him, I am going try talk him into joining EEV, and to PM you GE! :p

Offline aargee

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #61 on: November 06, 2014, 02:13:18 am »
From what I've seen of Brian Cox, he seems to be eminently knowledgeable in the science he speaks about.
Then again it makes you wonder about the general population when a lot of "adults" seem to think that most scientists speak hokum and are just out to disrupt their way of life with talk of climate change, etc.

Back on topic...

Hey Dave, why don't you insist they use a silhouette/pixelize you and modify your voice so no one can recognise you?  :-DD

I think it would be a great idea for you to talk to *anyone*, TV, radio, whatever. The reality is that the chance of it doing you any harm is quite low but the possible benefits to you and the EE/E hobby community are quite large.  :-+
Not easy, not hard, just need to be incentivised.

Offline Kohanbash

• Regular Contributor
    • Robots for Roboticists
« Reply #62 on: November 07, 2014, 01:38:18 am »
I have been involved with the Canadian Discovery Channel's Daily Planet show twice. Both times the crew was good and showed an interest in the science and technology that we were talking about.

One of the times they came, the producer mailed us a DVD with a copy of the episode and a thank you note after it aired.

Also there is a good chance that the focus of the show is electronics in Australia (or whatever else) and they just want a few minutes of footage from the lab.

I voted yes, well, because I did video for Discovery Channel that was shown on Daily Planet. That was the first time I visited the Atacama Desert here in Chile and fell in love with the place.

Interesting. Back in 2005 (or so) the Daily Planet did something with some of my co-workers in the Atacama. I did some work in the Atacama last year. It is a pretty awesome place.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 01:54:12 am by Kohanbash »
Robots for Roboticists Blog - http://robotsforroboticists.com/

Offline dexters_lab

• Supporter
« Reply #63 on: November 07, 2014, 07:38:26 pm »
should you do it dave? HELL YES!

it will be great publicity for you and everything you do, make sure you have a plan b when the server bursts into flame though

a few years ago i provided products to a popular tv show in the uk that does makeovers of peoples homes... the phone rang off the hook for two days!

Offline lapm

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #64 on: November 07, 2014, 07:46:40 pm »
Dave, this is nice milestone in your own career. You are being asked to be on television.. Thats means your fame is spreading and someone somewhere in tv company has read of you...

So go for it man.... If nothing else, it might bring some more followers for you...
Electronics, Linux, Programming, Science... im interested all of it...

Offline pmurray4

• Contributor
« Reply #65 on: November 10, 2014, 01:07:17 pm »
You could open some mail with your big knife during the interview, show them the site of a real knife :)

Offline pmurray4

• Contributor
« Reply #66 on: November 10, 2014, 01:07:45 pm »
Size even

Offline redtails

• Contributor
  • The power of atom!
    • Raven's Jig
« Reply #67 on: November 10, 2014, 02:03:20 pm »
In all honesty, I've been watching your videos on YouTube for years now and the thing that strikes me most is your completely uncensored and uncut style. Such a style is simply impossible on regular TV shows.

I often see this characteristic in popular YouTube people. YT is a platform where videographers and bloggers and anyone in-between can spread their word, any kind of word, without government or corporate censorship getting in the way. I'm not talking about swearing on television and the oh-so-common bleeping noise, I'm talking about libel / insult / slander , legal framework that people use to prevent others from having an opinion about them or their company.

Anyway, I'm not getting my point forward: Whether or not Dave should be on TV, I'm indifferent :D , though please always continue being the YouTube star that you've become!

Offline Arlen moulton

• Regular Contributor
  • awesomeness in radios
« Reply #68 on: November 10, 2014, 07:35:36 pm »
6esyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyresyesyes

Offline EvilGeniusSkis

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #69 on: November 13, 2014, 01:09:01 am »
as someone who watch daily planet i have to say I've never seen them portray a negative image of someone they interviewed. the only other thing i have to say is see if you can get permission to post the interview on your channel after it airs.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #70 on: November 19, 2014, 06:46:03 am »
OK, seems they will be coming early-mid Dec.
They like the idea of getting out of the lab and shooting one of my adventure video. But canyoning would be far too hard for a commercial film crew.
Perhaps dropping something from the dam nearby?
Ideas on products or things to do?
Even something creative in the lab would be fine.

Offline EvilGeniusSkis

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #71 on: November 19, 2014, 07:03:22 am »
OK, seems they will be coming early-mid Dec.
They like the idea of getting out of the lab and shooting one of my adventure video. But canyoning would be far too hard for a commercial film crew.

ideas:
take one of their cameras apart
take one of your cameras apart
take them canyoning
teach them to solder
teach Sagan solder [this would be cool to see anyway]
show off you ucurrent
blow up some capacitors
show off the forums
2 minute teardown
probe something
fix something
mailbag tv edition
garbage room raid
say "don't turn it on, take it apart"
turn it upside down so all the electrons fall out

see if you can upload the segment to youtube after it airs.

Offline CodyW

• Contributor
« Reply #72 on: November 19, 2014, 08:12:56 am »
You could hire a high speed camera and blow up some capacitors maybe? :)

Offline DG41WV

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #73 on: November 19, 2014, 08:48:17 am »
will the dropcam be online when they arrive?

Offline alimirjamali

• Regular Contributor
  • Analog! D2A or A2D?
    • Ali's personal blog (updated once per year!)
« Reply #74 on: November 19, 2014, 11:29:32 am »

The audience will be general public :) :) :) so:
  • Show Magnetic-core memories under Tagarno and compare them to cheap USB sticks :o
  • Silicon Chip Wafer goodies your received from Vincent Himpe in
  • Chatting about evolution of Electric cars (You did not repair Sinclair C5? :palm:)
  • Explain IP ratings for general audience and drop a Fluke from dam :-DMM
  • Open some viewers mail bags, show them Da Knife :wtf:
  • Show them the world most expensive HDD from
  • Tell them how the market is changed for new players and hobbyists. Maybe mention the forbidden word (Ahem, Arduino) :P

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf