Poll

Should Dave go on the Discovery Channel's Daily Planet Show?

Yes, do it!
140 (86.4%)
No, it's a trap!
22 (13.6%)

Total Members Voted: 155

Author Topic: Should Dave Be On TV?  (Read 29484 times)

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Should Dave Be On TV?
« on: November 04, 2014, 12:12:52 am »
The Canadian Discovery Channel's Daily Planet show want to come to the lab to shoot a segment about me and my reviews.
Should I do it?

Offline marshallh

• Supporter
    • retroactive
Re: Should Dave Be On TV?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 12:20:20 am »
Yes, though clean up first so they don't sell the footage to the Hoarders shows
Verilog tips
BGA soldering intro

11:37 <@ktemkin> c4757p: marshall has transcended communications media
11:37 <@ktemkin> He speaks protocols directly.

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 12:23:13 am »
Do you think it would have a positive or negative effect on your income? it seems like if you are running a business this becomes a business decision. I'm reminded of the saying that "all publicity is good publicity", so presumably you would get more views from TV exposure?

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, 12:24:32 am »
The Canadian Discovery Channel's Daily Planet show want to come to the lab to shoot a segment about me and my reviews.
Should I do it?
Ofcourse! Grab your 15 minutes of fame!
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2014, 12:26:05 am »
I'm reminded of the saying that "all publicity is good publicity", so presumably you would get more views from TV exposure?

Doubt it, but you never know.
Any upside would be on the things you can't think of that might crop up in response, which is how "all publicity is good publicity" works.

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2014, 12:33:16 am »
How much are they offering...
They are offering to pay you for your time aren't they...?
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline AG6QR

• Frequent Contributor
    • AG6QR Blog
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2014, 12:34:59 am »
Sure, you should do it.  I'm not sure why you're even asking the question.

Upside:  More publicity and exposure, a chance to attract new fans.

Downside:  Maybe they'll make some mistakes, take some quotes out of context, and/or portray you in an unflattering light somehow.  But I doubt they'd deliberately try and defame you.  If there are mistakes or omissions, they're likely to be innocent ones out of ignorance and time constraints, not malice.  Look at how they portray other people they interview on similar segments.

The journalists I've had the experience of dealing with are not very technically minded, and they're always constrained by time.  So don't expect them to do as thorough a job as you'd like.  But if that's OK, it seems to be an opportunity for more publicity and an opportunity to attract new viewers.

Offline skipjackrc4

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2014, 12:41:17 am »
I would watch several episodes of the show to see how they portray the people they interview, and make your decision based on that.  If you think they will portray you in a reasonably accurate and positive light, then definitely go for it!

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2014, 12:46:26 am »
They are offering to pay you for your time aren't they...?

Nope.

Offline Excavatoree

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2014, 12:48:16 am »

We have a winner with the first response!

(Full disclosure:  It would take a year or more to straighten up the Ex-EE lair to the point where it would look like I were a mere hoarder.)

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2014, 12:49:57 am »
Should I do it?

Of course, and it will force you to clean it.

Offline Tinkerer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2014, 12:51:22 am »
I would watch several episodes of the show to see how they portray the people they interview, and make your decision based on that.  If you think they will portray you in a reasonably accurate and positive light, then definitely go for it!
This.

The only thing I would be worried about is quotes taken out of context, otherwise, no reason not to. The one thing I am thinking is that when anyone does a segment for a show, they have to really pick and choose only some of what they shoot. This means you would need to be more concise in what you say/explain. I get the impression/idea that perhaps they likely arnt going to be overly towards the technical side and would be more interested in "life as Dave" as it pertains to all this.

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2014, 12:52:10 am »
Even for no pay I would do it, it's free publicity.

As for the out of context I wouldn't worry too much, it's not like it's TMZ.

Offline AG6QR

• Frequent Contributor
    • AG6QR Blog
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2014, 12:57:34 am »
My vote is NOT to clean up the lab.  Put more junk in it.  The background for the interview should have lots of various scopes displaying Lissajous patterns and/or Youscope, plus at least one Jacob's ladder.  Hope their TV cameras are well shielded!

Offline GEuser

• Frequent Contributor
  • Is Leaving
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2014, 12:58:53 am »
I voted its a trap ..

The trap would be if that discovery channel charges payperview or anything similar and they want you for a freebee it'd sound hypocritical (from them) to get you as a "interest item" .

Suggest a fee , get me in there too as I can put on the flip flops stubbie shorts tank top and the cork on strings hat and with the associated can in the hand (rum and cola though as I'm educated) .

Could even rent a roo and have it bouncing around the place .

all imo of course ...

Soon

Offline RobertoLG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2014, 01:08:29 am »
Dunno, but i would use some caution(but that's me), for free nope, they get a lot of money from it, and you get(?????) just my opinion, I may be wrong to

Offline Excavatoree

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2014, 01:21:13 am »
I just remembered!

Dave's gotta do it!  Photonicinduction was on that not long ago.   He needs equal representation!

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2014, 01:32:11 am »
Photonicinduction was on that not long ago.
Is that online?

Offline Maximus

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2014, 01:40:24 am »
I love the show Daily Planet!  I have never seen them run a story that puts a negative spin on some one and it isn't the type of show that would pull some sort of sneaky plot to make a fool out of someone.  I would 100% recommend being on the show  :-+.  Make sure you get them to let you put the interview on the blog if you decide to go on the show.
My field of study has become so complex that I can no longer just Wikipedia the answer

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2014, 01:42:15 am »
Photonicinduction was on that not long ago.
Is that online?

He was on "you have been warned" it's a bit more dramatic than the Daily Planet :)

Some where in here:
http://www.discoveryuk.com/web/you-have-been-warned/videos/

Can't find it :( it's supposed to be on episode 6
Discovery, "you have been warned" Episode 6 "Dukes of Havoc"

I think this is it, so it wasn't that they went visit him it was just airing the best stunt videos on YouTube

The description from:
http://www.radiotimes.com/episode/tmdy8/you-have-been-warned--series-1---6-dukes-of-havoc

The countdown of the best 20 home-made stunt videos being presented on YouTube continues, revealing what it is like to be shot by an AK-47.

Edit: maybe not since they have a picture of him loading up a washing machine with fruit:
https://www.facebook.com/DiscoveryYHBW/photos/pb.288758564566263.-2207520000.1415068561./301485433293576/?type=3&theater
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 02:38:47 am by miguelvp »

Offline Absintu

« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2014, 02:05:30 am »
Do it... not a dificult decision, since you dont have any downside... :-+

Offline SirNick

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2014, 02:07:49 am »
Absolutely!  I would love to see the average IQ of TV programming go up a notch, and would also love to see a few more inspired DIYers and electronics hobbyists.  Maybe someone who's never heard of your channel will go and look it up.  That's ripple-effect stuff.

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2014, 02:39:58 am »
I don't watch it much but do from time to time. Yes it is a TV show but no it's not total crap. It's science oriented so the reporting of a news story is factual or part of a report on the science involved.

It's Canadian and not FOX or CNN so that's a plus.

I guess the real question is what are they looking for?

How to make a living off youtube?
What is happening to electrical engineers?
What is going on with MH370, you did sonar work for the military, right?
Teardown Tuesdays?
Do people really send you stuff to teardown?
Crowdfunding evaluations?
Life story?

and on and on.

Online Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2014, 02:40:17 am »
I voted yes, well, because I did video for Discovery Channel that was shown on Daily Planet. That was the first time I visited the Atacama Desert here in Chile and fell in love with the place. Daily Planet is a show that showcases new science and interesting REAL things. Don't worry Dave, it is nothing but good from them. I am sure they will not pay you for it but insist on the webpage and the forum being promoted in the video.

Offline Fsck

• Super Contributor
  • sleep deprived
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2014, 02:41:57 am »
free publicity should be an easy decision as long as you can plug your blog.
"This is a one line proof...if we start sufficiently far to the left."

Offline DavidDLC

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2014, 02:47:56 am »
A lot of people will see you and they potentially can jump to your page and forum.

It will say of course yes !

David.

Offline orion242

• Supporter
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2014, 03:50:09 am »

I’ll second that.  :-DD

As for getting paid…  I think that’s dreaming.  I’m sure for every person that turns them down, there are 4500 others that would die for the chance.  Until Dave is a football star, famous musician, or invents free energy, I can’t see them shelling out anything.  I would spend my time trying to barter final veto on the piece, over payment.

Anything to get your name out there in a positive light, is good business.

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2014, 04:13:09 am »
Can't think of any legitimate reason why not.  It could get you scores or 100s of new subscribers.
It could get you seen by some other talent scout or network who might want to pay you for a regular segment or feature.
And you could experience first-hand how pro video crew does lighting and setup, etc.

I know it seems like a lot of fiddling around hooking up your Sennheiser wireless mic,  But decent audio is a huge production-value quantum increment.

If the Senny kit is too fiddly, take a look at the Sony ECM-AW3 kit. If you have the Sony camcorder with the right hot-shoe, it is essentially trivial to deploy. And it delivers some quite remarkable features and performance for an extraordinarily low price. I'd like to see a teardown peek inside as well.

Offline Afrotechmods

• Supporter
    • Afrotech
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2014, 04:14:54 am »
Congratulations! That is awesome news! Daily Planet is a pretty respectable show so I'd say the odds of any "ambush interview" type of stuff is pretty low. If you are worried about being misrepresented it might be a good idea to keep a small hidden camera/GoPro running so you can show your side of the story. You are a great presenter and would portray EE in a positive light for the community.

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2014, 04:17:18 am »
Publicity is good, but do we really need more Canucks here, eh?   :-\
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 04:18:57 am by Wytnucls »

Offline orion242

• Supporter
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2014, 04:27:56 am »
Most have to pay for air time.

I would also look at rights to post the final piece on your channel.

Offline vk3yedotcom

• Frequent Contributor
    • vk3ye dot com (radio articles and projects)
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2014, 04:32:03 am »
I voted yes.

Maybe put up some incidental advertising - eg eevblog.com signs or LED displays up so no matter where they point the camera one will be in the shot. 

Or maybe a URL taped to the corner of a CRO screen so that will be in view when demonstrating stuff.

Here's an example of what you might get when a non-tehcnical TV journo meets an Australian electronics engineer/tinkerer (early '90s 7:30 report): 

Note how they zoomed in on all the idiosyncracies (although Julie perhaps had way more than you).
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 04:33:51 am by vk3yedotcom »
NEW! Ham Radio Get Started: Your success in amateur radio. One of 8 ebooks available on amateur radio topics. Details at  https://books.vk3ye.com

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2014, 06:03:10 am »
If the video is going to be only broadcasted in Canada that will not give you much publicity, Canada is too small of a electronics market. See if you can negotiate with them getting a copy of the video and posting it on EEVBlog web site.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2014, 06:21:03 am »
I know it seems like a lot of fiddling around hooking up your Sennheiser wireless mic,  But decent audio is a huge production-value quantum increment.

I think I have some of the best audio of any of the blogger out there already. It's not absolutely studio quality perfect, but pretty darn good I think.

If the Senny kit is too fiddly, take a look at the Sony ECM-AW3 kit. If you have the Sony camcorder with the right hot-shoe, it is essentially trivial to deploy. And it delivers some quite remarkable features and performance for an extraordinarily low price. I'd like to see a teardown peek inside as well.

What is so good about that Sony bluetooth kit
I already have a top-line pro Senheiser, and they are almost equal in deployment ability.
You still have to change the battery on the transmitter, you still have to fiddle with the lapel, and you still have the same issues with turning your head.

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2014, 06:26:13 am »
The rumble in his gut will be his best guide.

If he is hungry for more then he should, but if he is running to the dunny then he shouldn't.

Muttley
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 12:20:38 am by Muttley Snickers »

Offline SgtRock

• Supporter
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2014, 08:27:15 am »
Dear Dave:

--Go for it. Maybe Woz will see it and agree to an interview. It could happen. I also want you to do a simulcast with Leo Laporte, maybe after CDC. You are good enough, you are smart enough and doggonit people like you.

"In choosing a hypothesis there is no virtue in being timid. I clearly would have been burned at the stake in another age."
Thomas Gold 1920 - 2004

Best Regards
Clear Ether

Offline FrankBuss

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2014, 09:40:22 am »
You should do it. But maybe ask for the footage. If they record it with one of those big professional broadcast cams, you could upload it as a very high quality Youtube video. And the best: you'll have your own cameraman. But I guess they don't want a full review, but just an interview and film some gadgets in your lab?

Once I heard from a retro fan who has a big collection of old video game and computer systems, that a camera team was there. They filmed for some hours, he explained lots of in-depth technical and interesting things, but the final broadcasted video was like 2 minutes, half of the time tracking shots of the systems and monitors, and a commentator saying some trivial things.
So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Electronics, hiking, retro-computing, electronic music etc.: https://www.youtube.com/c/FrankBussProgrammer

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
  • It is hot until proved not.
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2014, 04:28:32 pm »
Demand that you get to see the final edit before broadcast, get that in writing to your lawyer before you even start. Also make sure you have a say in editing, you have to work on the premise that the editor and producers are total idiots, if there is anything technical that you say or do they will screw it up in edit. Time is of the essence with them and they will drop anything to get the time slot right.   

Offline 22swg

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2014, 04:38:28 pm »
Bound to be more interesting than the reality rubbish they transmit here in UK ...  I only watch Prof Brian Cox, and Sir David Attenborough...  oh and Red Dwarf ! 
Check your tongue, your belly and your lust. Better to enjoy someone else’s madness.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2014, 05:48:19 pm »
Bound to be more interesting than the reality rubbish they transmit here in UK ...  I only watch Prof Brian Cox, and Sir David Attenborough...  oh and Red Dwarf !

Waiting for that on DVD, I did a go through of all the old shows in about a month. Bought the "only the shows" DVD set, otherwise known as a doorstop for a safe.

As to the TV exposure, go for it, it can do nothing but good, increasing the Dave brand. As said above get the rights to post it, and to have some editorial say, along with all rights to the unused footage ( in high def, you can use it to make an epic commentary track) and you will be golden. Label everything with the channel name and blog so you get free hard to edit out product placement, and wear an EEVBlog T shirt for the whole shooting, possibly in 2 colours to give the editor a heart attack for continuity.

Offline SirNick

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2014, 07:24:54 pm »
I would be really surprised if a commercial TV program would give some piddly interviewee editorial rights.  If I were the producer, I would walk away on the spot because the candidate is clearly a meddling control freak, and therefore not worth the trouble.

Be accommodating, tasteful, and enjoy some free exposure.  The EEVblog T-shirt idea is a good one, but please don't make the place look like a billboard on the Vegas strip.  That's just tacky.

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2014, 08:21:17 pm »
Go for it! It's years since I've had Discovery, but they always had some decent enough programmes like Wheeler Dealers (UK production), and How it's made (Canadian production). However, just like TLC (The Learning Channel) has switched over to "reality" shite like Honey Boo Boo, I believe Discovery has turned to shite like UFO's, paranormal, and Bigfoot. I think the Canadians are more decent than the USA media though.

Offline Sionyn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2014, 08:22:08 pm »
mainstream media is dead, unless their paying you for it dave tell them were to shove it. These talentless people who want to make a buck off your success hoping you will be enticed by a appearance on tv. They do it all the time stealing youtuber content, at least their asking you.

unless your getting a cut from sales and advertising profits they make id say no.

i can understand the drawer to be on tv, but i think these guys are just in it for them selves and see this a easyway to make a quick buck
eecs guy

Offline jancumps

• Supporter
  • New Low
« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2014, 08:27:15 pm »
mainstream media is dead, unless their paying you for it dave tell them were to shove it. These talentless people who want to make a buck off your success hoping you will be enticed by a appearance on tv. They do it all the time stealing youtuber content, at least their asking you.

unless your getting a cut from sales and advertising profits they make id say no.

i can understand the drawer to be on tv, but i think these guys are just in it for them selves and see this a easyway to make a quick buck
It' a free once-in-a-lifetime experience. I guess it would be a fun exercise, whatever the result is.

Offline Sionyn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2014, 09:39:53 pm »
true, there is that you have to weigh it like others have mentioned here this just a cheep way to make a tv show, which i think is quite exploitive of its participants, since they benefit very little from it.

like i said if they pay dave and let him have control of edit fine but from what ive seen they just expect him to do it for free

take a look at starsuckers you'll be very surprised what people will do for fame

eecs guy

n45048

« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2014, 09:52:02 pm »
Give them small morsels of what you do. Make out like you have some secrets under your sleeve and a major project in the works (a black sheet draped over something should keep them guessing)  :-DD

In all seriousness, I'd be making sure they plug your website.

Offline LabSpokane

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46 on: November 04, 2014, 11:14:03 pm »
Dave,

In all honesty, don't do it. Disco is pretty much the polar opposite of your presentation style and values, and I think you'll be profoundly unhappy with the result.  Some regard all publicity as good publicity, but you are not that person.

Offline victor

• Regular Contributor
  • Boy who writes code and take things apart
    • vitim.us
« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2014, 11:46:14 pm »
I would agree with the condition that I should review the editing before it goes live. As someone mentioned if they do piss poor editing it can ridicule you or make you look like something you don't want.
your body is limited, but not your mind

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2014, 04:36:57 am »
I think I have some of the best audio of any of the blogger out there already. It's not absolutely studio quality perfect, but pretty darn good I think.
Rather low standards to compare yourself to.
I suspect you won't find a pro crew using on-camera microphones. 
The practice is roundly despised in production circles.

The advantages of the Sony bluetooth gadget are:
Easier to deploy:
1) Snap the receiver into the hot shoe (no cables to plug in, no camera settings to fiddle with).
2) Clip the transmitter on your shirt (built-in mic no separate clips, cables, plugs, etc.)
Two-way communication
Talkback from the director back to the talent (clearly not a feature you need).

Offline JohnS_AZ

• Frequent Contributor
    • About.me
« Reply #49 on: November 05, 2014, 04:55:31 am »
I voted Do It Dave.

There may be no up-side, but I can't really see a down-side.

What WOULD be cool ... get someone to run YOUR camera and record THEM recording YOU for a post.

Oh, and DO tell us when it happens so we can jump on the DropCam feed.

@JohnS_AZ
I'm either at my bench, here, or on PokerStars.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #50 on: November 05, 2014, 05:46:59 am »
Demand that you get to see the final edit before broadcast, get that in writing to your lawyer before you even start. Also make sure you have a say in editing, you have to work on the premise that the editor and producers are total idiots, if there is anything technical that you say or do they will screw it up in edit. Time is of the essence with them and they will drop anything to get the time slot right.

You're kidding right?
No network will agree to have a pleb on for a few minutes have a say and sign-off on their video editing. Not going to happen.
Lawyer? You must be double kidding  :palm:

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #51 on: November 05, 2014, 05:49:10 am »
I would be really surprised if a commercial TV program would give some piddly interviewee editorial rights.  If I were the producer, I would walk away on the spot because the candidate is clearly a meddling control freak, and therefore not worth the trouble.

That is precisely what would happen, I'd bet my life on it.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #52 on: November 05, 2014, 05:57:16 am »
Rather low standards to compare yourself to.
I suspect you won't find a pro crew using on-camera microphones. 
The practice is roundly despised in production circles.

Who cares?
Fact is my audio is already ahead of most other comparable youtube channels, I get a lot of praise for it in fact, and it is more than adequate for the intended purpose.
For me to faff about for the extra 1% here really isn't worth my while.

BTW, no pro crew would ever use that Sony mic you recommended. And you still have the turning head problem associated with lapel mics. I know, I have a pro lapel mic and do use it where appropriate.
BTW, I don't know what you are talking about with the Sony ECM-AW3, it does not plug into a hot shoe.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 06:03:40 am by EEVblog »

Offline GEuser

• Frequent Contributor
  • Is Leaving
« Reply #53 on: November 05, 2014, 06:25:44 am »
I'll take the opportunity to  :rant:  :rant:  :rant:

And don't forget to turn up the compression or these days it might be a "fixed standard" but I tells ya what and imo it absolutely sounds disgusting and very un-natural , that stuff on Tv and all those news , weather , and all sorts of stuff that is broadcast and nearly everone too .

Those suck-in breathing sounds and the breath out sounds , the yelling sounds , the small yet loud squeaky farting sounds Ha Ha Ha , the professional audio old timers from way back would be turning in their graves I reckon with the supposed great audio quality of today .

It reminds me of the stereotypical Cb radio operator (and ham these days) where everything is turned up to the right , so what I'm ranting about is all those supposedly professional audio engineers that do the weather and news are "just Cb'ers" using a different moniker .

over and out

Bring back Tubes ! , proper mics , and vote me for president!
Soon

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54 on: November 05, 2014, 07:02:18 am »
This is Natasha Stillwell she used to co-host the show. Could be the interviewer.

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55 on: November 05, 2014, 07:12:28 am »
This is Natasha Stillwell she used to co-host the show. Could be the interviewer.

I doubt Ms Stillwell will travel from Scotland to Australia to interview Dave. He ain't that famous  ;)

I think the best deal Dave could get is an agreement that he is allowed to record a bit how the team works, and a few shots of their equipment. And maybe a vague assurance that they won't make him look ridiculous.
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Offline Yago

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #56 on: November 05, 2014, 10:59:59 am »
Wonder if the FTDI thing has influenced them in comming forward at this time?

Also...
What's the crack with referring to yourself in the third person?
It sound weird to my ears, makes sense if there are more than one person in the "company", or perhaps a quirk of language, but dunno ???

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #57 on: November 05, 2014, 11:13:58 am »
Generally I would go for it but would talk to them further to try to get a feel for what they are really looking for and whether they will help you.
Enthusiastic scientists and communicators  are relatively hot property at present e.g. Dave Attenborough, Brian Cox, in Aus Karl Kruszelnicki, Adam Spencer. I can't see what sort of "hatchet job" they could do unless they tried the 'mad scientist' tack but that is very unlikely I would guess.
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline Yago

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #58 on: November 05, 2014, 12:19:02 pm »
I can't see a big problem either.

On the negative:
They'll wither pump you for FTDI, or amplify the geek factor (Hanna Barbera SFX) and you come out of it looking like Emmet Brown (not so bad really!).

Go for it Dave.
Speaking of Coxy, next time I see him round town, I'll try and persuade him to join EEV.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 01:24:01 pm by Yago »

Offline GEuser

• Frequent Contributor
  • Is Leaving
« Reply #59 on: November 05, 2014, 02:39:58 pm »
Generally I would go for it but would talk to them further to try to get a feel for what they are really looking for and whether they will help you.
Enthusiastic scientists and communicators  are relatively hot property at present e.g. Dave Attenborough, Brian Cox, in Aus Karl Kruszelnicki, Adam Spencer. I can't see what sort of "hatchet job" they could do unless they tried the 'mad scientist' tack but that is very unlikely I would guess.

Not taking a shot at you personally 5RC but putting that wa_ker in the same sentence as David Attenborough would be a insult to all existing beings in the "Beautiful Universe"  :=\

And i'll let you know why too! , yaknow a leech , those bloodsucking ones yes , well picture the very mouth end and zoomed in on it , then picture youknowho with its face attached to the universe sucking all that beautifulness up , sucking the life out of it , like imagine the air right in front of you atm and there it is face planted on the invisible suuuuuuuukke , the opposite to the Alien chest-buster squid thing .

imo of coursey  :blah:
Soon

Offline Yago

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #60 on: November 05, 2014, 02:46:22 pm »
In England he is not stand out for his w*nkerdom.
Seems the official line on science is simple "wow" with no actually technical detail or information.
All the science presenters now look like rejects from childrens television, worse too talk the same.
FFS the speed of light or sound should be understood by every child above 8!
Yet every show they explain the same old crap...
"Space is bit, really big"

So I am with you there, but it may be a result of the industry rather than the personality.

So, if I seem him, I am going try talk him into joining EEV, and to PM you GE! :p

Offline aargee

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #61 on: November 06, 2014, 02:13:18 am »
From what I've seen of Brian Cox, he seems to be eminently knowledgeable in the science he speaks about.
Then again it makes you wonder about the general population when a lot of "adults" seem to think that most scientists speak hokum and are just out to disrupt their way of life with talk of climate change, etc.

Back on topic...

Hey Dave, why don't you insist they use a silhouette/pixelize you and modify your voice so no one can recognise you?  :-DD

I think it would be a great idea for you to talk to *anyone*, TV, radio, whatever. The reality is that the chance of it doing you any harm is quite low but the possible benefits to you and the EE/E hobby community are quite large.  :-+
Not easy, not hard, just need to be incentivised.

Offline Kohanbash

• Regular Contributor
    • Robots for Roboticists
« Reply #62 on: November 07, 2014, 01:38:18 am »
I have been involved with the Canadian Discovery Channel's Daily Planet show twice. Both times the crew was good and showed an interest in the science and technology that we were talking about.

One of the times they came, the producer mailed us a DVD with a copy of the episode and a thank you note after it aired.

Also there is a good chance that the focus of the show is electronics in Australia (or whatever else) and they just want a few minutes of footage from the lab.

I voted yes, well, because I did video for Discovery Channel that was shown on Daily Planet. That was the first time I visited the Atacama Desert here in Chile and fell in love with the place.

Interesting. Back in 2005 (or so) the Daily Planet did something with some of my co-workers in the Atacama. I did some work in the Atacama last year. It is a pretty awesome place.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 01:54:12 am by Kohanbash »
Robots for Roboticists Blog - http://robotsforroboticists.com/

Offline dexters_lab

• Supporter
« Reply #63 on: November 07, 2014, 07:38:26 pm »
should you do it dave? HELL YES!

it will be great publicity for you and everything you do, make sure you have a plan b when the server bursts into flame though

a few years ago i provided products to a popular tv show in the uk that does makeovers of peoples homes... the phone rang off the hook for two days!

Offline lapm

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #64 on: November 07, 2014, 07:46:40 pm »
Dave, this is nice milestone in your own career. You are being asked to be on television.. Thats means your fame is spreading and someone somewhere in tv company has read of you...

So go for it man.... If nothing else, it might bring some more followers for you...
Electronics, Linux, Programming, Science... im interested all of it...

Offline pmurray4

• Contributor
« Reply #65 on: November 10, 2014, 01:07:17 pm »
You could open some mail with your big knife during the interview, show them the site of a real knife :)

Offline pmurray4

• Contributor
« Reply #66 on: November 10, 2014, 01:07:45 pm »
Size even

Offline redtails

• Contributor
  • The power of atom!
    • Raven's Jig
« Reply #67 on: November 10, 2014, 02:03:20 pm »
In all honesty, I've been watching your videos on YouTube for years now and the thing that strikes me most is your completely uncensored and uncut style. Such a style is simply impossible on regular TV shows.

I often see this characteristic in popular YouTube people. YT is a platform where videographers and bloggers and anyone in-between can spread their word, any kind of word, without government or corporate censorship getting in the way. I'm not talking about swearing on television and the oh-so-common bleeping noise, I'm talking about libel / insult / slander , legal framework that people use to prevent others from having an opinion about them or their company.

Anyway, I'm not getting my point forward: Whether or not Dave should be on TV, I'm indifferent :D , though please always continue being the YouTube star that you've become!

Offline Arlen moulton

• Regular Contributor
  • awesomeness in radios
« Reply #68 on: November 10, 2014, 07:35:36 pm »
6esyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyresyesyes

Offline EvilGeniusSkis

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #69 on: November 13, 2014, 01:09:01 am »
as someone who watch daily planet i have to say I've never seen them portray a negative image of someone they interviewed. the only other thing i have to say is see if you can get permission to post the interview on your channel after it airs.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #70 on: November 19, 2014, 06:46:03 am »
OK, seems they will be coming early-mid Dec.
They like the idea of getting out of the lab and shooting one of my adventure video. But canyoning would be far too hard for a commercial film crew.
Perhaps dropping something from the dam nearby?
Ideas on products or things to do?
Even something creative in the lab would be fine.

Offline EvilGeniusSkis

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #71 on: November 19, 2014, 07:03:22 am »
OK, seems they will be coming early-mid Dec.
They like the idea of getting out of the lab and shooting one of my adventure video. But canyoning would be far too hard for a commercial film crew.

ideas:
take one of their cameras apart
take one of your cameras apart
take them canyoning
teach them to solder
teach Sagan solder [this would be cool to see anyway]
show off you ucurrent
blow up some capacitors
show off the forums
2 minute teardown
probe something
fix something
mailbag tv edition
garbage room raid
say "don't turn it on, take it apart"
turn it upside down so all the electrons fall out

see if you can upload the segment to youtube after it airs.

Offline CodyW

• Contributor
« Reply #72 on: November 19, 2014, 08:12:56 am »
You could hire a high speed camera and blow up some capacitors maybe? :)

Offline DG41WV

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #73 on: November 19, 2014, 08:48:17 am »
will the dropcam be online when they arrive?

Offline alimirjamali

• Regular Contributor
  • Analog! D2A or A2D?
    • Ali's personal blog (updated once per year!)
« Reply #74 on: November 19, 2014, 11:29:32 am »

The audience will be general public :) :) :) so:
  • Show Magnetic-core memories under Tagarno and compare them to cheap USB sticks :o
  • Silicon Chip Wafer goodies your received from Vincent Himpe in
  • Chatting about evolution of Electric cars (You did not repair Sinclair C5? :palm:)
  • Explain IP ratings for general audience and drop a Fluke from dam :-DMM
  • Open some viewers mail bags, show them Da Knife :wtf:
  • Show them the world most expensive HDD from
  • Tell them how the market is changed for new players and hobbyists. Maybe mention the forbidden word (Ahem, Arduino) :P

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75 on: November 19, 2014, 02:22:25 pm »

The audience will be general public :) :) :) so:
  • Show Magnetic-core memories under Tagarno and compare them to cheap USB sticks :o
  • Silicon Chip Wafer goodies your received from Vincent Himpe in
  • Chatting about evolution of Electric cars (You did not repair Sinclair C5? :palm:)
  • Explain IP ratings for general audience and drop a Fluke from dam :-DMM
  • Open some viewers mail bags, show them Da Knife :wtf:
  • Show them the world most expensive HDD from
  • Tell them how the market is changed for new players and hobbyists. Maybe mention the forbidden word (Ahem, Arduino) :P

First these are good, you have them and can point to them in a blog that discusses the interview. I'd suggest setting a side a blog number that you can give the interviewers and then they can mention it on the show.

I think a dumpster dive, micro mini teardown, or a mailbag item like the magnetic core memories is potentially very good (eye candy). These are also things you do often on the blog. You could offer them some raw video from your canyoning trip instead of doing an actual outside run.

One other aspect of course is that this is your full time gig. I know it will be mentioned but that can be the entire point of the interview. Can you make a living like this?  I think that many people (new ones in particular) seem to miss the point that what you (Dave) do is actual work and that even though you enjoy it, like any job may not be enjoyable all the time. Your hours of work are flexible but you still have to put the time in to make this a viable business. 

Offline crusader66

• Contributor
« Reply #76 on: November 19, 2014, 02:57:46 pm »
Do it.  My 2 cents, tie what you so famously do into what they bring with them.   Pick a piece of their equipment out and tear the damn thing down on the spot.  Would be great if you could crack open something from the film crew and find something that yields the exasperated breath followed by "total crap" or whatever family friendly expletive comes to mind. 

Even if you don't get a chance to do that, do the spot anyway. 

Online BTO

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #77 on: November 19, 2014, 05:08:53 pm »
LOL
i would pay to see that

Dave would come on after the News and start talking about something
and then he 'd say something like

did you see this....
Well you know what
That Really TICKS ME OFF

that's bullshit, absolute Bullshit, the guys are morons,
did i mention it was bullshit

then just before he ends the daily chat, he'll toss a screwdriver over his shoulder and just walk off camera

Hell yeah,
Get Dave on TV

i don't think it'll last long , What with censorship and all
but.. it'd be funny as hell

I'm all for this
QUESTION EVERYTHING!!!

Offline Zad

• Super Contributor
    • Digital Wizardry, Analogue Alchemy, Software Sorcery
« Reply #78 on: November 19, 2014, 07:04:40 pm »
The problem is that TV likes people doing things, not talking about things. Contrast this with YouTube where most of us will happily watch Dave prod around a partly melted PCB for an hour or so. How about blowing up some fake Apple iPhone chargers? I seem to recall you have access to a bloke who can pump a fair few joules of surge energy into gear.

Entertaining and a valuable public service!

Also: Use double sided pads to stick some of those torn-down equipment PCBs to the wall / rear of the door etc.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #79 on: November 24, 2014, 08:06:20 am »
They are very interested in covering the Mud Run event, trying to organise that now.
Presumably they'd also get some footage in the lab as well.
Will probably spend two days getting a few minutes of final edited footage

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #80 on: November 28, 2014, 12:14:51 am »
I think the best deal Dave could get is an agreement that he is allowed to record a bit how the team works, and a few shots of their equipment.

I like that that idea.

Offline Teneyes

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #81 on: November 29, 2014, 11:28:30 am »
How do you get 25 Canadian news reporters out of your workshop?

Just ask them !  :)
IiIiIiIiIi  --  curiosity killed the cat but, satisfaction brought it back

Offline magetoo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #82 on: November 29, 2014, 12:09:15 pm »
How about blowing up some fake Apple iPhone chargers? I seem to recall you have access to a bloke who can pump a fair few joules of surge energy into gear.

Entertaining and a valuable public service!

I would love if it was possible to work a minute of "here's the difference between a cheap and a genuine charger" into this somehow.  Poking around PCBs is one of the things that Dave do, so why not?

Offline janengelbrecht

• Regular Contributor
    • JP-Electronics
« Reply #83 on: November 29, 2014, 06:46:35 pm »
Canadian tv wants to put Dave on Canadian tv ? Well question is....can Dave benefit from the exposure ? Will it lead to more Youtube followers ? If not...waste of time and energy :)

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84 on: November 30, 2014, 07:00:17 am »

Some jokes to break the ice with (we break ice in Canada).

Biggest military decision in Canada? Which coast to put the tank on.
Canadian aircraft carrier? Rowboat with a piece of plywood on top.

Offline EvilGeniusSkis

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #85 on: December 01, 2014, 08:46:09 pm »

I believe the original was

Q: How do you get a bunch of Canadians out of a hot tub on a cold day?
A: Ask them.

also see Canadian stand-off.  http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Canadian%20Standoff

Online BTO

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #86 on: March 25, 2024, 08:57:34 pm »
Should I do it?
YOU COULD CALL IT .................DAVE TV   :-DD

Oscilloscopes...
All Day ,
All Night,
We know what you need, Only right here on... DAVE TV !
LOL
QUESTION EVERYTHING!!!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf