Should Dave Get a Bigger Lab?

Yes
82 (56.2%)
No
38 (26%)
It Depends
26 (17.8%)

Total Members Voted: 145

Author Topic: Should Dave Get a Bigger Lab?  (Read 47885 times)

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« on: September 27, 2015, 02:04:31 am »
As the title says, should I get a bigger lab?
Current lab is 50sqm, can't swing a cat, and no windows so kinda depressing considering the hours I spend in there.
Considering a 100sqm office space with 50sqm open space, and 50sqm as office cubicles, plus windows and door that opens onto a balcony. Fresh air would be handy for thermal ovens, chemicals and what not, and sanity. I think I've decided to make windows and a balcony compulsory on any upgrade.
Naturally it costs more than twice as much as my current one. Three times more if I fail to rent my current space out (I own it).
Almost the same location.
What say you...

Offline Falcon69

• Super Contributor
Re: Should Dave Get a Bigger Lab?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2015, 02:08:05 am »
And now you got little Dave workin for ya, along with Sagan coming for a visit once in awhile.

Ya, I'd say you need a bigger place.  Especially if one of you guys has a bodily movement of some kind. Might get alittle stuffy in that small place.

Offline kolonelkadat

• Regular Contributor
  • Obviously, windows are central to Windows.
    • Force Project X
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2015, 02:26:45 am »
I vote no just because you make videos for a living. Ive never been to Australia, so I cant pretend to know anything about your area, but it seems like openable windows and doors would be a nightmare of horrible lighting (changing ambiance, odd shadows, reflections off passing cars, lightning strikes, etc) and atrocious street noise or even nature sounds (freaking birds dude. you have no idea.).

Offline Dave

• Super Contributor
  • I like to measure things.
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2015, 02:30:02 am »
Getting a bigger space isn't exactly solving the root of a compulsive hoarding problem.

Whether or not you should get a bigger lab is entirely up to you, I honestly don't think that the opinions of forum members matter here. :-//
<fellbuendel> it's arduino, you're not supposed to know anything about what you're doing
<fellbuendel> if you knew, you wouldn't be using it

Offline marshallh

• Supporter
    • retroactive
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2015, 02:37:30 am »
Throw out/sell/move stuff to the bunker?
Dave'll do whatever Dave does  :-//
Verilog tips
BGA soldering intro

11:37 <@ktemkin> c4757p: marshall has transcended communications media
11:37 <@ktemkin> He speaks protocols directly.

Online TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2015, 02:43:27 am »
If the monthly cost isn't going to break you I think it is be a very logical "upgrade". You're an outdoor kind of guy Dave, the value of windows, sunlight and fresh air is immense. I say you should make it happen.
VE7FM

Offline calexanian

• Super Contributor
    • Alex-Tronix
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2015, 03:19:39 am »
Let the numbers do the talking. If you can be more productive and generate more revenue with a larger place more than the increase in cost then it makes sense. Otherwise it is a luxury that only you can determine the value of to yourself. 
Charles Alexanian
Alex-Tronix Control Systems

Online DimitriP

• Super Contributor
  • "Best practices" are best not practiced.© Dimitri
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2015, 03:27:56 am »
Yes because you never know when you might need to swing a cat or make "whoossh" sounds by swinging a probe around.  (Yeah, I get bored sometimes).
   If three 100  Ohm resistors are connected in parallel, and in series with a 200 Ohm resistor, how many resistors do you have? 

Offline nowlan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2015, 03:29:13 am »
What has changed since last year that you're running out of space.
1. apprentice (and desk)
2. 3d printer

Try to rationalize what you keep there. I think the work bench is the only productive area. There rest of the office is storage.

Try some light therapy. http://www.usa.philips.com/c-p/HF3332_60/golite-blu-energy-light

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2015, 03:30:33 am »
Make a video series on the health effects of having windows.  You need to prove how insane you and Dave Jr are where you are and then how sane you get when you move.  I am sure you can manage the lighting problems.

Put up a bird feeder and aim your live camera at it, I think it would be more fun sometimes (sometimes your live feed looks dead because no one is there).  Of course it has to be an electronic bird feeder.

Start selling your EEV meter and develop a bench version of it.  You need a new place to make/sell it.

Start a KS on your meter (maybe bench version) with a goal that will pay for a new place.

Get Wiki to set up on EEVBlog so your videos would get more hits.

Set up a Electronipedia, that would be central point of all your web stuff and allow others to join it, like a Wiki for electronics (suggestion from another member)

You said it had an outside area.  If so sell bricks and engrave them with donors names and line the walkway or wall with them.   Can you imagine how happy some members would be to see their names on something in the videos.  Name it "The Wall of Support"
This is a popular means to raise money in the US.  Either laser engraved or brass plates glued on the bricks.

Put together and sell some guided tours of Australia that includes your garage and workshop.  Include the famous Duck boats and tour buses.

Sell some of your equipment and put the new owners name on the front and keep it.  Again satisfaction for the buyer to see their names in the videos.

Develop an app to be used by emergency organizations when they need help with anything electronic related.  Your forum has good real time response.  I think this could be a life saver if done right.

Set up your mailbag, stating that you will sell the stuff to help pay for new quarters.

Set up a web page that links jobs between those that need help and those that need the work, for a commission.

Keep your word from a Apr 1 video and get on the payroll of a test equipment manufacture.

My favorite - more videos on cheaper stuff.  Some of your stuff is really over the top for poor people.

Hold Maker type workshops at your new location (thus a larger site is needed).  You could video the lessons.

Set up a paid subscription electronic tutorial site.  Surprising there is a lack of good ones.  PIC32 is sorely missing.  Not just one or two videos but a semester worth of them filmed in front of live students.  I would pay.  So your new place needs to be large enough for holding classroom lessons (at least 12 students).  I think you could teach live students and online ones at the same time.
It seems this type of thing peaked in 2012.

So I say you need a larger place to do all of the above  :)

YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline all_repair

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2015, 03:32:23 am »
Shifting around is no fun for me.  My strategy to "place" is like to my tech gears: skip as many generation as possible.  I kept a look out for the place and while using the current to the max, and beyond.  Have you max out of the current space?  And get more with excess for your next one.  The bigger the place, the more estate management you have  to do, can be fun and can be not as this shall take time away from electronics.

Offline ivan747

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2015, 03:39:38 am »
Getting a bigger space isn't exactly solving the root of a compulsive hoarding problem.

I'm sorry to say, I agree. You should at least try getting rid of some crap first. I should be doing that too.

For example, most of what's behind the mailbag desk is old stuff, including at least a dozen monitors. Either go build a monitor wall that you're actually going to use, or donate them all to your favorite charity.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 03:49:31 am by ivan747 »

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2015, 03:56:08 am »
Whether or not you should get a bigger lab is entirely up to you, I honestly don't think that the opinions of forum members matter here. :-//

Always fun to discuss. Of course I'm going to do what I want  :P

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2015, 04:03:28 am »
Having windows and a quick easy way to step outside for a change of scenery and some fresh air are highly desirable things in my opinion.

Offline ivan747

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2015, 04:33:17 am »

Dave knows what's up.  >:D

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2015, 04:47:32 am »
Whilst interest rates are low and likely to stay low then well located desireable office space is not a bad investment.

I'm not buying it, I'd be renting it.
100sqm of prime office space runs over $400k in my area.

Offline 6581

• Supporter
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2015, 04:59:11 am »
Air and light are over rated luxuries. They only bring trouble, photoelectric phenomenons and stuff. This is horrible idea. All the electrons will flee from the balcony!

Offline Deathwish

• Supporter
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2015, 04:59:50 am »
$400k !, how much is it to buy a house and convert it all to offices
Electrons are typically male, always looking for any hole to get into.
trying to strangle someone who talks out of their rectal cavity will fail, they can still breath.
God hates North Wales, he has put my home address on the blacklist of all couriers with instructions to divert all parcels.

Offline tech5940

• Supporter
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2015, 05:25:42 am »
Without knowing your monthly financial situation it's hard to say (no I don't expect you to disclose it either) however if you feel its writhing your "budget" then I don't see the downside of you upgrading to an office space where you will enjoy being. In your personal life your a very outdoors oriented person so I can see the benefit of having windows in your lab. I doubt in the long term you'd ever loose money on a real estate investment in Australia so hard to see a downside there. Someone will rent your current lab. On a side note I do feel like you should be promoting "Patreon" more often.  There is no shame on offering free videos and asking those who enjoy them to support via Patreon.  Honestly I watched 75% of your videos before I even learned what Patreon was.. Once I did I had no problem kicking in $5 a month. I was shocked when I saw AvE's  monthly Patreon loot there is no reason yours can't be on par or far past his, mention it on every video in a friendly "pay the bills" kind of way! Your produce some great content no reason not to puff it up a bit...

Sent from my iPhone
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 05:27:53 am by tech5940 »

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2015, 05:25:45 am »

Cheapest house in the area went for $930k
Strangely though, it is possible to rent an entire house for the price of a 100sqm office!

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2015, 05:27:28 am »
On a side note I do feel like you should be promoting "Patreon" more often.  There is no shame on offering free videos and asking those who enjoy them to support via Patreon.  Honestly it watched 75% of your videos before I even learned what Patreon was.. Once I did I had no problem kicking in $5 a month. I was shocked when I saw AvE's Patreon monthly loot there is no reason yours can't be on par or far past his, mention it on every video in a friendly "pay the bills" kind of way! Your produce some great content no reason not to puff it up a bit...

Yes, I've been meaning to get a new outro video that mentions Patreon.

Offline ivan747

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2015, 05:34:08 am »

Cheapest house in the area went for $930k
Strangely though, it is possible to rent an entire house for the price of a 100sqm office!

Dude, get the house  ::)

Offline tech5940

• Supporter
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2015, 05:37:32 am »
Glad to hear it. Seriously as I don't subscribe to "normal" tv anymore so when I think about the $120 a month I'd be paying for cable I have no problem giving a few bucks here and there to awesome YouTube contributors who produce entertaining content. No shame in mentioning it if people want to donate they will if not we'll you will still benefit from the YouTube "views". 

Sent from my iPhone

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2015, 05:59:12 am »

This spoils our fun  :(
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2015, 06:03:48 am »
As you've indicated you'll be selling DMM's that no doubt you'll be ordering in the 1000's you have no option but to get bigger premises. Inward and dispatch offices, forklift, online sales plus all the stuff you do now, probably 500 M2 is what you really need.  :-\
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf