Should Dave Get a Bigger Lab?

Yes
82 (56.2%)
No
38 (26%)
It Depends
26 (17.8%)

Total Members Voted: 145

Author Topic: Should Dave Get a Bigger Lab?  (Read 47975 times)

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Re: Should Dave Get a Bigger Lab?
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2015, 06:06:14 am »
Always fun to discuss. Of course I'm going to do what I want  :P
This spoils our fun  :(

But you have the illusion of democracy, just like with your government  ;D

Offline jitter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2015, 06:12:07 am »
As the title says, should I get a bigger lab?
Current lab is 50sqm, can't swing a cat, and no windows so kinda depressing considering the hours I spend in there.

I was wondering about the no windows thing, I definitely agree that that gets very depressing. There's a drawback... if you're a person like me who likes to be outside a lot, then looking at good weather knowing you are free to leave, well... I probably wouldn't be able to resist the temptation.

Considering a 100sqm office space with 50sqm open space, and 50sqm as office cubicles, plus windows and door that opens onto a balcony. Fresh air would be handy for thermal ovens, chemicals and what not, and sanity. I think I've decided to make windows and a balcony compulsory on any upgrade.

IMHO just the sanity thing alone is worth it.

Naturally it costs more than twice as much as my current one. Three times more if I fail to rent my current space out (I own it).
Almost the same location.
What say you...

If you weren't able to afford it, you wouldn't be considering it. So, if I were you, I'd probably go for it.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 06:28:39 am by jitter »

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2015, 06:20:13 am »
probably 500 M2 is what you really need.  :-\

Only a measly $150k/year + outgoings for 500sqm. I'll move right in  ;D

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2015, 07:00:21 am »
I would go for the window and a bigger office, if some of the new projects (DMM etc) and others keep happening (& I hope they do), some extra room for storage/sorting/posting may be very helpful. But have a look at costs, the extra area it has to pay its way!
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2015, 07:21:59 am »
What is your wife going to think now that you will be going to a nicer place?  Maybe nicer than home?  Maybe you "need" to suffer.
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2015, 07:30:14 am »
Windows and a balcony are nice, especially is the noise level there is low enough that you can do things outdoors with low noise, like the rather famous ranting, especially if there is a little ambient noise ( wind in trees, birds but no trucks and car noise) to add to it. Plus wind ruffling the air, plus you can always end by simply panning to the balcony, walking in front looking out and away from the camera, and give the parting words.  Always gives the dramatic feel, plus now you do have somebody to be the second unit operator, and room to actually have a second POV would be nice.

South or East facing so low ambient light level for a part of the day so a white curtain across the window ( plain white cotton curtain, full length and preferably 2 layer for the sound damping it gives) gives a nice even light. North or West facing all day light, but shadows and likely you will have too much ambient light at times for good even lighting.

I like the idea offered above of the Buy a Brick option, as you can buy a whole load of thin brick facing, and simply set up a frame of shutterply  that you glue the brick to and place on the wall. No damage to the existing, and you can move it easily. Single sheer will take at least 10 bricks, and making the labels out of PCB will be cheap as well.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 07:33:10 am by SeanB »

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
  • It is hot until proved not.
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2015, 08:20:45 am »
A window is an absolute must, the best thinking is done while staring out of one. So it's either move or get a chainsaw and make a window. A balcony is good as well especially for drop tests on equipment. :-DD

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2015, 08:57:53 am »
Will it be big enough for a lounge type area? Good for visitors (swmbo and the kids to play or have a nap) and perhaps an interview area. As for the window, so many positives.

Offline PE1RKI

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2015, 09:00:47 am »
what about a garage at your house where you live, and expand the size a bit.

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2015, 09:08:22 am »
]1uote]Strangely though, it is possible to rent an entire house for the price of a 100sqm office!
[/quote]
There's your answer.
Why pay for commercial space when you don't need it to be. Don't know about Aus but I'd imagine taxes etc. would also be lower. Only minor concern might be security.

Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2015, 09:31:24 am »
Zoning might prohibit that. Here there was a recent case where plans were passed for a 3 bedroom 1 story house, but what was built was basically a warehouse and commercial retail property. Owner currently has balance of 30 days to demolish or face jail time and demolition by the Metro. Another is a building that started as 5 storeys residential but which now is in court for 13 stories, full coverage and more.

There are a lot of very unhappy neighbours of people running businesses from home, ranging from Meth labs to trucking companies.

Offline German_EE

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2015, 10:28:28 am »
Keep the existing lab but have less stuff in it.

Seriously

Do you really need a dozen scopes and all of the other test equipment that only gets turned on once in a blue moon? Have a big Ebay sale and keep on getting rid of equipment until the need for at least a third of all that shelving is removed. Keep one workbench for 'work' and another for video shooting and that's it.
Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks.

Warren Buffett

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2015, 10:55:05 am »
Whether or not you should get a bigger lab is entirely up to you, I honestly don't think that the opinions of forum members matter here. :-//
Always fun to discuss. Of course I'm going to do what I want  :P
To me daylight is very important to feel good. The first thing I did when I started working for myself was putting 2 huge roof windows in my office/lab to get more light in. I'd choose the new office (and probably never went for 'the bunker').
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2015, 10:57:19 am »
Zoning might prohibit that. Here there was a recent case where plans were passed for a 3 bedroom 1 story house, but what was built was basically a warehouse and commercial retail property. Owner currently has balance of 30 days to demolish or face jail time and demolition by the Metro. Another is a building that started as 5 storeys residential but which now is in court for 13 stories, full coverage and more.

There are a lot of very unhappy neighbours of people running businesses from home, ranging from Meth labs to trucking companies.
But for a business that's just a bloke doing stuff that's not disturbing anyone, moving in to an existing house, much less likely to be a problem. And if it's rented, even less so.

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2015, 10:59:01 am »

Seriously

+1
Once a year , go round and look at everything, and ask if you've used it in the last year, or are likely to in the next. If not, ebay/freecycle/donate it.

..and you _do_ have that bunker to unload crap into as well...

Offline vk3yedotcom

• Frequent Contributor
    • vk3ye dot com (radio articles and projects)
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2015, 11:03:34 am »

This.

A corollary of Parkinsons Law ('expenditure rises to meet income') is that 'junk increases to fill available space'.

The viewer doesn't care whether you're in your garage, in a small lab or in a bigger lab.

To quote the ending of a speech you'll remember, content is king!
NEW! Ham Radio Get Started: Your success in amateur radio. One of 8 ebooks available on amateur radio topics. Details at  https://books.vk3ye.com

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2015, 11:05:22 am »
There's your answer.
Why pay for commercial space when you don't need it to be. Don't know about Aus but I'd imagine taxes etc. would also be lower. Only minor concern might be security.

There are local council laws that restrict businesses operating from home. It's not that easy.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2015, 11:07:18 am »
Once a year , go round and look at everything, and ask if you've used it in the last year, or are likely to in the next. If not, ebay/freecycle/donate it.

Sure. Still doesn't get me a window or fresh air though.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2015, 11:08:24 am »
Isn't that full yet? It has the Sinclair C5, The Indiana jones train set, the hardware tins.

Plus two huge teardown victims that can't fit in the lab.
Not close to being full.

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2015, 11:11:10 am »
Isn't better to sell the current space and buy another that fits your needs?

Alexander.
Become a realist, stay a dreamer.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2015, 11:14:39 am »
There's your answer.

There are local council laws that restrict businesses operating from home. It's not that easy.

Not allowed to use more than 10% of the house:
Under the Building Code of Australia and SEPP, a Home
Occupation, Home Business or Home Industry is not
permitted to exceed 10% of the existing floor area of the
building as this would change the classification of the
building.
Under Clause 2.43 of the SEPP, a Home Occupation, Home
Business or Home Industry is not permitted to include the
manufacture of food products or the undertaking of skin
penetration procedures.

Nor are you allowed to stab yourself with multimeter probes it seems.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2015, 11:16:32 am »
Isn't better to sell the current space and buy another that fits your needs?

That's messy. Plus I'd have more capital tied up.
Also, much fewer options for buying places.
There is one vacant literally next door to me, and it has a window. I rather like it, but they won't sell, and they want excessive rent, so it just sits vacant  ::)
I also passed on one next door the other month that went up for sale. It didn't have any windows, and was only a 25sqm upgrade.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 11:19:31 am by EEVblog »

Offline vk3yedotcom

• Frequent Contributor
    • vk3ye dot com (radio articles and projects)
« Reply #47 on: September 27, 2015, 11:21:21 am »

Sure. Still doesn't get me a window or fresh air though.

Is it worth putting a dollar value on this benefit - even just for an intellectual exercise?

If moving to a bigger lab increases your costs, will your income rise commensurately?

If not, will you need to work even harder to earn more just to retain current income?

Or are you better off to save money by staying put, but go outside for an hour each lunchtime?

If the latter reduces productivity, is the decline in the revenue arising from that reduced productivity less than what you're saving by staying put?

Just like no one claims that government got any better when the politicians moved to the new parliament house in 1988, will a move have a similar effect, or will, unlike the politicians, there be some worthwhile gains? 
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 11:22:54 am by vk3yedotcom »
NEW! Ham Radio Get Started: Your success in amateur radio. One of 8 ebooks available on amateur radio topics. Details at  https://books.vk3ye.com

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #48 on: September 27, 2015, 11:26:35 am »
Is it worth putting a dollar value on this benefit - even just for an intellectual exercise?

That's almost uncalculatable for my unique "business" I think. Because I continue to make money pretty much regardless of how much or what quality of content I produce.
In theory I could have continued to operate out of my 5sqm garage lab and made exactly the same income as I do now.

Offline RickBrant

• Supporter
« Reply #49 on: September 27, 2015, 11:32:16 am »
Maybe you could solve the "window" problem with a remote camera feed to an HD screen. Add an outside mic so you can hear the birdies.  I'm only half kidding here!
"banging meter needles into stop pins since 1965"

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf