Should Dave Get a Bigger Lab?

Yes
82 (56.2%)
No
38 (26%)
It Depends
26 (17.8%)

Total Members Voted: 145

Author Topic: Should Dave Get a Bigger Lab?  (Read 47899 times)

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
Re: Should Dave Get a Bigger Lab?
« Reply #50 on: September 27, 2015, 11:39:18 am »
I believe there is more practical reasons for having a balcony. You can heat things for example, without triggering expensive alarms.

Alexander.
Become a realist, stay a dreamer.

Offline continuo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #51 on: September 27, 2015, 11:40:12 am »
Go for the bigger lab with all the windows and balcony. And put some plants in there. And get a cat

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52 on: September 27, 2015, 11:41:40 am »
If you are growing - and it seems you are - then eventually you will have to move to a larger place. And if the opportunity comes to get a better and larger place, it will help you to grow even faster, feel better, be happier and may be even make more money.

Sure, take a risk and get a bigger lab.

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline bitslice

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #53 on: September 27, 2015, 11:45:50 am »
Do you need all that space and equipment to work? Or is this just the convenience of working in the same space you've stored all that junk?

I'd rather stay at home and work, and ignore that 10% rule until someone complains.

Offline bookaboo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #54 on: September 27, 2015, 11:50:36 am »
So many variables it's hard for a third party to give a yes/no answer. I would consider looking at whether you are making optimal use of all your space first, a ruthless clear out and upgrade of storage facilities might buy you more time to evaluate. Especially as you have a storage bunker.

Online Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55 on: September 27, 2015, 11:53:30 am »
I work from home and the last lab I had was spare space at the end of the hallway, maybe 2m^2 maximum. It was packed to the gills, and much of the equipment I had that was rarely used ended up in cupboards in the spare room.

I moved a year or so ago, and decided as part of that I'd get enough space for a proper office. That space is 7m^2, and within six months the space was full again.

The benefit of working from home are many, one of which is the view from the window and the balcony, but realistically I maybe look out of the window once a day if at all, and the balcony is used once per month if that. The balcony at the last place had an awesome view over the Thames too, I just didn't use it very much, and when I did it was usually with a pint of gin and tonic in hand.

Offline all_repair

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #56 on: September 27, 2015, 11:54:36 am »
Do you need all that space and equipment to work? Or is this just the convenience of working in the same space you've stored all that junk?

I'd rather stay at home and work, and ignore that 10% rule until someone complains.

Don't think he can ignore as he is now, with such a huge youtube viewers.   

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #57 on: September 27, 2015, 12:02:10 pm »
Whether or not you should get a bigger lab is entirely up to you, I honestly don't think that the opinions of forum members matter here. :-//

Always fun to discuss. Of course I'm going to do what I want  :P

I figured you already have your mind made up and know the risks vs benefits.
I guess the real question is; Are you ready to become a property manager, since you own your current location?
Sue AF6LJ

Offline DrGeoff

• Frequent Contributor
    • AXT Systems
« Reply #58 on: September 27, 2015, 12:10:33 pm »
Isn't better to sell the current space and buy another that fits your needs?

That's messy. Plus I'd have more capital tied up.
Also, much fewer options for buying places.
There is one vacant literally next door to me, and it has a window. I rather like it, but they won't sell, and they want excessive rent, so it just sits vacant  ::)
I also passed on one next door the other month that went up for sale. It didn't have any windows, and was only a 25sqm upgrade.

Buy the building and put it in your smsf? :)
Was it really supposed to do that?

Offline Mechanical Menace

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59 on: September 27, 2015, 12:24:56 pm »
You wouldn't be asking if you didn't already know you can well afford it. And you wouldn't be asking if the extra room, windows, and balcony weren't a major want. Now I'm not really an outdoorsy person but even I appreciate being able to stare out of the window watching the world go by or taking a cuppa outside while I think over something. But I'd also say that if you can avoid spending the extra money don't bother. So with the sensible head on I'd say it all comes down to the answer to the following question. Do you think the extra space and more pleasant environment will lead to higher productivity and/or make it possible to take on more lucrative projects you just can't handle in the 50 square meters?
Second sexiest ugly bloke on the forum.
"Don't believe every quote you read on the internet, because I totally didn't say that."
~Albert Einstein

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #60 on: September 27, 2015, 12:40:14 pm »
I believe there is more practical reasons for having a balcony. You can heat things for example, without triggering expensive alarms.

Last month I stunk out the lab for 3 days using the thermal oven. Had to leave the door open all the time.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #61 on: September 27, 2015, 12:41:53 pm »
Buy the building and put it in your smsf? :)

Who do you think owns my bunker  ;D

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #62 on: September 27, 2015, 12:48:26 pm »

Last month I stunk out the lab for 3 days using the thermal oven. Had to leave the door open all the time.
I was thinking about that when you were running the oven for the TV repair project, I'll bet you got some dirty looks from the other tenants in the building. All the more reason to pull the trigger and move to a larger space with outside airflow.
Sue AF6LJ

Offline nowlan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #63 on: September 27, 2015, 01:34:41 pm »
linustechtips used to work of a rented kitchen. They just moved into a larger warehousey thing. But they have a few staff supporting the leads, and have a heap of sponsorship/spruiking.

Offline GK

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64 on: September 27, 2015, 01:42:29 pm »
If you want to feel closer to nature you could just get some lab chickens. Much cheaper than renting a bigger space and you get fresh eggs to crack for breakfast to boot.

They also make for more intelligent conversation than a significant number of people who hang out here :P

« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 01:49:19 pm by GK »
Bzzzzt. No longer care, over this forum shit.........ZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Offline fcb

• Super Contributor
  • Test instrument designer/G1YWC
    • Electron Plus
« Reply #65 on: September 27, 2015, 01:46:03 pm »
Your biggest resource constraint is not the size of your lab - it's your time...

If you can get fresh air and real daylight, that's a HUGE bonus, but if you can have a clear out / binning session and save the time/distraction, that's what I would do.

DMM - I must have missed this, is this the 'secret' project with another manufacturer???

https://electron.plus Power Analysers, VI Signature Testers, Voltage References, Picoammeters, Curve Tracers.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #66 on: September 27, 2015, 01:56:13 pm »
And another one pops up on the radar. 150sqm and cheaper than the other 100sqm one. Has a window in one room overlooking something I don't know yet. Reminds me of the time I got an apartment in Melbourne with a view, of a brick wall of the building next door.
Must have chalk body outlines on the floor or something for the price. Sounds very suss...

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67 on: September 27, 2015, 01:57:05 pm »
If you want to feel closer to nature you could just get some lab chickens. Much cheaper than renting a bigger space and you get fresh eggs to crack for breakfast to boot.
Trip on one of those and you could have a serious cock up.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #68 on: September 27, 2015, 01:57:30 pm »
but if you can have a clear out / binning session and save the time/distraction, that's what I would do.

Crazy prices, everything must go!
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/271998538725
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/271998513667

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69 on: September 27, 2015, 01:58:56 pm »

They also make for more intelligent conversation than a significant number of people who hang out here :P

White not brown........... I agree on the conversation, though often all I get is a bemused look and then back to the bowl of pellets.

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70 on: September 27, 2015, 02:58:31 pm »
Dave, since you are now self employed and not tied to a specific location, the question is why do you live in Sidney in the first place?

Can't you find a back country property with land, view, a big house and a large barn for your lab, all for a very reasonable price?

Offline Sbampato12

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #71 on: September 27, 2015, 03:12:17 pm »
Dave, since you are now self employed and not tied to a specific location, the question is why do you live in Sidney in the first place?

Can't you find a back country property with land, view, a big house and a large barn for your lab, all for a very reasonable price?

I don't know Australia, but that could impact on Internet (avaliable? velocity?), David 2, mail speed... etc... Schools for the children

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72 on: September 27, 2015, 03:24:31 pm »
I'd avoid a place in downtown core, constant fire-ambulance-police sirenes are very annoying. Birds are just music to the ears compare to that. A place in an industrial area should also be checked for noise and traffic. But there would be not much to look at from the window.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline Mechanical Menace

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73 on: September 27, 2015, 03:27:56 pm »

You wouldn't get decent internet speeds at all and the sticks are a terrible place to grow up in most ways. All that beautiful scenery but rubbish schools and nothing to do but drugs.
Second sexiest ugly bloke on the forum.
"Don't believe every quote you read on the internet, because I totally didn't say that."
~Albert Einstein

Offline kwass

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #74 on: September 27, 2015, 03:33:49 pm »
Keep in mind that if you move to a different building you won't have access to the incredible amount of stuff you've found in the "dumpster dive" room.  I'd say keep the current lab but get an additional, nicer, smaller space with a window.  You can spend all your editing and other business time in there, and if needed do the smelly stuff there too -- but probably just avoid the smelly stuff all together that can't be good for your health.

-katie

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf