Author Topic: Should i sell my Brymen 867s & Fluke 177 and buy a Fluke 87v?  (Read 4330 times)

Offline frozenfrogz

• Frequent Contributor
  • Having fun with Arduino and Raspberry Pi
Re: Should i sell my Brymen 867s & Fluke 177 and buy a Fluke 87v?
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2018, 08:50:47 pm »
Since the OPs question has been answered and we’re floating anyway:

What is your opinion on one-knob turn vs. multi button press interfaces on a meter?

I love the old Fluke 80xx and Voltcraft 6010 (Hung Chang 601) meters for their interface and though I sometimes really like the simplicity of my Fluke 70 series meters, I keep coming back to the devices with lots of dedicated buttons.
He’s like a trained ape. Without the training.

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2018, 08:59:27 pm »
How did I take anything out of context? You were responding to @Wolfgang who said something I was speaking to precisely:
Out of contest was using 5 USD meter to illustrate that good honest meter that has only 2 but honest and good functions is better than piece of crap that doesn't even work properly... Of course it is better.
That was not the question.. And on that topic..
But to say that Fluke 87V's streamlined design is it's weakness is simply wrong. As there are a lot of us who prefer it exactly for that reason. This isn't even about Brymen vs. Fluke. Even when it comes to Fluke's own meters 87V stands above the rest in the compromise between features and clean design or simplicity of use.

I didn't say that. I have great respect for F87 that I have used since 1996 in it's few incarnations. Been using Fluke equipment my whole life..
I was arguing exactly in other direction, that I disagree that Brymen BM869 has a weakness in fact that it is more featured. 
It is not it's weakness. If anything, it's a strength. So I replaced F87V as my daily meter with BM869S, and have no problem with it's more functions. Not confused at all.
I can measure AC and DC component of a signal at the same time. Voltage and frequency...  With one instrument. With F87 I would have to connect two instruments at the same time to achieve same.

It is not Brymen VS Fluke. It is actually question of simpler VS more featured instrument, and that drills down to type of work you do and personal choice.
Like you mentioned, If it didn't have it's many shortcomings, I would prefer F289 to F87. Or some of higher end meters from other manufacturers.

BM869S, like F87V, in my opinion is a very good  compromise between features and clean design or simplicity of use for the expanded functions it has..
For instance, much simpler than F289, with most of measurements (minus graphing that I don't find that important right now).

And in my original post I said, if F87V is how you like it and it is more natural to you, I'm happy for you. Far be it from me to tell you how you do your stuff. Whatever works for you.
You have your priorities. I respect that.

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2018, 09:12:25 pm »
Incidentally as a confidence builder, I haven’t noticed any bugs in daily use on mine.

Nor have I...

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2018, 09:24:59 pm »
Since the OPs question has been answered and we’re floating anyway:

What is your opinion on one-knob turn vs. multi button press interfaces on a meter?

I love the old Fluke 80xx and Voltcraft 6010 (Hung Chang 601) meters for their interface and though I sometimes really like the simplicity of my Fluke 70 series meters, I keep coming back to the devices with lots of dedicated buttons.

I liked old Fluke 80xx series. You could operate it with one hand, much easier than with rotating knob. But today's meters are autoranging, so less of twiddling anyways.  I guess both ways work..   

Offline Muxr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2018, 09:39:59 pm »
How did I take anything out of context? You were responding to @Wolfgang who said something I was speaking to precisely:
Out of contest was using 5 USD meter to illustrate that good honest meter that has only 2 but honest and good functions is better than piece of crap that doesn't even work properly... Of course it is better.
No, the point I was making is that having more features is not always better. And in many cases can be worse like in the extreme example I gave between the $5 meters, but I also used the example of Fluke 289.
Would you agree that Fluke 289 is not a piece of crap meter? Yet I think it's a worse meter for day to day electronics than a Fluke 87V.

So I don't see how anything I said is out of context. Both aspects of my comment support the same point. More features is not always better.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 09:41:43 pm by Muxr »

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2018, 10:16:44 pm »
No, the point I was making is that having more features is not always better. And in many cases can be worse like in the extreme example I gave between the $5 meters, but I also used the example of Fluke 289.
Would you agree that Fluke 289 is not a piece of crap meter? Yet I think it's a worse meter for day to day electronics than a Fluke 87V.
I would agree that  while it is not a piece of crap per se, it has horrible usability as a daily driver. If I had to choose between F87V and F289 and had no other choices, I would choose F87V, just like you.  My point is that there are other meters that have more (and very useful) features than F87V, while being pretty much almost equally easy to use as F87V. And I chose those, and not F87V.
So I don't see how anything I said is out of context. Both aspects of my comment support the same point. More features is not always better.

I apologize for any misunderstanding stemming from a fact that English is not my native language.
I don't try to argue with you that "..More features is not always better.." is wrong. I agree with that. Especially if those features are crap features on a crap meter. It doesn't help, like lipstick on a pig. 

But I argue that "More features are better if they are done right and in a way that meter is still logical and easy to use."
As example BM869 I don't find anything harder to use than on F87V.  It is simple and logical, and pretty much self explanatory.
It is a good implementation. That one is better, with features.
That is my opinion. I respect yours.

So to bring our opinions together, if you compare two meters, one with simpler functions but very good, and other with hundreds of features that are hard to use and generally badly implemented, you should go with simpler, good one. Because that one is really good an the other one is not, it's crap.
We agree here.

But if you compare two instruments with comparable ergonomics, quality, both good instruments, but one is simpler model an other one is more featured, why would you insist on one that is inferior in capabilities?  Reasons would be that simpler one is cheaper, or that you really know you would not ever, never, use those additional features. In that case you could choose to go with the simpler one anyways . And it would be good choice.
Or you could just choose so because you like it that way.
And that is fine.

The following users thanked this post: Muxr

Offline Terry01Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2018, 10:24:27 pm »

I love my 289!

I am never in a hurry or against the clock or anything like that though so can just doddle along and enjoy the meter. I can however see where someone just needing a quick measure or 2 during their working day could get frustrated with it being so slow to start up. Once it's going though it's just as quick as any of my other meters, I certainly haven't noticed it being overly slow in any of the ranges or modes. It's quite a big bulky meter for having in your pocket or whatever too. I have heard they chew through batteries also which would be a pain in the arse but to ne honest I am still on my 1st set, I don't use it all day every day though so that will help mine for sure.

Oh....the mew scope is awesome too!  :)
Sparks and Smoke means i'm nearly there!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf