Author Topic: Should/Would Samsung (brand) be around?  (Read 9247 times)

Online Rick LawTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Should/Would Samsung (brand) be around?
« on: November 06, 2016, 04:02:56 am »
Recall an earlier thread here about the exploded Samsung washer...  This post is not about washer or note 7, but about the brand.

The "exploding washers" are now being recalled - 2.8 million of them.
http://www.consumerreports.org/recalls/samsung-recall-top-loader-washers/

Coming so close to the Note7 recall, do you think Samsung brand will survive?  Should they even try?

May be they are better off starting another brand to do the "premium" and migrate away from Samsung as the brand.  Starting over is not a bad idea - like creating Acura to break from Honda's economical & reliable so as to get away from the "econo car" image.  Same for Luxus vs Toyota.

What do you think?

Online NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
Re: Should/Would Samsung (brand) be around?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2016, 05:33:56 am »
By that logic, the Ford Pinto fiasco should have burned the Ford brand to the ground except it somehow didn't. And that's even including Ford's initial decision that it would be cheaper to just pay the lawsuits than to fix the problem.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2016, 06:05:04 am »
Samsung makes decent products, their televisions are very good, and their other consumer electronics and appliances are normally decent. I think they just need to make a MASSIVE public push (even if it's half faked) on quality control and making an effort to make safe products. Honestly their smartphone is completely safe in every respect, it's just when you have a 1 in 20 million odds of something happening, and people buy 60 million of something, 3 phones will blow up (Not actual numbers). I mean 1 in 20 million odds are better odds than what you have of being killed every day, but it's still not good enough.

Samsung is honestly a victim of a 1 in millions chances that they need to defeat.
I forget who I am sometimes, but then I remember that it's probably not worth remembering.
EEVBlog IRC Admin - Join us on irc.austnet.org #eevblog

Offline NottheDan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2016, 07:40:58 am »
I think you are overestimating the ease of the possibility of the Samsung brand being retired.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2016, 08:01:58 am »
I think you are overestimating the ease of the possibility of the Samsung brand being retired.

I agree.  There's a whole lot of good product out there - and much of that is in the top echelon.  I have a Galaxy S5 - and have no concerns about it or in considering other Samsung products.

I might baulk at washing machines - and wait for a time after a new mobile device is released before taking one up, but the brand itself has just been bruised - not fatally wounded.

Not by a long chalk.

IMHO.

Offline all_repair

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2016, 08:05:08 am »
Not sure.  Still holding on to my note 3, was waiting for the Note 7 smoke to settle to get one, but it vaporises.  Note 8 is too far away, going for HuaWei Mate 9.  Other brands shall gain but Samsung should be still around unless they copy Nokia and employ some microsoft executive to kill them straight.
I own many Samsung products but their quality has been slipping.

Online JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2016, 09:29:12 am »
Recall an earlier thread here about the exploded Samsung washer...  This post is not about washer or note 7, but about the brand.

The "exploding washers" are now being recalled - 2.8 million of them.
http://www.consumerreports.org/recalls/samsung-recall-top-loader-washers/

Coming so close to the Note7 recall, do you think Samsung brand will survive?  Should they even try?

May be they are better off starting another brand to do the "premium" and migrate away from Samsung as the brand.  Starting over is not a bad idea - like creating Acura to break from Honda's economical & reliable so as to get away from the "econo car" image.  Same for Luxus vs Toyota.

What do you think?

i think you are being naive. i think that the washing machine recall is just not to have more bullshit from the "press". one people being idiot and not following instructions gets a lot more coverage and traction: i see it every damn day, in every other field. so they are putting their hands over and saying all right let's give in until the water settles.
this is not the first time a "scandal" like this happens for samsung (on the top of my head, the android based tv that looked at you through the webcam) and almost all big brands had too: apple and the exploding iphone, apple and the antennagate, lg and other tv makers doing cartel to increase prices...
actually i think i remember a simillar topic one year ago for some other bullshit that happened to samsung.
big/important/historic brands will never die. when it seems they can't survive somebody else will sustain them, usually their government.
old banks, airlines, car factories.... rings a bell?

Offline mairo

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2016, 11:01:48 am »

Offline station240

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2016, 11:43:32 am »
Actually this is the second recall of Samsung washing machines in just 2 years.
The recall last year was for machines that catch fire, even after Samsung repair them.

Details on the previous incident
http://www.smh.com.au/business/consumer-affairs/thousands-of-dodgy-samsung-washing-machines-still-a-fire-risk-in-australian-homes-20151222-glt95b.html
http://www.samsung.com/au/washingmachinerecall/media-statement-washing-machine-recall.pdf

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2016, 01:28:27 pm »
Samsung makes decent products, their televisions are very good, and their other consumer electronics and appliances are normally decent.

I worked in the electronics department of a store that's part of what is probably the largest retail chain in the world. Between 2007 and 2011, the number one customer returned brand of TV was Samsung. Whether the Samsung TVs actually broke or were maybe just too hard to operate or were just a poor value, I don't know. But considering that all other brands outsold the expensive Samsungs by a couple of orders of magnitude and were almost never returned, I would say no, their TVs are not very good.

Offline rob77

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2016, 02:00:48 pm »
Samsung makes decent products, their televisions are very good, and their other consumer electronics and appliances are normally decent.

I worked in the electronics department of a store that's part of what is probably the largest retail chain in the world. Between 2007 and 2011, the number one customer returned brand of TV was Samsung. Whether the Samsung TVs actually broke or were maybe just too hard to operate or were just a poor value, I don't know. But considering that all other brands outsold the expensive Samsungs by a couple of orders of magnitude and were almost never returned, I would say no, their TVs are not very good.

i don't know where you worked and where did you pull your numbers from, but Samsung has the highest market share and had it during the last decade..

https://www.statista.com/statistics/267095/global-market-share-of-lcd-tv-manufacturers/

and also Samsung is too big to fail... Samsung is not just electronics... they do almost everything, even building giant cargo ships.

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2016, 02:26:15 pm »
Oh, I didn't pull numbers from anywhere, all I had to do was look. All the returned TVs were kept in the same bin in the back of the store until they were shipped elsewhere to be processed. I walked past them every day I was there. Rarely was there anything in there but Samsungs.

I actually believe many of them were returned just because the buyer decided they just weren't worth the price and exchanged for something cheaper. I consider "value" as part of being "good".

Two years ago I needed a new TV and went back to that store to buy one. I came home with a Sanyo.

Offline rob77

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2016, 02:37:53 pm »
Oh, I didn't pull numbers from anywhere, all I had to do was look. All the returned TVs were kept in the same bin in the back of the store until they were shipped elsewhere to be processed. I walked past them every day I was there. Rarely was there anything in there but Samsungs.

I actually believe many of them were returned just because the buyer decided they just weren't worth the price and exchanged for something cheaper. I consider "value" as part of being "good".

Two years ago I needed a new TV and went back to that store to buy one. I came home with a Sanyo.

you litearly stated
all other brands outsold the expensive Samsungs by a couple of orders of magnitude

couple of orders of magnitude is 100 times... that would yield a less than 1% market share for Samsung. if Samsung sells 1 and all the others together sell 100 times more, then all sold together is 101 and therefore samsung market share would be 1/101 => 0.99% , yet somehow they've got 18-21% in the statistics ;)

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2016, 03:04:48 pm »
Correct. I was recounting personal experience, not official sales numbers. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

During the time I worked in that particular store "a couple of orders of magnitude" may have been a slight exaggeration. In reality, it was probably 50 or more Sanyo, Emerson, etc. per week vs. 2 maybe 3 Samsung. Sony probably outsold Samsung in that store during the time I worked there.

Also, customers of this very large retail chain are well known for not wanting to spend much money for anything.  But you might have to live in America to know that.

Online JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2016, 03:12:42 pm »
in my brief parenthesis in retail, in my chain sony was all the rage, while samsung tried everything to boost sales. in the chain across the street it was the contrary. at least one samsung sales promoter per department and of course samsung was doing great numbers with them

Offline NottheDan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2016, 03:52:25 pm »
in my brief parenthesis in retail, in my chain sony was all the rage, while samsung tried everything to boost sales. in the chain across the street it was the contrary. at least one samsung sales promoter per department and of course samsung was doing great numbers with them
Same target market or different parts of society?

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2016, 04:49:39 pm »

Saying that samsung TVs are overpriced compared to, say, Sony is a joke. Also a very large part of other brand TVs contain Samsung LCD panels anyway, especially if they are not bottom end models.

Online JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2016, 05:30:10 pm »
same target market. here one chain supposedly have better treatment/deals hence sales hence treatment/deals etc with some manufacturers, others from others. only some carry certain products from brand A only certain carry some from brand B

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2016, 05:59:43 pm »
 Someone at Samsung must be a pyro - every issue is about things catching fire. Hopefully that guy never had anything to do with the SSD group, I've got 4 of them across various machines.

Offline NottheDan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2016, 08:54:53 pm »
same target market. here one chain supposedly have better treatment/deals hence sales hence treatment/deals etc with some manufacturers, others from others. only some carry certain products from brand A only certain carry some from brand B

Just wondering what gets the customers in the doors to drive such disparity right next to one another. So your store gets the better deals on the Sony gear and stocks more of that while the other one is the same with Samsung?

That sounds like it will drive a strong pre-selection. People already preferring Sony come to you while Samsung fans go to the other store.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf