Author Topic: Show unread messages, but filter only the topics where I wrote something  (Read 5783 times)

Offline RoGeorgeTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Is there any way to see the topics with unread replies, but only the ones where I already wrote something in the past, please?

Offline helius

• Super Contributor
Re: Show unread messages, but filter only the topics where I wrote something
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 10:22:50 am »

The following users thanked this post: Kilrah, RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 10:44:47 am »
LOL, it's on top of all pages and I didn't saw it!  :-DD

I swear I looked twice for all links/buttons/profile options, but I didn't saw it.
I guess my brain treated it as an advertising banner, and "AddBlock" its content.
 :palm:
Now I see it.

Thanks!

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2016, 08:18:03 pm »
Is there any way to follow interest subjects without replying inside those subjects, please?

I tried the "Notify" button, but "Notify" sends e-mails.
This is not what I want. I can log into eevblog from everywhere, but I can not do the same for my e-mail account, so I would like to know if there is a way to filter new messages for those subjects where I set the "Notify".

If "Notify" is for e-mails only, is there other way to follow some subjects using just the eevblog.com site, please?

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2016, 08:29:23 pm »
Just post a null content message in the thread you are interested in.  Some suggestions-

1 - Following.

2 -  This is interesting, I am going to follow it.

3 -  I've had the same question.  Glad you asked.

4 -  .

This is the technique used in other forums I am involved with.   The only downside is that it artificially extends the thread size.  That isn't all that bad because it is an indicator of the interest in the subject that is more meaningful than the views metric.  Views may only indicate an interesting title.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2016, 08:56:23 pm »
It seems like this is not the proper way to do it on eevblog.

I just did this today for about 7 subjects, and a few users let me know this is not the way.
If there is no functionality for notifications without e-mails, I guess I could prepare some script to poll for new messages for bookmarked subjects.

Offline Kilrah

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2016, 09:22:53 pm »
The "subscribe" posts are usually considered very annoying, and most forums actually have a "subscribe" button that can do this without having to post so people will often tell you off. Alas this one doesn't have that, so either use Notify or post something that actually contributes to the topic.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 04:56:22 pm by Kilrah »

Offline Towger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2016, 04:34:35 am »
Use Tapatalk to read the form.

The following users thanked this post: Kilrah

Offline Zbig

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2016, 12:04:07 pm »
Just post a null content message in the thread you are interested in.  Some suggestions-

1 - Following.

2 -  This is interesting, I am going to follow it.

3 -  I've had the same question.  Glad you asked.

4 -  .

This is the technique used in other forums I am involved with.   The only downside is that it artificially extends the thread size.  That isn't all that bad because it is an indicator of the interest in the subject that is more meaningful than the views metric.  Views may only indicate an interesting title.

What a terrible advice :palm: I'm now clicking through various threads only to find RoGeorge's "subscribe" posts. What on Earth made you think that's an even remotely reasonable idea? :(

@RoGeorge: Please don't do that. It's selfish, messy and impolite. Better get your webmail access sorted than ruin the experience for everyone else.

The following users thanked this post: Kilrah, TheSteve

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2016, 06:57:20 pm »
My apologies.  I agree that null content posts are annoying, but had no idea of the depth of the feelings by some.  I find them easy to ignore, but I suppose others don't have that ability.  They do solve a problem. 

I really do like the forums that have a subscribe button.  Maybe someday that will include EEVblog.  Email notifications work but clutter up what is already a very cluttered environment, the email inbox.  A different kind of annoyance, that is worse for me.  YMMV.

Offline Towger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2016, 07:48:28 pm »
I really do like the forums that have a subscribe button.  Maybe someday that will include EEVblog.

The functionality is there using Tapatalk to read forum. It is possible Tapatalk is managing it, but more lightly the form software is, as Tapatalk just calls an API on Dave's server.  Maybe Dave needs to change a setting to enable it on the Web interface, or the option Is buried under something else.

Online Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2016, 10:15:40 pm »
I really do like the forums that have a subscribe button.  Maybe someday that will include EEVblog.

The functionality is there using Tapatalk to read forum. It is possible Tapatalk is managing it, but more lightly the form software is, as Tapatalk just calls an API on Dave's server.  Maybe Dave needs to change a setting to enable it on the Web interface, or the option Is buried under something else.
Isnt that the function of the "Notify" button at the bottom of the thread next to the reply button?

Offline Towger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2016, 04:59:28 am »
"Notify" button at the bottom of the thread next to the reply button?

It is but it sends an email. I have a filter setup in my mail client to move them onto their own EEVblog folder.
The OP wants a button to press which lists subscribed threads with new replies in them.

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2016, 05:19:17 am »
I've never understood why something so simple and obvious as a "follow thread" option is not enabled. Especially as it turns out most forum users are actually passive forum readers and not shitposters like me  :-DD

"Show unread posts since last visit" and "Show new replies to your posts" are great, but maybe the latter should add " and followed threads"

The notify posts thing is worse than useless. It just spams your email Inbox. It's so awful I think it should be disabled.

The following users thanked this post: nugglix

Online Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2016, 07:00:36 am »
I agree. Tge should be a feature for this. The notify button just spams my inbox so i dont use it

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2016, 03:04:25 pm »
The OP wants a button to press which lists subscribed threads with new replies in them.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/profile/?area=notification

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2016, 09:46:41 pm »
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/profile/?area=notification

I knew about that place where all topics I choose to be notify are listed. What I didn't knew until now is that the topics listed in https://www.eevblog.com/forum/profile/?area=notification also have a small orange 'New' icon for each of them where something new has been posted. Those 'New' icons are a good enough workaround for the missing 'Subscribe' button.

One more thing: I asked here about the missing "Subscribe" feature only after I realized some users were upset, so CatalinaWOW have nothing to do with it.

Thank you all for your patience.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf