Author Topic: Show your favorite and most used benchtop PSU  (Read 290442 times)

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
Re: Show your favorite and most used benchtop PSU
« Reply #75 on: February 18, 2013, 05:00:41 pm »

Hmm, that flat thingy with VFDs, what's that meter? Looks nice

Offline PA4TIM

• Super Contributor
  • instruments are like rabbits, they multiply fast
    • PA4TIMs shelter for orphan measurement stuff
« Reply #76 on: February 18, 2013, 05:30:06 pm »
Just a photo of a Keithley 2000 display showing the output of the PM and photoshopped in the picture
www.pa4tim.nl my collection measurement gear and experiments Also lots of info about network analyse
www.schneiderelectronicsrepair.nl  repair of test and calibration equipment
https://www.youtube.com/user/pa4tim my youtube channel

Offline Jonny

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #77 on: February 22, 2013, 02:03:13 am »
My only supply which doubles as a car battery charger. 3-30V 10A with overload protection. Pretty basic, and the multi-turn pot is cheap, has been cleaned once but got scratchy again in a short amount of time.

Jonny

Offline mzzj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78 on: February 22, 2013, 09:41:39 am »

Currently I have 8 of these (this is what I would call total overkill)  :-+

+HP 6633A
+ Delta elektronika 300V 4A
+ old homebrew analog power supply

Offline jancumps

• Supporter
  • New Low
« Reply #79 on: February 22, 2013, 10:37:50 am »
Modified Delta 30V 10A

Ah, the legendary holland power supply brand. Good to see one.

Offline PA4TIM

• Super Contributor
  • instruments are like rabbits, they multiply fast
    • PA4TIMs shelter for orphan measurement stuff
« Reply #80 on: February 22, 2013, 12:34:11 pm »
Yep, this is the SMPS version, and there support is great. If you have a 30 year old one and have a poblem and mail them for a schematic they send you one. I am active on a Duch foum and as soon as someone has a problem with a Delta ( very rare) the guys from Delta support log in and answer the questions them selves.

I love those HPs, i once almost bought one but one of the the problems was it had no banana terminals or other connections on the front.

Fred
www.pa4tim.nl my collection measurement gear and experiments Also lots of info about network analyse
www.schneiderelectronicsrepair.nl  repair of test and calibration equipment
https://www.youtube.com/user/pa4tim my youtube channel

Offline mzzj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81 on: February 22, 2013, 04:46:16 pm »

I love those HPs, i once almost bought one but one of the the problems was it had no banana terminals or other connections on the front.

Fred
Pretty easy to install by yourself. Just don't buy them from Agilent, they are bloody expensive as extra option. 6632B-series  have pre-made holes on the front, just stick a hole with a x-acto knife and you are good to go.

I love the 663xB series because of their ability to sink current and act as a DC-load. And did I mention accuracy  :-+
For 120 euros they are absolute bargain in terms of accuracy and features.

Offline BravoVTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #82 on: February 22, 2013, 05:09:50 pm »

Fred
Pretty easy to install by yourself. Just don't buy them from Agilent, they are bloody expensive as extra option. 6632B-series  have pre-made holes on the front, just stick a hole with a x-acto knife and you are good to go.

Confirmed, I've been stalking this series for quite sometime too, and most people like Fred, don't like it because there are no front terminals, but it can be modded.  ;)

Check this Japanese page, the photos should be self explanatory -> http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/ngydx785/13391785.html!

Edit : Check out this thread -> https://www.eevblog.com/forum/buysellwanted/hp-6632b-power-supply-electronic-load-in-uk/ , they've been buying like crazy there, two left / 25 sold. ;)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 05:21:51 pm by BravoV »

Offline blackdog

• Frequent Contributor
  • Please stop pushing bullshit...
« Reply #83 on: February 22, 2013, 05:41:48 pm »
Hi,

This is the power supply i use most.
I designed en build this one last year and put it in one of the Cisco PIX 501 Firewall boxes.

Most of the electronic stuff i design is low power and the 30mA en 200mA
currend range is more than enough for most circuits i am testing.

And yes its stable, is uses a Apex VRE310a reference.
Take a peek @ the schematic

Regarts,
Blackdog
Necessity is not an established fact, but an interpretation.

Offline Zapro

• Contributor
  • Breaking stuff to go fix it again
« Reply #84 on: February 22, 2013, 08:08:20 pm »
Well i guess i'll have to show my PSU too. I have two PSU's and some variacs. The small PSU is just a cheapie like this http://goo.gl/KoPVj

Anyway, the "real" PSU is a Delta Elektronika SM7020 - 0-70V 20A  :bullshit:

I've tried to build some Nixie-based Voltmeter/Ammeter for the PSU, but never got it finished...

HOW to make pictures fullsize? i cannot find the button that does that.... It only shows the thumbnails...
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 06:20:12 pm by Zapro »

Offline Circuitous

• Supporter
    • Corgi-Tronics
« Reply #85 on: March 02, 2013, 02:13:58 am »
Of these, I probably use the DP1308A (lower left) the most:

I just got this one yesterday, TTi QPX1200SP  1200Watts:

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #86 on: March 02, 2013, 02:28:19 am »
Oldies but goodies.

No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #87 on: March 02, 2013, 04:53:14 am »
Oldies but goodies.

Assuming the mechanical parts are properly cleaned & lubed and also consumable parts like caps are refreshed with good ones. When every time I saw this particular psus, had a feeling that these oldies life might be longer than ours.  :-\

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #88 on: March 02, 2013, 05:09:02 am »
When every time I saw this particular psus, had a feeling that these oldies life might be longer than ours.  :-\

Neither one is dated, but the parts inside are - the one on the left was made ca. 1964! Interesting to see how it was designed. The circuit board is FR4-style material, but with no traces - everything is wired point-to-point on turrets. Despite that, the layout is impressively clean and could pass for a modern PCB layout. Surprisingly few transistors for an all-transistor design (no ICs in this one, thank you very much!) with its specs. For some reason, they felt they needed rails near 100VDC for a power supply with a maximum output voltage of 20V... I guess efficiency hadn't been invented yet  ::) They used such high quality parts that even all the capacitors are still in perfectly good shape. I did have to "adjust" a couple of the precision resistors in the divider, though.

Offline robrenz

• Super Contributor
  • Real Machinist, Wannabe EE
« Reply #89 on: March 02, 2013, 06:28:12 am »
I did have to "adjust" a couple of the precision resistors in the divider, though.

What techniques are you using to adjust the divider resistors? 

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #90 on: March 02, 2013, 02:40:50 pm »
In one case, adding a tiny (0.5) series resistance, and in the other, a huge (22M) parallel. That way the bulk of the resistance still comes from the probably very stable resistors that are already there.

Offline robrenz

• Super Contributor
  • Real Machinist, Wannabe EE
« Reply #91 on: March 02, 2013, 03:05:53 pm »
To not derail this thread, could we discuss this further in my questions to you here  POWER DESIGNS PRECISION POWER SUPPLIES ?

Offline ecat

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #92 on: March 06, 2013, 10:54:29 pm »
Arrived today from ebay, Systron-Donner PQ20-2.
Here I have a couple of 10r resisters on the rear connectors.

The Bad:
Absolutely zero information about this or most other Systron-Donner equipment on the internet so, if it doesn't work you are in trouble.

The Good:
Absolutely zero information about this on the internet so, not very popular and therefore cheap, very cheap £17 excluding shipping.

Not had much time to play with it yet.
The two units can be separated from the rack making for a smaller setup.
The voltage can be controlled by an external 0-10V source - maybe the current too.
The current limit works as a CC source just as one would expect.
The on/off switch is on/off so no way of presetting current but...
Those pots on the front are 10 turn so I could fit a couple of counting/vernier type dials, I have a couple lying around.
A quick look inside reveals what appear to be six silver-mica caps per unit. Now, I know very little about electronics, but I do know you don't scatter silver-micas around just looks, they are not cheap.

All in all, quite a cute little bugger :)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 11:04:15 am by ecat »

Offline talsit

• Contributor
    • naniBox
« Reply #93 on: March 11, 2013, 05:19:16 am »
This one is mine!

It's a Kikusui PAN35-5A, I bought it 2nd hand just 4 days ago, and I'm already liking it quite a lot. It does have a serious problem though - the fan is incredibly loud!

I haven't seen anyone else with a Kikusui, is it not available outside Japan?

// dmo @ nanibox

Offline RickieSalad

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #94 on: March 11, 2013, 06:33:40 am »
Mastech HY3005F-3

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #95 on: March 11, 2013, 07:40:35 pm »
It's a Kikusui PAN35-5A, I bought it 2nd hand just 4 days ago, and I'm already liking it quite a lot. It does have a serious problem though - the fan is incredibly loud!

Finally ... a Japanese psu, looks like my Kenwood has a Japanese friend now in this thread ! ;D

Yep, Japanese's stuffs is rarely discussed here in this forum.  :'(

Offline talsit

• Contributor
    • naniBox
« Reply #96 on: March 12, 2013, 08:13:41 am »

Finally ... a Japanese psu, looks like my Kenwood has a Japanese friend now in this thread ! ;D

Yep, Japanese's stuffs is rarely discussed here in this forum.  :'(

Yeah, I was looking at the Kenwoods, but the only 2nd hand ones they had were 18V ones, and I needed 32V ideally. The Kikusui ones were quite pricier, and a lot more than I wanted to spend, but it was either this one, or a really crappy one rated only at 110V 60Hz (and in Osaka it's 100V 60Hz), and they had warning stickers saying that the full DC range won't work, only to 10%...
// dmo @ nanibox

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #97 on: March 12, 2013, 09:41:12 am »
Yeah, I was looking at the Kenwoods, but the only 2nd hand ones they had were 18V ones, and I needed 32V ideally. The Kikusui ones were quite pricier, and a lot more than I wanted to spend, but it was either this one, or a really crappy one rated only at 110V 60Hz (and in Osaka it's 100V 60Hz), and they had warning stickers saying that the full DC range won't work, only to 10%...
Hey Talsit, how much those 2nd hand used psu cost there ? Like your or Kenwoord, just ballpark number/approx. in US$ currency equivalent ?
Really curious at the Japanese market price there, especially for used ones, how bout others instruments like scope, dmm and etc ?

Btw, I'm assuming you're native Japanese, is it possible asking your help to find the Kenwood psu "service manual" like mine at the 1st post at maybe Japanese forums or mail-list ? I got the user manual already, opened it once and noticed its still using thru hole components, I guess its easy to repair, pretty please if its not troubling you too much.  :)

Fyi, all Kenwood's lab psus series is now owned by a company called Texio.

PS : Always felt dizy when reading google translation from Japanese -> English.  :-[
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 09:50:11 am by BravoV »

Offline maca_404

• Contributor
« Reply #98 on: March 12, 2013, 09:59:30 am »
Talsit did you look at replacing the fan,  I had the same issue with a lipo charger I have and replaced the fan with a more quality unit and its quiet as a mouse now.

Offline talsit

• Contributor
    • naniBox
« Reply #99 on: March 12, 2013, 10:22:49 am »
Hey Talsit, how much those 2nd hand used psu cost there ? Like your or Kenwoord, just ballpark number/approx. in US$ currency equivalent ?
Really curious at the Japanese market price there, especially for used ones, how bout others instruments like scope, dmm and etc ?

Mine cost me 31500 yen (http://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/convert/?Amount=31500&From=JPY&To=USD). It's in really good condition, they had 3 from the same lab, all looked like they had been used, but taken very good care off. They also had 3 others, from a different lab, but these were older, and looked like they were put on a trolley (and sometimes, they may have fallen off a trolley!). I'm quite happy with it.

This is where I bought it from: http://techno.kyohritsu.com/keisokuki/index.html
They haven't updated that page for a while, but those are the basic prices.

Btw, I'm assuming you're native Japanese, is it possible asking your help to find the Kenwood psu "service manual" like mine at the 1st post at maybe Japanese forums or mail-list ? I got the user manual already, opened it once and noticed its still using thru hole components, I guess its easy to repair, pretty please if its not troubling you too much.  :)

PS : Always felt dizy when reading google translation from Japanese -> English.  :-[

Well... you assume wrong! I just got here 2 months ago, with very very VERY little japanese skills. So it has been an interesting experience so far. But yes, I can't really help you search for that unless it's through google translate!!
// dmo @ nanibox

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf