Author Topic: Show your Multimeter!  (Read 512204 times)

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
Re: Show your Multimeter!
« Reply #925 on: June 16, 2020, 05:29:33 pm »
Nice collection!  :-+
I have a 260 also and it still faithfully accurate even after decades of use. It's the 7PM series to be exact.
The only annoying thing about these 7 and 8 series is finding compatible probes, due to these inverted banana jacks.  |O

Thanks, yeah, those evil male bananas.  :(

But, I use this female to female converter, they're dirt cheap.

Random search at AliExpress, -> HERE , no affiliation, there are many other stores have it

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #926 on: June 16, 2020, 06:59:26 pm »
That one was posted to other threads, it is the last one to join the herd:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/list-your-test-equipment-score-here!/msg2894156/#msg2894156

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg3043292/#msg3043292

This YEW Model 2440 with all its strange looks and features appears to be functional, albeit I can't say that definitely, because the working of the reference function as described in the second post is a bit strange.

I am not able to find even the slightest mention of it. Maybe a search in Japanese would turn up something. Any information pertaining to it would be very welcome.
croak.
(Link fixed)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2020, 04:42:41 am by Neomys Sapiens »

Offline barijan

• Contributor
  • An old school engineer addicted to old test gear.
« Reply #927 on: June 16, 2020, 10:53:00 pm »
Yes. These adaptors seems to be a quite acceptable solution.
I've ordered some of these already, a couple of months ago. Still waiting for delivery.
I hope it's not lost on the mail maze between China and Brazil.

Offline barijan

• Contributor
« Reply #928 on: June 16, 2020, 11:01:00 pm »
That one was posted to other threads, it is the last one to join the herd:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/list-your-test-equipment-score-here!/msg2894156

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg3043292/#msg3043292

This YEW Model 2440 with all its strange looks and features appears to be functional, albeit I can't say that definitely, because the working of the reference function as described in the second post is a bit strange.

I am not able to find even the slightest mention of it. Maybe a search in Japanese would turn up something. Any information pertaining to it would be very welcome.
croak.

Wow! It's a real unicorn.  :o
I have some Yokogawas but I had never seen one like this before!
Japanese creativity at its best, indeed!

Offline bsfeechannel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #929 on: June 19, 2020, 02:27:57 am »
These are some of my meters.

1004663-0

The Metex M-3650 has been with me for the last 32 years. Never let me down. Bought it in the Old Dart.
The Hikari HM-2090 is in fact a Victor VC97 in disguise. It is there to help the aging Metex.
The DT830B doesn't care about precision, but it is quite handy for unpretentious measurements.
The MS-9205A is an okay-ish meter for hobby. Has not failed yet, but it is not very well constructed, unfortunately.

The first two are my go-to meters. I really like them.

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza, Marco1971

Offline barijan

• Contributor
« Reply #930 on: June 19, 2020, 03:15:29 am »
The Hikari HM-2090 is in fact a Victor VC97 in disguise. It is there to help the aging Metex.

Hikari multimeter, eh?!
I think I've spotted a fellow brazilian here!  8)
Cheers!

Offline barijan

• Contributor
« Reply #931 on: June 22, 2020, 03:33:08 am »
This is my benchtop "volt-nut" toy from the early 90's.  8)
A gorgeous HAMEG HM8112-2 6½ digit multimeter. On its guts it's a PREMA 6000 from the late 80's, but Hameg renewed it with a much nicer layout and quite more friendly interface.
It's very accurate, specially after a warm-up of some minutes, and has a resolution of 100 nanovolts.
On it's top you can see a TDK-Lambda programmable power supply unit, sending precisely 1V to the Hameg's input.

I've scored this cool german multimeter at a garage sale, as a non-working unit for mere 50 bucks. Only a blown fuse replaced, one stuck button released, a thick layer of dust wiped off and now it just looks and works like new. The factory calibration still spot-on.
One curious fact is its CPU, a 6502 running at 0.82MHz, almost an Apple II.  ;D

Special features are 4-wire ohms measurement, true RMS, very precise thermometer using 4-wired PT100 probes, some built-in math programs, IEEE-GPIB interface, 1 or 10 readings per second selectable.
And, of course, that beautiful bright red 7-segment LED display. Oh boy!  ::)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 07:31:26 pm by barijan »

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza, Mortymore, Marco1971

Offline Wallace Gasiewicz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #932 on: June 24, 2020, 01:11:50 pm »
Two solid state multimeters containing natural semiconductor material.
Showing 20 volts.From power supply.
Perhaps I could use a voltage standard to calibrate them.

Wally

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #933 on: June 25, 2020, 12:18:42 am »
Two solid state multimeters containing natural semiconductor material.
Showing 20 volts.From power supply.
Perhaps I could use a voltage standard to calibrate them.

Wally
Hello,
would you care to elaborate further the statement in the first line of your post?

Offline ferdieCX

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #934 on: June 25, 2020, 12:55:56 am »
Nice collection!  :-+
I have a 260 also and it still faithfully accurate even after decades of use. It's the 7PM series to be exact.
The only annoying thing about these 7 and 8 series is finding compatible probes, due to these inverted banana jacks.  |O

Thanks, yeah, those evil male bananas.  :(

But, I use this female to female converter, they're dirt cheap.

Random search at AliExpress, -> HERE , no affiliation, there are many other stores have it

To make a good contact, the original reverse bananas from Simpson have a slot and they expand when you plug them in the VOM.
Do these adapters also make a good contact?

Offline bateau020

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #935 on: June 25, 2020, 07:52:52 am »
Here is one of my first multimeters. Probably early 80's. This one survived the years, mainly because it was stashed away, afraid to use it. No CAT rating to be found here.
1009214-0
The screwdriver probe was a welcome addition though.

The following users thanked this post: barijan

Offline Wallace Gasiewicz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #936 on: June 27, 2020, 01:30:00 pm »
OK, so the diodes are actually manufactured. Stacked diode circular wafers(or whatever they are called)

Wally

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Offline barijan

• Contributor
« Reply #937 on: June 27, 2020, 05:38:22 pm »
OK, so the diodes are actually manufactured. Stacked diode circular wafers(or whatever they are called)

Wally
Yeah, I know exactly what you mean.
I've seen some of these semiconductors as well, often used as rectifiers in old gear.
Probably copper oxide diodes or selenium diodes.
I've found some of these on old Weston and TMK multimeters also.
In fact, it can be made by hand if you have the right materials and tools.
Such diodes and rectifier bridges appeared in many shapes and sizes, but the most common looks like these on the picture below.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 05:51:06 pm by barijan »

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #938 on: July 24, 2020, 01:33:10 am »
I'm not sure anymore if I mentioned my aquisition of a TekMeter THM560. Well, if I did not, it was due to the disappointment that came up after I discovered
1. that there is a more capable THM565
2. that I am lacking the RS-232 adaptor

Both are corrected with the aquisition of a THM565 complete with RS-232 adaptor and original TEK carrying bag. Although it is lacking the battery case, which is a alternative fit in place of the RS-232 adaptor (which is also the external power adaptor). But I have a battery case from the 560.
When I switched it on and activated the backlight, I immediately was convinced that this was a good idea, because it is far easier to read than the THM560, which is lacking this feature.
Other differences are the number of memories for waveforms/line faults/setups/screenshots, a real time clock and the 'motor trigger function', which gives a stable display with PWM drives.

Tektronix has committed a uncharacteristic error in their documentation for this meter. I tried to use the THM560 at work and it behaved erratic. in one position I got a reading, in another not. Also it tried to tell me that the channel, which I was using, was not connected. In the troubleshooting section not an applicable hint. Only when you read the specification table really carefully, you encounter the sentence: Use probes incorporating 9 leaf-spring contacts only.
This explains why not any shrouded banana plug will work with this meter. Correctly, it should have read 'at least 9', because more are ok. Less might work, but not in all positions, because the jack contacts are segmented to detect presence of a plug (and maybe other functions).

Anyway, I like it. From both meters together, the probe lead kit approaches original volume and the supply options are sufficient. It takes 6 AA batteries in the battery case, so I can do without the rechargeable battery pack. With the serial adaptor, a nice and sturdy tilt stand is included which makes it much nicer to use on the bench.

Here it is, without the accessories which are still with the 560 at my workplace.
1031008-0

Here is how I found out, that it does have the RS-232 interface, which wasn't advertised.
1030992-1

Measuring a low-level AC voltage from the adjustable AC output of the Zentro 7941 power supply.
1030996-2

Measuring a 6.6kHz triangle voltage from a function generator:
1031000-3

And showing the same signal on the scope:
1031004-4

The autorange function of the scope is pretty good, it made a stable and usable display immediately. This one is a keeper, the THM560 will be sold or bartered away.
I am very much interested to compare it with the more versatile Fluke 867, when I get my hands on one. With those two and the Dodo (YEW Model 2441) the multimeter count reached 51. Should I be afraid? Lucky that I will get rid of the THM560 - then I can feel again that I do not belong to the crazy sort of people which own more than 50 multimeters. :phew: ???

Offline ogdento

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #939 on: September 02, 2020, 11:08:33 pm »
Neomys, what's in that last photo?  Maybe it's my browser but when I click on it for an expanded view I see a case containing what looks like a set of medieval torture implements??

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #940 on: September 03, 2020, 12:27:31 am »
Neomys, what's in that last photo?  Maybe it's my browser but when I click on it for an expanded view I see a case containing what looks like a set of medieval torture implements??
It is ToolPr0n of contact insertion and removal tools for (mostly) military connectors. Posted elsewhere, fell victim to the much discussed forum attachment confusion bug.

Offline ogdento

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #941 on: September 03, 2020, 01:29:09 am »
hah, well that is definitely some good smut!!

Offline jm_araujo

• Regular Contributor
Philips PM2404
« Reply #942 on: January 11, 2021, 03:39:30 pm »
As I cound't find a similar multimeter on this thread, I have to share my new aquisition! Mostly for nostalgic value, I got to use one as a teenager on the late 80's and longed for it ever since. I don't think it ever was very popular, it took me some years to find a good deal on ebay but finally it's mine!
The big analog dial is gorgeous, and that linear ohms scale  :-*

(yes, I do love analog dials ;) )
« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 03:41:25 pm by jm_araujo »

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza, bitseeker, Mortymore, Trader

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #943 on: January 11, 2021, 07:13:51 pm »
It is not that rare, but it is certainly a fine instrument. It runs in a class with some others like the Grundig analogue multimeters, HP???, and some others. A high impedance analogue MM is a fine thing, whether it is portable or a desk instrument. That 'secondary power' switch is something like a standby function?
And what is the maker of the power supply beside it and what do those switches on it do?

Offline kallek

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #944 on: January 11, 2021, 07:50:53 pm »
Very nice instrument indeed! I also like big analog dials.

My first multimeter was Fluke 175 and I really like it. When I have to measure very small currents, temperature or measure current and voltage at the same time, I pick up my manual-range Amprobe 33XR-A.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 07:52:32 pm by kallek »

Offline jm_araujo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #945 on: January 12, 2021, 10:31:09 am »
It is not that rare, but it is certainly a fine instrument. It runs in a class with some others like the Grundig analogue multimeters, HP???, and some others. A high impedance analogue MM is a fine thing, whether it is portable or a desk instrument. That 'secondary power' switch is something like a standby function?
"Secondary power" is the main power switch. I'm not exactly sure why they called "secondary", but I think it's because it switches the power from the secondary of the transformer to the meter.

And what is the maker of the power supply beside it and what do those switches on it do?
It's a Coutant LQT100, dual 30Vx1A linear power supply. Another ebay bargain, got it for less than 45€ delivered, only had a blown 1ohm/3W resistor that after replacing it's been working fine. The great thing about old gear is that service manuals are usually available, with full schematics.
I'll let a picture explain all the switches:

The following users thanked this post: Mortymore, Neomys Sapiens

Offline museumrza

• Relay virtual museum
« Reply #946 on: May 14, 2021, 11:24:42 am »
Hello
I think there have not been any multimeters produced in the USSR yet, here is one of them.
Radio amateur multimeter MR-12, produced in 1991 at the Krasnodar plant of radio measuring instruments.
Sorry for my broken English, I don't know the language, I use google translator.

nice here http://museumrza.ru/ETL/radioizmeritelnye-pribory/multimetr-radiolyubitelya-mr-12

Best regards, Nikita

1219140-01219142-11219144-2" alt="" class="bbc_img" />
Collecting relays and digital multimeters

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza, JustSquareEnough, Mortymore, Marco1971

Offline SunRiver

« Reply #947 on: August 03, 2021, 08:56:31 pm »
Here are my multimeters that I use ...

Lavo 2  analog Multimeter

and  VoltMeter V530 - 1974 year  and Voltmeter v541 - 1980 year  Poland Meratronik , and  Little Nixie Voltmeter V628

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #948 on: August 03, 2021, 09:12:28 pm »
Meratronik with Nixie-tubes ftw!  :-+  :D
I own a V540 by myself, very nice meter.
Can be seen here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg2714616/#msg2714616

« Last Edit: August 03, 2021, 09:16:01 pm by BU508A »
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, SunRiver

Offline armandine2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #949 on: August 04, 2021, 12:12:56 pm »
Fluke 73, my second DMM

but I still miss the first, a yellow 23 version which didn't survive a burglary (the scope did! with small finger prints)

Funny, the things you have the hardest time parting with are the things you need the least - Bob Dylan

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf