Author Topic: Sinclair ZX81, Timex 1000 & 1500  (Read 1835 times)

Offline Homer J SimpsonTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Sinclair ZX81, Timex 1000 & 1500
« on: May 25, 2018, 02:03:46 am »

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
Re: Sinclair ZX81, Timex 1000 & 1500
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2018, 06:05:35 pm »
No ZX80?  For shame!

Offline IanJ

• Supporter
  • Full time EE & Youtuber
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2018, 06:32:14 pm »
Back in the early 80's I borrowed a ZX81 off a pal at school (I was 16) and there it started for me........Within a year or so I had my own ZX Spectrum.

Great days!.

Ian.
Ian Johnston - Original designer of the PDVS2mini || Author of the free WinGPIB app.
Website - www.ianjohnston.com
YT Channel (electronics repairs & projects): www.youtube.com/user/IanScottJohnston, Twitter (X): https://twitter.com/IanSJohnston

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2018, 07:24:51 pm »
I can’t remember whether it was the ZX80 or ZX81 (or both) used an undocumented feature of the Z80 where the I register would appear on one half of the address bus when the auto-incrementing DRAM R (refresh) register appear on the other half.

It used this in combination with the RAM as a video buffer to address the program ROM and use it as a character generator.

I remember reverse engineering the circuit because I couldn’t figure out how they’d managed to achieve video with so little logic.

There was some tiny code run in the horizontal blanking period to manipulate the I register to go to the next scan line. During the active horizontal period the processor executed NOPs just to auto increment the R register. The only time available for the processor to do any work was during the vertical blanking period.

If you were a bit too clever, you could manipulate the I register to point to a different bit of ROM and therefore create apparently higher resolution graphics out of the random bits of stored machine code.

It was intriguing stuff!

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2018, 10:29:54 pm »
I was more familiar with the Brazilian clone TK85 :P
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/TK85
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Online newbrain

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2018, 04:24:19 pm »
I can’t remember whether it was the ZX80 or ZX81 (or both) used an undocumented feature of the Z80 where the I register would appear on one half of the address bus when the auto-incrementing DRAM R (refresh) register appear on the other half.
If an alpha particle did not flip some neurons, it was documented somewhere: so much that I used it in the written test for "Combinatorial and sequential systems" at the Uni as a crude output port using an octal type D FF clocked by the /RFRSH signal rising edge (a bit fuzzy on signal names...).
The professor did not know or remember about the "feature", and I initially got a very low score.
When I showed him the documentation -paper, of course, at the time- he took the correction graciously, and ended up being the supervisor for my master thesis.
Nandemo wa shiranai wa yo, shitteru koto dake.

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2018, 05:01:46 pm »
If an alpha particle did not flip some neurons, it was documented somewhere: so much that I used it in the written test for "Combinatorial and sequential systems" at the Uni as a crude output port using an octal type D FF clocked by the /RFRSH signal rising edge (a bit fuzzy on signal names...).
The professor did not know or remember about the "feature", and I initially got a very low score.
When I showed him the documentation -paper, of course, at the time- he took the correction graciously, and ended up being the supervisor for my master thesis.

It may have been in later years, but my discussions directly with Zilog techs at the time was that it wasn’t a supported feature. That’s not to say it wouldn’t work in 99.999% of the time!

The following users thanked this post: newbrain

Offline IanMacdonald

• Frequent Contributor
    • IWR Consultancy
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2018, 07:55:39 am »
For a while I worked opposite the Timex factory where the Sinclair computers were made. Apparently the staff were supposed to faultfind and repair any boards from the production line which didn't work. Instead, what they often did was to throw the faulty board out of the window and onto the flat roof of the building.  :-DD

When contractors eventually went up there for building repairs, a huge pile of ZX Spectrum boards was found. They were given away, and we got a few. Many turned out to be still repairable despite lying for a year or two in the Scottish weather. Of course there were no cases, just the boards.

The ZX81 used static RAM, but the Spectrum used early dynamic RAM which required a -5v rail. This was generated by a little onboard inverter. If the inverter failed your entire RAM bank drew overcurrent and fried itself.  >:D Since RAM chips were not exactly cheap in those days, that little inverter was the cause of a lot of grief. The later RAM chips did away with that arrangement.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 08:04:32 am by IanMacdonald »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf