Author Topic: Skydiver-leaps-from-plane-with-no-parachute DELIBERATELY .... and lived  (Read 10894 times)

Offline BrumbyTopic starter

• Supporter
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-07-31/us-skydiver-leaps-from-plane-with-no-parachute/7675822

https://youtu.be/aOBavry0K2E

"Pay attention to the science and the math behind this. And we'll show you what's possible," Mr Aikins said.

How good is your science and math....?

(I believe mine is OK - but I think I'll be limiting my risk to cutting some timber too short - or letting out some magic smoke.........)

Edit: Add direct YT link.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 11:53:49 pm by Brumby »

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
Re: Skydiver-leaps-from-plane-with-no-parachute
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2016, 06:41:22 am »
I would add this to the title:  "and lived"
amazing
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

• Supporter
Title changed....  :D

Offline Assafl

• Frequent Contributor
I would say experience more than science. Even then he was damn close to the edge of the top net...

Very impressive indeed.

• Supporter
Experience found the target.  Maths and science made it survivable without any(?) injury.

Offline German_EE

• Super Contributor
I can't find them right now but there are records of pilots and/or bomber crew members who fell from a great height and survived, this is bringing it up to date. When I was young and foolish I did freefall parachuting for a while but I always made sure that I had a main chute and a reserve, this is slightly on the side of crazy.
Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks.

Warren Buffett

Offline H.O

• Frequent Contributor
Slightly? I was just watching the dude on Youtube AND knew he'd make it and my heartrate was still at 150 - just as his :-)
I don't know what he's trying to proove but a great stunt for sure. What's next? Oh those adrenaline junkies.

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
I can't find them right now but there are records of pilots and/or bomber crew members who fell from a great height and survived, this is bringing it up to date. When I was young and foolish I did freefall parachuting for a while but I always made sure that I had a main chute and a reserve, this is slightly on the side of crazy.

Who needs a net:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicholas_Alkemade

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
I would say experience more than science. Even then he was damn close to the edge of the top net...

Yep, totally experience at play here.
Probably similar odds of survival as those wingsuiters who target 2m wide holes in rocks.

Do this 10 times and odds are you will eventually miscalculate.

Offline TheAmmoniacal

• Supporter
Terminal velocity in that position is about 140 km/h (~38 m/s), he seems to reach 0 km/h in about 2 seconds. That's a g-force of deceleration of about (39/2)/9.81 = 2g. Which is not a lot.

Offline Jwalling

• Supporter
  • This is work?
Crazy! Interesting effect where it looks like jet vapors coming out of their feet. I wonder what causes that?

Jay
Jay

System error. Strike any user to continue.

Offline TheAmmoniacal

• Supporter
Crazy! Interesting effect where it looks like jet vapors coming out of their feet. I wonder what causes that?

Jay

Those are smoke canisters, people skydive with those for .. the effect.

The following users thanked this post: Jwalling, Kilrah

Offline German_EE

• Super Contributor
Plus it's easier for people on the ground to track them.
Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks.

Warren Buffett

Offline TheAmmoniacal

• Supporter
Plus it's easier for people on the ground to track them.

That's probably the main reason in this case, people on the ground might be providing maneuver/navigation instructions.

Offline BradC

• Super Contributor
That wa so cool, even my wife watched it twice.

Offline German_EE

• Super Contributor
"That's probably the main reason in this case, people on the ground might be providing manoeuvr/navigation instructions."

Left a bit, back a bit.

SPLAT!!

Oooops, my bad  8)

Warren Buffett

Offline Assafl

• Frequent Contributor

Yep, totally experience at play here.
Probably similar odds of survival as those wingsuiters who target 2m wide holes in rocks.

Do this 10 times and odds are you will eventually miscalculate.

Don't have to miscalculate. Do it 10 times and eventually the wind will change mid-stunt....

As usual it is a question of level of exposure to the risk.

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
One report I read says that he planned to jump without a parachute but was forced to carry one which made the trick even more dangerous.

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
  • Pretentiously Posting Polysyllabic Prose
    • timb.us
One report I read says that he planned to jump without a parachute but was forced to carry one which made the trick even more dangerous.

I watched it live and here's the story on that:

Before he got on the plane, he was "told" that he "had" to wear one, however just before he reached the 25,000ft jump altitude, he "decided" that he "wouldn't" wear it, and jumped without. (I put those words in quotes because I find it very dubious. Who said he had to wear it? The lawyers? Who's lawyers? Stride Gum? Fox? Personally, I think it was just a bit of drama to hype the jump.)

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

Offline Jwalling

• Supporter
  • This is work?

Jay

Those are smoke canisters, people skydive with those for .. the effect.

That makes sense. I was thinking it might have been some sort of turbulence effect. :-[

Jay
Jay

System error. Strike any user to continue.

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
  • If you want more money, be more valuable.
If I did survive, my wife would kill me shortly after.

Sent from my horrible mobile....

Factory400 - the worlds smallest factory. https://www.youtube.com/c/Factory400

Offline albert22

• Regular Contributor
The linked video was removed by copyright issues, but it is still on youtube,
Although a very dangerous stunt, it is no so foolish as it looks . It seems that he jumps with 3 support guys which can assist/rescue him if he decides to abort. Assuming that the video is uncut,  the support team open their parachutes leaving Aikins by himself just 16 seconds before he hits the net. By that time Aikins should be pretty sure that will hit the net. Taking account  terminal velocity the "decision altitude" can be calculated.
IMO  he was very far from the center of the net, leaving him, what? 1/4 security margin ?

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
If I did survive, my wife would kill me shortly after.

Sent from my horrible mobile....
Or ask you to try again.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor

Who needs a net:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicholas_Alkemade

That was my father's tale as well. He was a pilot on a bombing run, flying over Lake Constance, and the last he remembered was the aircraft on fire, him telling his guys to bail out, and his parachute being on fire. Till he died he still had the massive scar on his back, and the shrapnel embedded throughout his body.

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
The linked video was removed by copyright issues, but it is still on youtube,

Here is a YT link.  OP you should change the link in your first post to this one or a better one.  When I clicked on it, I got a 4 min commercial from Arrow.com that was entertaining (dev boards).  (Google remembers my last search (on dev boards)  :-DD :-DD :-DD )

YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf