Author Topic: Skydiver-leaps-from-plane-with-no-parachute DELIBERATELY .... and lived  (Read 10896 times)

Offline Fred27

• Supporter
    • Fred's blog
He's not the first guy to jump out of a plane without a parachute. Remember this from Travis Pastrana?

https://youtu.be/KRLzvPioKG0

Offline strangersound

• Regular Contributor
  • Resistance Is Not Futile
Re: Skydiver-leaps-from-plane-with-no-parachute DELIBERATELY .... and lived
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2016, 12:32:30 am »
He's not the first guy to jump out of a plane without a parachute. Remember this from Travis Pastrana?

https://youtu.be/KRLzvPioKG0

Wonder how much Red Bull paid him for that? ;)
"I learned a long time ago that reality was much weirder than anyone's imagination." - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline SkyMaster

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2016, 02:12:31 am »
The linked video was removed by copyright issues, but it is still on youtube,
Although a very dangerous stunt, it is no so foolish as it looks . It seems that he jumps with 3 support guys which can assist/rescue him if he decides to abort. Assuming that the video is uncut,  the support team open their parachutes leaving Aikins by himself just 16 seconds before he hits the net. By that time Aikins should be pretty sure that will hit the net. Taking account  terminal velocity the "decision altitude" can be calculated.
IMO  he was very far from the center of the net, leaving him, what? 1/4 security margin ?

Hitting a bird at low altitude was probably the biggest risk, that could have sent him off target; that would have hurt  :phew:

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2016, 02:35:53 am »

...Who said he had to wear it? The lawyers? Who's lawyers? Stride Gum? Fox? Personally, I think it was just a bit of drama to hype the jump.)

IIRC, it was due to union rules. The viddeographers are not allowed to film actors that don't obey the actor guild rules or something like that.

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
  • Pretentiously Posting Polysyllabic Prose
    • timb.us
Skydiver-leaps-from-plane-with-no-parachute DELIBERATELY .... and lived
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2016, 10:46:26 am »

...Who said he had to wear it? The lawyers? Who's lawyers? Stride Gum? Fox? Personally, I think it was just a bit of drama to hype the jump.)

IIRC, it was due to union rules. The viddeographers are not allowed to film actors that don't obey the actor guild rules or something like that.

But, he's not an actor.. He's a stuntman, right?

You know, when they initially said he had to wear a parachute, I kind of lost interest, I mean, the whole reason it's interesting is precisely because he wasn't wearing one. It would be like someone tight rope walking between two skyscrapers, only he's wearing a harness clipped to a safety line, in case he falls.

Speaking of which, I wonder what sort of time delay they had the live broadcast on, incase he missed?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 10:59:42 am by timb »
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

Offline StuUK

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2016, 11:52:24 am »

You know, when they initially said he had to wear a parachute, I kind of lost interest, I mean, the whole reason it's interesting is precisely because he wasn't wearing one. It would be like someone tight rope walking between two skyscrapers, only he's wearing a harness clipped to a safety line, in case he falls.

Speaking of which, I wonder what sort of time delay they had the live broadcast on, incase he missed?

Stuntmen are still members of the SAG.

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
  • Pretentiously Posting Polysyllabic Prose
    • timb.us
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2016, 11:54:42 am »

Learn something new every day! I always assumed they had their own Union, specific to stunt people.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

Offline StuUK

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2016, 12:04:00 pm »

Learn something new every day! I always assumed they had their own Union, specific to stunt people.

No and in fact it's pretty much closed shop, you need to be a member to get work.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf