Author Topic: Slidewire Kickstarter  (Read 6058 times)

Offline ruffy91

• Regular Contributor
Re: Slidewire Kickstarter
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2019, 06:17:10 pm »
It has a wheel to lock the tap in place and enable power. So probably a cable with tight woven insulation and vampire tap which can pierce through the insulation without permanently damaging it.

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2019, 06:38:55 pm »
I still agree with others, it's too small. They also need a circuit to give power for USB and looking at the shells they show, there is no room for that either of you get decent current. It seems to be another fake it to kickstart, if they do it THEN they'll try to figure it out.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2019, 06:44:30 pm »
It has a wheel to lock the tap in place and enable power. So probably a cable with tight woven insulation and vampire tap which can pierce through the insulation without permanently damaging it.
That seems the more likely solution to me for the same reason. The locking mechanism probably has a function other than just fixing the position.

Offline fourfathom

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2019, 06:47:15 pm »
That seems the more likely solution to me for the same reason. The locking mechanism probably has a function other than just fixing the position.

Yes, that's my assumption -- the locking wheel pushes the taps into the wire.
We'll search out every place a sick, twisted, solitary misfit might run to! -- I'll start with Radio Shack.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2019, 06:49:10 pm »
I still agree with others, it's too small. They also need a circuit to give power for USB and looking at the shells they show, there is no room for that either of you get decent current. It seems to be another fake it to kickstart, if they do it THEN they'll try to figure it out.
It's just a <14K goal though. Not the number I'd go for if I were inclined to fake a campaign.

Offline Kalvin

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded SW/HW.
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2019, 06:49:52 pm »
Do not pee spill coffee on the cord.

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2019, 06:56:02 pm »

How the heck do they find the three wires inside that round cable?!
You wouldn't want to pierce the wrong one with your protective earth spike...

Offline fourfathom

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2019, 07:02:14 pm »

Looking at some of my wall-wart USB power plugs, I can see how they might be able to fit a couple of USB charging jacks inside that enclosure.

Assuming it's not a scam, and they sort-of know what they're doing!  I clicked on their kickstarter page and looked at the biographies of these guys.  It's all "entrepreneur" and "marketing", no "engineering" to be found.  Doesn't mean they aren't legit though.  Regardless, it's fun to think about *I* would design that thing.
We'll search out every place a sick, twisted, solitary misfit might run to! -- I'll start with Radio Shack.

Offline jmelson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2019, 07:06:41 pm »
Looking closely at the video it does look like one wire passing through the device as the same bump in the cord going in comes out in the same place on the other end. We don't know whether that's a working model though.
It's just a piece of plastic placed on the wire. The only way it could work in such size is piercing insulation by sharp needles. But there is no way it would pass any safety regulations. OK, maybe in Brazil, they have their death showers.
Yup, they mention the "lock wheel".  Well, it locks the outlet by piercing the cord.  Yeah, not something I'd want in my house!  See a UL, CSA or whatever certification anywhere on the thing?

Jon

Offline jmelson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2019, 07:09:20 pm »

The wire is clearly not round.  And, I'm guessing there is NO GROUND wire.

Jon

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2019, 07:16:46 pm »
If they're piercing the wire the reliability is going to be poor and you're unlikely to get much current out without melting something. Obviously the piercing needle would be very small to avoid outright shorting or destroying the wire. I'll be looking forward to seeing what happens.

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2019, 07:24:32 pm »
They say the cable is waterproof but not the slider and I think an insulation piercing that's good for 13 Amp but doesn't damage the insulation is very unlikely.

They claim to be business entrepreneurs, do they think we can't use google. :)

I think fake ATM. >:D
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 07:26:28 pm by StillTrying »
.  That took much longer than I thought it would.

Offline fourfathom

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2019, 07:25:34 pm »

The wire is clearly not round.  And, I'm guessing there is NO GROUND wire.

Jon

The outlets have a ground socket, so I assume that the cable is flat with three wires, the ground wire in the middle.  There will be three tap pins.  No doubt they will be struggling with the pin/wire alignment problem.

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2019, 07:44:34 pm »
My favorite bit from the Kickstarter page has nothing to do with the product, but with the founder:

811047-0

Hey buddy, I see where your hand is. That's "the future"?  ;)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 07:46:49 pm by ebastler »

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2019, 07:46:13 pm »
My favorite bit from the Kickstarter page has nothing to do with the product, but with the founder:
(Attachment Link)

That is his future.

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2019, 07:58:16 pm »

:-DD

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2019, 08:46:38 pm »
Could their magic sauce be some self sealing material like some potting compounds are?

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2019, 08:59:31 pm »
The outlets have a ground socket, so I assume that the cable is flat with three wires, the ground wire in the middle.  There will be three tap pins.  No doubt they will be struggling with the pin/wire alignment problem.

If this is how it's supposed to work, definitely. I didn't notice the cable was kind of flat at first sight, but it looks flat indeed on second look... But yes, it would be perfectly safe, no doubt. ;D
The "secret sauce" is probably just the cable sheath with a bit of 'self-healing' characteristics. I don't think I'd want this shit in my house.

Offline LeoTech

• Regular Contributor
  • High School student with a passion for electronics
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2019, 01:17:35 pm »
Just wondering, is it by any means possible to access some online database of safety regulations and certificates issued, to verify legitimate companies and products?

If this is possible, wouldn't it "just" be a matter of finding said certification for their product....and maybe that would reveal whether it is fake or not.

Such a database would actually be pretty neat, it would probably prevent a lot of scams.

Leo

High School student with a passion and interest in electronics, both analog and digital!

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2019, 02:10:04 pm »
Just wondering, is it by any means possible to access some online database of safety regulations and certificates issued, to verify legitimate companies and products?

If this is possible, wouldn't it "just" be a matter of finding said certification for their product....and maybe that would reveal whether it is fake or not.

Such a database would actually be pretty neat, it would probably prevent a lot of scams.

Leo
At this stage they don't need to be certified yet.

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2019, 02:17:11 pm »
So how does this thing work? My guess is that it doesn't, despite the "secret sauce" claims:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/taylorware/slidewire-electricity-where-you-need-it?fbclid=IwAR3dZWcj6f9gymh3XCkmibI5n9u7lYp38EJ4wi1VegM_ApuCwR8Gae1Y5FU

A solution for a problem that doesn't exists, if it's not fake...

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2019, 08:50:06 am »
They've reached their goal.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/taylorware/slidewire-electricity-where-you-need-it
Our Patent Pending *Secret Sauce*

We had to create a connection to the power wires inside the sealed, shielded cable and keep the cord in safe working condition. Also having no sign of the connection ever happening. This was the biggest challenge we overcame when creating SlideWire.
    The design of the cord and the materials used keeps your SlideWire cord sealed and safe! No matter how many times you move your Slider outlets the wires inside are safe and sound. So slide away!
    After accomplishing this we knew we had a very exciting opportunity on our hands.

SlideWire will have the well-respected UL Certification and CSA Approval.

The amount of material between you and the copper wire inside is almost 4x thicker than standard power cords that are on the market today. Then we wrapped the cord giving even more protection and a sleek look.
    ·SlideWire is more than safe, we exceed all of the safety guidelines required by UL and CSA.
     With SlideWire having so much extra protection surrounding the copper wires, it has a significantly smaller chance causing damage or fire then a traditional extension cord.

I'll believe it when I see it. :)

Offline ogden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2019, 10:23:46 am »
I'll believe it when I see it. :)

Look here: https://youtu.be/ujkN2CR1tgs?t=108

Strange lamp that becomes lit ~1 sec after switch activation, but only first time. On second try lamp for some strange reason have nearly instant reaction time. After that you start to think why carpet, why pillows on the floor, why he plugged phone charger not in the second slider but non-sliding end of the cable :D

[edit] Also he does not say I will show prototype, but "proof of concept" instead ;)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 10:30:11 am by ogden »

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49 on: March 02, 2020, 05:21:48 pm »
I've not been able to find any UL standards for mains cables with holes in the insulation. >:D

I thought I'd have a look to see how they were getting on after 6 months...

"There is literately nothing in the current UL list standards they can use with SlideWire; there has never been a product to accomplish what I created. At this point in the certification process, roughly 90% of products die, but because of how much the UL innovation team (which is roughly 25 people) love SlideWire... They tried to squeeze it through the cracks. However, SlideWire will have to go through the very special and expensive process of creating a new standard set for the new technology. Though this is extremely exciting, it can take up to 12 - 14 months and will cost me about $100K."

www.kickstarter.com/projects/taylorware/slidewire-electricity-where-you-need-it/posts

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf