Author Topic: So what's going on with Windows-10, and why do we ('I') hate it ????  (Read 10247 times)

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
Re: So what's going on with Windows-10, and why do we ('I') hate it ????
« Reply #75 on: February 26, 2018, 12:27:53 am »
I just bought a 100$ Cherry MX Green keyboard. I love my tactile feedback.

I have an IBM clicky keyboard on my core i7 desktop. I've used that same keyboard since I built a fancy new 386 running DOS5 and Win 3.1, and it was old already when I got it. Every several years I pop off all the keycaps and run them though the ultrasonic cleaner.

I've had several newer keyboards wear out in other machines in that time, the printing wore completely off all the commonly used keys. The IBM keycaps had the printing molded in.

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #76 on: February 26, 2018, 12:35:56 am »
Here's the keyboard: https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=2739

The keys are double shot cast, so the letters won't ever just rub off. The MX green is the 80 cN (80 gram-force approx.) heavy version of the clicky MX blue. I thought about getting a buckling spring keyboard, and maybe some day I might, but I wanted MX greens right now.

I haven't gotten it yet, I am suffering with a cheap Chinese rubber dome keyboard atm.
I forget who I am sometimes, but then I remember that it's probably not worth remembering.
EEVBlog IRC Admin - Join us on irc.austnet.org #eevblog

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #77 on: February 26, 2018, 04:46:33 am »
That reminds me, I must get around to finding a better clicky 10keyless keyboard. The one I'm using (Poseidon ZX) has very poor key legend permanency. The A & S symbols are just blobs now. Also the key switches are intermittent on a few keys.
Sure wish there was an IBM clicky keyboard in the short format. I had a full size one, but it died. Also was too wide for ergonomic comfort.

On a different topic, are there any psychologists here? Now and then, on any forum, one sees a poster with an unusual excess of all-caps, single quote qualifiers, brackets, and long series of exclamation marks and ellipses. It always seems to be associated with a certain type of thinking, but it's hard to describe. OP provides some fine examples in this thread, and also in the locked https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/knights-of-the-round-table-today-!!!!!/
People who write like that don't seem to be aware of it. Is there a name for this syndrome? I know one person with histrionic personality disorder, but they don't write like that.
I don't want to derail the thread or embarrass OP, so please PM me if you have a relevant search term or link. I'm just curious.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline amspire

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78 on: February 26, 2018, 04:56:48 am »
Sure wish there was an IBM clicky keyboard in the short format. I had a full size one, but it died. Also was too wide for ergonomic comfort.
Have you checked out the Unicomp keyboards? They are the ones who bought the IBM/Lexmark technology.

https://www.pckeyboard.com

They are not all as big as the IBM M Type.

They are always going to be bigger and heavier then any modern compact keyboard.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 05:04:00 am by amspire »

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #79 on: February 26, 2018, 07:05:26 am »
That reminds me, I must get around to finding a better clicky 10keyless keyboard. The one I'm using (Poseidon ZX) has very poor key legend permanency. The A & S symbols are just blobs now. Also the key switches are intermittent on a few keys.

On a different topic, are there any psychologists here? Now and then, on any forum, one sees a poster with an unusual excess of all-caps, single quote qualifiers, brackets, and long series of exclamation marks and ellipses. It always seems to be associated with a certain type of thinking, but it's hard to describe. OP provides some fine examples in this thread, and also in the locked https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/knights-of-the-round-table-today-!!!!!/
People who write like that don't seem to be aware of it. Is there a name for this syndrome? I know one person with histrionic personality disorder, but they don't write like that.
I don't want to derail the thread or embarrass OP, so please PM me if you have a relevant search term or link. I'm just curious.

There many 10-keyless Cherry MX boards. I recommend blues, as my decision to go for greens is widely considered to be an insane one, I just like heavy keys.

As for the latter, I'm not a professional, or even trained, but I'd be damned if I haven't pondered the intricacies of life, so I guess that doesn't make me qualified, but I don't give a shatner.
This seems to be from people who get too caught up in what they are typing, almost like the computer version of being in love with your own voice. Sometimes people are just illiterate
dumbarses, sometimes people may also just be socially challenged through no fault of their own as well.

To think the worst of someone is to be smart, and to think the best of someone is to be polite. I didn't read much of that post, but I got the general idea from a quick skim, and I honestly punish myself enough on Twitter to be bringing that sort of existential depression into my life here. It's possible he's just trying to be funny.

To me, I think I would bank on him being a bit caught up in his own words, but I think the sort of attitude you're talking about could just be a common trait of those with social disorders.
I forget who I am sometimes, but then I remember that it's probably not worth remembering.
EEVBlog IRC Admin - Join us on irc.austnet.org #eevblog

Offline John Coloccia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80 on: February 27, 2018, 03:26:50 am »

I have a Unicomp like was suggested. It's NOTHING like the old IBM model M. It's lightweight and flimsy. Keys are mushy, not crisp. I've seen one that's a couple of years old and some keys just don't work anymore, and the ones that do feel like crap. They're inexpensive, but I wish they had the option of paying a bit more and getting better quality. I don't regret purchasing it, but I wouldn't buy another, to be very honest.

For work, I now use a Topre RealForce tenkeyless. I got mine at 55g. I like heavier keys. My all time favorite keyboard was my old OmniKey 102. I finally wore it out, which actually isn't too difficult to do with the old Alps switches. Matias makes a copy of the "simplified" Alps, but I tried one of their keyboards and it was a complete turd. Keys that don't register, other keys that register multiple keystrokes. Read the reviews and you'll see it's a common issue. If they ever fix their garbage switch I'll be first in line to buy.

Until then I think we're stuck with Cherries, unless you find a vintage Alps in great shape. If you want an inexpensive TKL, Ducky makes a very nice keyboard. It's what I use at home. For less then $100, you get a basic keyboard, built heavy and sturdy, with double shot PBT keycaps. I've recommended them several times and everyone has been very happy.

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81 on: February 27, 2018, 03:58:02 am »
My latest hate for Windows 10 is after the most recent update I'm having trouble installing applications. It's Windows Defender I am sure.

Notably I found LTspice XVII taking forever to start, so I uninstalled it and then found it impossible to re-install. I went through the registry deleting all LTspice keys, and did the regsvr32 /u on it's DLL's. I cleared the .ini file it places in /user/AppData/...

I changed the install drive to C:\ etc. I installed it as Administrator. I launched it as Administrator, nothing would work.

I then switched off all Windows 10 virus bollocks and re-installed it. Finally it runs!!! But it still takes over 1.5 minutes to start, and I have used Sysinternals Procmon.exe to see what's going on - literally nothing. It just sits there no disk, net, CPU, anything activity for up to 2 minutes before it actually starts.

Ok. more recently I decide to install Fusion 360 to see what it's all about.

Signed up, application downloads and installs but as soon as it gets to 99% it bombs out with an error. There is nothing about this error (-2147024894, 'The system cannot find the file specified.', (None, None, None, 0, None)) online. I re-install again as Administrator, same again. I try all kinds and send a log to Autodesk. I then go and try my Windows Defender settings, disable "Controlled folder access" and it only fucking installs just fine!

Fusion now works. LTspice works but I have to wait 2 minutes for it to start, and it also takes 2 minutes to unload after I close it. All this bollocks since mandatory Windows 10 updates.

Offline metrologist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82 on: February 27, 2018, 04:08:33 am »
So now photoshop and illustrator are broken, and I'm getting slide-out notifications to log into the Ms store; access services with you MS account; one account many services xbox blah blah... I want none of that. All my notification settings are already in the off position. More and more, MS sole reason to exist is to merely exist. I send them feedback about the problems.

Offline Bassman59

• Super Contributor
  • Yes, I do this for a living
« Reply #83 on: February 27, 2018, 04:23:34 am »
Have you checked out the Unicomp keyboards? They are the ones who bought the IBM/Lexmark technology.

https://www.pckeyboard.com

I have one. I love it. My co-workers hate it. The click-click-click drives them nuts.

Of course the daily "DID YOU SEE THE GAME!!!" interruptions are far, far worse. Although they've been somewhat quieted, now that the football coach was shitcanned for basically running his program like a frat house, and the basketball coach was just caught on tape offering to give a $100,000 bribe to a recruit.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline orin

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #84 on: February 27, 2018, 05:58:17 am »
My latest hate for Windows 10 is after the most recent update I'm having trouble installing applications. It's Windows Defender I am sure.

Notably I found LTspice XVII taking forever to start, so I uninstalled it and then found it impossible to re-install. I went through the registry deleting all LTspice keys, and did the regsvr32 /u on it's DLL's. I cleared the .ini file it places in /user/AppData/...

I changed the install drive to C:\ etc. I installed it as Administrator. I launched it as Administrator, nothing would work.

I then switched off all Windows 10 virus bollocks and re-installed it. Finally it runs!!! But it still takes over 1.5 minutes to start, and I have used Sysinternals Procmon.exe to see what's going on - literally nothing. It just sits there no disk, net, CPU, anything activity for up to 2 minutes before it actually starts.

Ok. more recently I decide to install Fusion 360 to see what it's all about.

Signed up, application downloads and installs but as soon as it gets to 99% it bombs out with an error. There is nothing about this error (-2147024894, 'The system cannot find the file specified.', (None, None, None, 0, None)) online. I re-install again as Administrator, same again. I try all kinds and send a log to Autodesk. I then go and try my Windows Defender settings, disable "Controlled folder access" and it only fucking installs just fine!

Fusion now works. LTspice works but I have to wait 2 minutes for it to start, and it also takes 2 minutes to unload after I close it. All this bollocks since mandatory Windows 10 updates.

Somewhat unlikely that' it's Defender.  I have had trouble with Kaspersky leaving an application installing updates forever on OSX however.

Whenever I've had troubles with apps taking a long time to start, it's been something in the PATH environment variable that has a folder that no longer exists.  So the first thing I'd check is that all folders on the path exist (and aren't on a network drive).

But in this case, perhaps it's a network problem.  I know LTspice calls home to check for updates as it keeps telling me that there is an update available.  It could be a DNS lookup that's taking forever, or it's calling home on a port that is now being blocked by the firewall and you are seeing TCP/IP connect timeouts - which tend to be rather long (I always do 'connect's asynchronously with a short timeout for this reason).

You should be able to see blocked packets in event viewer.  Download and run 'Wireshark' to monitor DNS requests.

Edit re -2147024894: Try searching for 0x80070002 instead (the 32bit hex equivalent).  The 0002 part is indeed the WIN32 ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND error code.  The 8007 just means it's been converted to an HRESULT (and as such doesn't really mean much, only that some function that returns an HRESULT got a WIN32 error and had to convert it).
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 06:13:12 am by orin »

Offline peteb2

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #85 on: February 27, 2018, 02:46:58 pm »
Microsoft's various renditions of OS has pretty much been the norm for me and the job i do where 99.9% of the time the clients or servers boot up into the specific complex application package leaving Windows off to the side and essentially ignored. Many of the systems continue to stipulate Win 7, (never Win 10) only but slowly i am seeing new products (software) arriving that have been written around all kinds of advantages in having a specified Linux OS over the version that runs under Windows. It becomes a no-brainer to shift to a Linux OS (which says i really need to do some self learning)...

Interestingly i experienced a shocker of gotcha with a Windows 10 'wrinkle'....

I have a Surface Pro 3 not doing much so thought i could set it up in my home Lab as my main LAB PC. With the newer Pro 4 dock 4K res can be extracted for a second screen. Great i thought for looking at schematics, making engineering CAD or even KiCAD PCB design etc. I found the unit for a great price and had it delivered to my work and had brought along my SP3 so in a spare moment and the boss not watching i soon had things working. 4K on a 2nd big screen i borrowed for the moment certainly looked the business. Then i attached Ethernet lead for the LAN and accessed the Internet... everything worked and i took the whole lot home that evening (minus a monitor which i still need to buy).

Things turned bad at home however. Under Win 10 for whatever reason i could not create another Workgroup and join my Home Network of my home LAN. Rebooting the SP3 it ignored anything i set up and kept trying for the one that had Auto installed and named from work earlier in the day. It actually would work for ten or so minutes in that the machine was able to reach the Internet but then up popped the yellow triangle on the lower left Network Icon....

|O I tried everything and did a few searches but in the end the only way was to run up Regedit and drill down into Registry for the Network Profiles and delete the one auto-made when on the LAN at my work....  A re-plugging of the RJ45 and up popped my Home LAN and everything was perfect...

It's at this point i start to ask what is going on with what is the very backbone of a computer when crazy stuff like this TIME VAMPIRE setup issue comes along? Windows anything before 10 never gave me this kind of stupid hassle. It might be a one off, i do not know but it's saying to me that as Microsoft produce increasingly bloated up OS's like the monster Win 10 is that in our Industry Area of hands-on technical, engineering, electronics it's now not the sort of thing we need to be using on our PCs....
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 02:50:31 pm by peteb2 »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf