Author Topic: So who is deleting their LinkedIn?  (Read 8591 times)

Offline BMKTopic starter

• Contributor
So who is deleting their LinkedIn?
« on: June 13, 2016, 09:51:21 pm »
I don't know why, I'm no anti Microsoft zealot but I'm itching to delete my account. They sold us for £175 each.

Offline Yansi

• Super Contributor
  • STM32, STM8, AVR, 8051
Re: So who is deleting their LinkedIn?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2016, 09:53:47 pm »
Well.... what? have I missed something?

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2016, 09:54:31 pm »
Knowing Microsoft they'll manage so sink LinkedIn in no time like they always do with companies they acquire!
I'm going to dust of my PHP and database books to start a new professional network site to replace LinkedIn.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline BMKTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2016, 10:00:00 pm »
Would be cool if somebody made a distributed/decentralised/self hosted alternative to all the social media networks. Microsoft haven't bought much more than thin air.

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2016, 10:29:32 pm »
I would need to create one first.  Never saw the point of it.

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2016, 11:35:52 pm »
Already deleted it, couple of years ago. LinkedIn became waaaaay too creepy in figuring out others I might know and want to link to.

Others may find this useful: http://justdelete.me/

For those who missed the news, google: microsoft buys linkedin
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2016, 12:26:25 am »
I created one once, but never really go on it all that much.  May very well just delete it. 

Offline photon

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2016, 12:45:38 am »
I don't know why, I'm no anti Microsoft zealot but I'm itching to delete my account. They sold us for £175 each.
That seems very cheap to me. Cannot help but think Microsoft, for once, made a good acquisition.

Offline DimitriP

• Super Contributor
  • "Best practices" are best not practiced.© Dimitri
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2016, 01:05:17 am »
Would be cool if somebody made a distributed/decentralised/self hosted alternative to all the social media networks. Microsoft haven't bought much more than thin air.

You mean like a mailing list ?
   If three 100  Ohm resistors are connected in parallel, and in series with a 200 Ohm resistor, how many resistors do you have? 

Offline AntiProtonBoy

• Frequent Contributor
  • I think I passed the Voight-Kampff test.
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2016, 01:09:14 am »
I "deleted" mine about 2 years after it first launched. I still kept getting spam emails from LinkedIn. Turns out the account was still there, despite the fact that I wanted to remove the account. Took several attempts to nuke it.  >:(

Offline sakhmatd

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2016, 01:12:53 am »
I never had one to begin with, the spam I got in my mailbox from people I "know" asking me to join backfired in making me swear that I'll never join.

Expect LinkedIn to crash and burn under M$ dis-management, I suppose.

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Offline klunkerbus

• Supporter
  • Electrical Engineer (retired early)
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2016, 01:14:11 am »
That seems very cheap to me. Cannot help but think Microsoft, for once, made a good acquisition.

For a total of $26 Billion USD?  And at twice the market value for LinkedIn shares? Seriously?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 01:17:28 am by klunkerbus »

Offline shawnb

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2016, 01:38:55 am »
I'm not worried about my LinkedIn data... if it becomes half as convoluted and unusable as Microsoft's partner portal, all my personal data is as a good as gone anyway. 

I bet they will try to merge the LinkedIn data into a giant public Yammer site... and half the users will quit over the course of a disastrous year as MS works out the bugs, and most of the rest will quit when it becomes like a Facebook for business and people realize that they really don't want to get that social-y with random business contacts.

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2016, 01:45:53 am »
I only know LinkedIn as something I need to block from my email box to cut down on spam. Do many people seriously use it?

Offline steve30

• Frequent Contributor
    • Stephen Coates' Homepage
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2016, 03:35:11 am »
I only know LinkedIn as something I need to block from my email box to cut down on spam. Do many people seriously use it?

I don't have an account, but I do get their spam. I do, however, use it to snoop on people. Sometimes a Google search for a particular person will bring up their LinkedIn page, and I can find out their employment history and qualifications >:D.

Offline batteksystem

• Regular Contributor
    • My ebay store
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2016, 03:47:14 am »

I use it. Honestly I am quite active in it, but I feel that more and more features had become premium. For example, I used to know who visit me before but now I need to pay to know it.

Offline gertux

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2016, 04:27:52 am »
I "deleted" mine about 2 years after it first launched. I still kept getting spam emails from LinkedIn. Turns out the account was still there, despite the fact that I wanted to remove the account. Took several attempts to nuke it.  >:(
I deleted my LinkedIn account more than 5 years ago but still recieven messages from people who want to connect.
Pretty anoying, so how did you nuke it eventually ?

Offline bitwelder

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2016, 04:36:29 am »
I use it. Honestly I am quite active in it, but I feel that more and more features had become premium. For example, I used to know who visit me before but now I need to pay to know it.
Perhaps now that they got an influx of fresh cash they can stop pushing for paid premium.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2016, 04:36:41 am »

About US$250 per active user. $60 if you count every dormant account.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2016, 04:37:51 am »
Perhaps now that they got an influx of fresh cash they can stop pushing for paid premium.

Why would they do that?
AFAIK that's LinkedIn's main revenue stream. You don't buy a $26B asset and then just give away the main revenue stream from it.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2016, 04:41:00 am »

For a total of $26 Billion USD?  And at twice the market value for LinkedIn shares? Seriously?
It is the forward earnings potential as a percentage of the price that determines the value. The price as a number in isolation is not how value is established. Of course the market price is someone elses determination of value. Who's right?  Microsoft evidently think they can extract greater value. Time will tell.

They only made $71M in profit on $710M in revenue in a quarter in 2015
Much of it tax havened I'm sure.

Offline boffin

• Supporter
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2016, 05:12:47 am »
Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella was trying to delete his LinkedIn account and accidentally bought the company

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2016, 05:48:29 am »
Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella was trying to delete his LinkedIn account and accidentally bought the company
:-DD :-DD

Though seriously, isn't anyone else wondering about possible connections between Microsoft buying LinkedIn, and Microsoft's objectives as revealed in Windows 10 and their pushing hard to force every PC in the world to run it?

I doubt Microsoft's profit calculations involved LinkedIn in isolation, or were even entirely economics-based.

Put it this way. The company that wants to know everything about what you do on your PC, what software you use, what media you possess, everything you type and every web site you visit, and is happy to attempt *forcing* you to submit to this oversight, just bought the company that tries to know everything about your career and connections to friends and associates.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline ivaylo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2016, 06:10:21 am »
LinkedIn is a good tool if you know how to use it (got my last two jobs with it, recruited a bunch of people too). MS are hopeless with newer technologies, so doubt they'll do anything useful with it, see what they did with Skype...

Offline Kilrah

• Supporter
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2016, 06:41:30 am »
I deleted my LinkedIn account more than 5 years ago but still recieven messages from people who want to connect.
Pretty anoying, so how did you nuke it eventually ?

You will get those even if you never had an account. They come from people who link their contact list with Linkedin and "invite" their "friends" to use it.
There is a link at the bottom of the email to disable further contacts to that address.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf