Author Topic: how to upload pictures bigger than 2MB on eevblog  (Read 14483 times)

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
Re: how to upload pictures bigger than 2MB on eevblog
« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2017, 01:32:12 am »
how to upload pictures bigger than 2MB on eevblog

Preferably don't, would you believe the vast majority in the would don't have a 100Mb/s unlimited bandwidth per month internet connection.
.  That took much longer than I thought it would.

Offline mariush

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51 on: January 09, 2017, 01:54:32 am »
a bit off topic but ... A simple trick to make the texts on chips readable ... lick your finger (make it wet) and put the finger over the chips.

back on topic ... I made quite good pictures with my Canon A580 on a tiny tripod, a 2-3 second timer and macro mode and optional, if there's no good light, flash

Here's an example of such an image, an old Trendnet 5 port ethernet router with usb printer server (picture opened from backups, crop and save to 80% quality jpeg, you can check exif information if you don't believe me).. this one was done without tripod, with a bit of care so that the flash won't reflect on heatsink
I could resize it to 1920x something and everything would still be quite readable, and the image size would be probably less than 200-250 KB

« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 02:00:53 am by mariush »

The following users thanked this post: jonovid

Offline lordvader88Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2017, 06:39:44 am »
well I have a have cheap digital camera, 4-5 years old at least, and it took sharp pictures of stuff I have, and the pictures are like 2-5 MB

I hope to find the ansewers in here somewhere, but way too much to read now

Online Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53 on: January 09, 2017, 07:21:47 am »
If you are a Windows user, and don't have an $expen$ive$ photo editing package that you are very comfortable using, IrfanView is your friend.  It lets you easily crop and reduce resolution, and also has the option to auto-adjust quality to limit the JPEG file size.  You can also do batch conversions of multiple files that all need the same processing steps (i.e. take a folder full of pre-cropped images and auto-adjust resolution and file size to create a forum-ready version of each), and there is also a command line addon if you need to script it.

well I have a have cheap digital camera, 4-5 years old at least, and it took sharp pictures of stuff I have, and the pictures are like 2-5 MB
Odds are, cropping, halving the resolution and setting IrfanView to limit the file size to 500K will produce acceptable results for photos.

For computer generated line-art (e.g. schematics, plots etc.), maintaining full resolution but cropping to the area of interest and reducing the colour depth to 8bpp (256 colour) or 4bpp (16 colour), then saving as a GIF or PNG, generally produces an acceptable file size while maintaining quality.  NEVER use JPEG for schematics - the compression speckles the background and blurs fine detail!

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54 on: January 09, 2017, 08:25:42 am »
On Windows easiest one is :

http://www.bricelam.net/ImageResizer/

It is based on old Windows XP Image resizer Power Toy... Right click on image, resize, done...

Cheers.

Offline slicendice

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #55 on: January 09, 2017, 09:33:42 am »

This if what I uploaded a while ago. Already compressed. Was uploaded quiet a time ago, IIRC imgur compressed big files so I uploaded already downscaled. This in below 2 MB but still cannot be uploaded to eevblog. Still there is serious quality degradation which prevents reading some of the part numbers.

The problem with that image is really bad lighting, all light comes from the left side. This is an unfocused capture, probably because of small lens, because some parts are quite sharp.

You need a good MACRO lens and proper lighting for good closeup photos with high level of detail.

I don't know what camera was used but if it was a mobile camera, then don't expect any good photos from that distance. 2 things that affect the photo quality are, bad/small lens and on the fly compression.

Just one small thing to think about. Why does high quality professional lenses cost thousands of dollars? Is it just marketing or is there something else behind the price?

All the component codes/values on the PCB are readable though for this particular image.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #56 on: January 09, 2017, 09:38:37 am »

You said that before. The answer is simple and is everywhere in this thread - it isn't difficult to find!

You have a choice: let your readers think you are considering them and doing the best to help them, or let them think you care more about your time than their time. Your choice!

There's an old proverb: "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink".
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 09:41:21 am by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #57 on: January 09, 2017, 09:43:07 am »
With the combined # of posts from the very experienced members totaling many tens of thousands and that they've bothered to have taken the time to offer you solutions we collectively hope you can be troubled to absorb the top quality advice.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #58 on: January 09, 2017, 10:02:15 am »

This if what I uploaded a while ago. Already compressed. Was uploaded quiet a time ago, IIRC imgur compressed big files so I uploaded already downscaled. This in below 2 MB but still cannot be uploaded to eevblog. Still there is serious quality degradation which prevents reading some of the part numbers.

The problem with that image is really bad lighting, all light comes from the left side. This is an unfocused capture, probably because of small lens, because some parts are quite sharp.
Yes, lighting wasn't good. But original image has significantly better quality. Lens is not small, exactly opposite, which causes shallow depth of field (aperture was set too large too). It is difficult to keep all of the board in best focus at close distance. Also good luck taking a photo of the board that size with a phone and keep readable markings on all of the 0603 resistors. And then talk about bad focus. Original pic also had about 30% larger size (this is cropped). And yes it wasn't a good photo/example. But I would not disassemble scope again to retake it.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 10:21:17 am by wraper »

Online T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #59 on: January 09, 2017, 11:06:45 am »
Would not call it satisfactory as I cannot read even a single part number.

Most of the SMTs are unidentifiable anyway, but also I haven't released the schematic yet, so it's not intended as a reverse engineering exercise. :)

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf