Author Topic: Social media - I just can’t...  (Read 6429 times)

Offline Fred27

• Supporter
    • Fred's blog
Re: Social media - I just can’t...
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2018, 08:41:04 am »
I've got a confession and a bit of an apology for you. Some friends and I started all this by creating the first ever social network back in early 2000 - the long gone UK based everyonesconnected.com. You're possibly not going to believe me, but it's true.

I can't be bothered with stuff like Facebook either. Initially they were the competition (well Friendster, MySpace first). Now I just think there's more to lose than gain from it all.

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2018, 12:47:48 pm »
... Some friends and I started all this by creating the first ever social network back in early 2000 ...

Here we see yet another solid proof that time travel does not and never will exist. You are still alive.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline tpowell1830

• Frequent Contributor
  • Peacefully retired from industry, active in life
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2018, 01:48:28 pm »
... Some friends and I started all this by creating the first ever social network back in early 2000 ...

Here we see yet another solid proof that time travel does not and never will exist. You are still alive.

And yet, we are all time-travelers, only in one direction forward in normal time.  :blah: :blah: :blah:

I refuse to get a facebook or other social media account other than forums like this. The quality of users is much higher (for the most part) here. Also forums tend to be specific areas of interest.

Just my 2 cents...
PEACE===>T

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2018, 04:10:21 pm »
I used to use Facebook but I abandoned it years ago when all my friends started having kids and suddenly my feed was clogged with kid pictures and discussions that are not of interest to me. Also they kept changing the UI around and filtering the posts such that it became less and less useful to me. These days I view it as just a waste of time.

Offline steve30

• Frequent Contributor
    • Stephen Coates' Homepage
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2018, 05:34:09 pm »
What's the difference between this "Social Media" we have now and the "Social Networking" that we had 10 years ago? Are they the same thing just with different names?

Offline German_EE

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2018, 05:54:14 pm »
I don't do Facebook, Twitter, Myspace or any of the other social media sites because I consider them a waste of time. As for phones, I have a dumb phone that makes and receives calls and sends and receives text messages because that's all I want it to do.

It's similar to the UNIX way of doing things, one tool to do one job. This is why I have a phone, an iPod, a camera and a GPS. If one of them breaks then I don't lose the functionality of the others whilst it's being repaired or replaced. I also avoid the problem of Facebook and Google tracking my every move.
Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks.

Warren Buffett

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2018, 06:13:58 pm »
You're not alone (reply to first post, didn't read the rest yet).

I've tried a bit on these mobile devices, and found them pretty inefficient to use. Anyway, I don't even know for what exact reason I should use one of these devices, so I don't use one, and I don't feel I'm missing something.

GF has a smartphone and I can hear her cursing a lot about the thing, mostly user experience related. Sometimes I have a look at it: Most web pages (no matter if optimized for mobile or not) are confusing or distracting or spitting ads into your face. Apps appear to be somewhat more useable, but the user interface is often laggy and doesn't provide useful feedback on your actions. I've tried to read books on a Tolino, but was very disappointed by having to move my fingers in strange ways just to turn the page, and you don't get instant feedback if your movement was right or just caused something else that you don't want to happen. I want real (clicking) buttons to turn the page.

So these things really do not provide anything that would attract me, and I'm fine with not using one. In the history of computing (yes, I've seen all the ZX81 and C64 stuff in "real time"), there were many improvements in user interface, but also several steps back: one of them beeing todays mobile devices, another the 16:9 screen format and mirror displays - I don't use my computer screen to watch movies, 16:9 and pitch black is fine for the TV, but no good on a computer.

To stay on the original topic: What is all that facegramlinkedxing stuff? Never seen (OK, that's a lie, GF uses Whatsapp, so I've seen that at least), never missed anything of that. Had a linkedin account that I deleted when M$ took over linkedin (did they really, never bothered about it?), but that was pretty useless anyway, so nothing lost, but gained instead: No more annoying mails from them.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 06:22:09 pm by capt bullshot »
Safety devices hinder evolution

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2018, 10:15:50 pm »
I have a standalone GPS, camera, laptop, e-reader, music player, etc which each offer advantages over a smatphone however, the smartphone is always on me so I don't have to think about which gadgets I should bring along. If I know I'm going somewhere that might not have adequate cell service then I'll bring the standalone gadgets but otherwise convenience wins out. I actually almost never talk on the phone, I use my smartphone primarily for text messaging, email and the camera. I had a flip phone for years but these days there's no real advantage, the service is actually cheaper on the smartphone and nearly all the basic feature phones and plans are aimed at senior citizens.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2018, 06:55:34 am »
What's the difference between this "Social Media" we have now and the "Social Networking" that we had 10 years ago? Are they the same thing just with different names?
I think social networking was focussed on your social group and its interactions, while social media assume the role of more traditional media and extend outside of your own social group.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2018, 06:59:35 am »
I don't do Facebook, Twitter, Myspace or any of the other social media sites because I consider them a waste of time. As for phones, I have a dumb phone that makes and receives calls and sends and receives text messages because that's all I want it to do.

It's similar to the UNIX way of doing things, one tool to do one job. This is why I have a phone, an iPod, a camera and a GPS. If one of them breaks then I don't lose the functionality of the others whilst it's being repaired or replaced. I also avoid the problem of Facebook and Google tracking my every move.
No, you don't. That's one of the problems of the data giants. They track people whether they use their services or not. Mark Zuckerberg refused to answer questions about non Facebook members being tracked twice when questioned by the EU parliament. If yo have a wifi network, Google knows about it. If you visit a website with a Facebook pixel which is most of the websites around, Facebook knows about it. You need to go through excruciating lengths to avoid ending up in the nets of the big players and it's exceedingly likely you will anyway.

Offline A Hellene

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2018, 01:18:47 pm »
Some FACTS regarding Facebook:

"Users are ‘dumb fucks’ for trusting data to Facebook."
--Mark Zuckerberg, Facebook CEO

CIA's (including every other spying agency's) wet dream:

Verbatim: "After years of secretly monitoring the public, we were astounded so many people would willingly publicize where they live, their religious and political views, an alphabetized list of all their friends, personal emails addresses, phone numbers, hundreds of photos of themselves, and even status updates about what they were doing moment to moment. It is truly a dream come true for the CIA."
--Christopher Stratinsky, Deputy CIA Director

Now, regarding that most carefully coined phrase, which advocates total submission, the infamous 'I have nothing to hide, so I don't care if they are spying on me,' all I will have to say is that it shares the same exactly mentality of the following one: 'I enjoy making love, so I do not care if they are raping me'...

Even though these Social Abominations are truly beneficial for the Corporate World (whatever this entity could really be), they also are extremely hostile for human beings since the former ones advocate detachment from reality --especially to the younger ones that have not yet developed character solidity, personal defenses and critical thinking. We can see everywhere that, when this damned thing rings or beeps the planet freezes for the majority of those poor and clueless victims (of any physical age) of this 'technology that brings you together and makes you friends by the thousands'...

-George
Hi! This is George; and I am three and a half years old!
(This was one of my latest realisations, now in my early fifties!...)

Offline vinicius.jlantunes

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2018, 02:37:29 pm »
I find it amusing (while easily predictable) that the responses to this post are increasing in terms of "intensity of despise" (for lack of a better term).

(NOTE: no judgement, just find it amusing and am having a giggle)

First level: yeah buddy, I too don't like social networks
Second level: yeah buddy, I too don't like it and will tell you more, smart phones also annoy me
Third level: yeah buddy, to be honest even "dumb" phones are a thing from hell!

(potential next level, not yet achieved)
Fourth level: yeah buddy - I only use smoke signals and only for calling ambulances or some real emergency!

:-DD

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2018, 03:34:07 pm »
Yes how i could miss it - calling ambulance  via facebook.   :palm:
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

The following users thanked this post: bingo600

Online bingo600

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2018, 06:34:55 pm »
I'm not on FB  :--
And never will be .

Prefer to decide when/what to share my self.

Actually quite annoying that even or "State Radio/TV" announces  ...... "Read more" on FB.

/Bingo

Offline German_EE

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2018, 06:52:19 pm »
One other thing, have you seen what all of the social networks are doing to people? I take regular train journeys and the people around me are all staring into their little black slabs instead of talking to each other. Tonight I watched a family of four get out of their car, parents and two young girls, within seconds of exiting the vehicle the mobile phones were out of the pockets and the girls were walking along without looking where they were going.

We're turning into a race of zombies, all linked together using electronic tethers :palm:
Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks.

Warren Buffett

Offline JohnnyMalaria

• Super Contributor
    • Enlighten Scientific LLC
« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2018, 07:41:50 pm »
I take regular train journeys and the people around me are all staring into their little black slabs instead of talking to each other. Tonight

It hasn't changed that much:

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2018, 09:20:05 pm »
One other thing, have you seen what all of the social networks are doing to people? I take regular train journeys and the people around me are all staring into their little black slabs instead of talking to each other. Tonight I watched a family of four get out of their car, parents and two young girls, within seconds of exiting the vehicle the mobile phones were out of the pockets and the girls were walking along without looking where they were going.

We're turning into a race of zombies, all linked together using electronic tethers :palm:
That honestly wasn't any different before. People minded their own business or were busy staring at their new fangled book or newspaper. Pretending we engaged in random conversations with total strangers is a somewhat ridiculous romantic fantasy.

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2018, 10:11:01 pm »
I don't use social media at all.  I only participate in problem-solving discussions.

Or, should I say, I should only participate in problem-solving discussions, because every single time I participate in anything more social than problem-solving, like the recent discussion on tool warranties here, no matter how I try, the net result always ends up negative.  Some information, yes, but mostly just depressing garbage.

All I know is that it is not productive or interesting for me to participate in social media, so I avoid it as best I can.

Offline JohnnyMalaria

• Super Contributor
    • Enlighten Scientific LLC
« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2018, 10:21:04 pm »
so I avoid it as best I can.

So that's antisocial media!  ;D

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2018, 10:38:31 pm »
So that's antisocial media!  ;D
Nah, it's just me being antisocial that way. (Funnily enough, I find social interaction in real life much, much easier, and way more interesting, too.)

I can definitely still contribute a lot of positive stuff, I just cannot do it in the "social media" context.  Indeed, the reason why I use a pseudonym, is simply to make it easier for myself to dissociate my person (personality? social self?) from my work product; I actually developed this approach as a coping mechanism almost a decade ago.

If the common workplace becomes an extension of the social media type of interaction, I will not be able to contribute or participate. (It has been suggested to me, that a personal assistant or secretary to handle that side of things, might make it much easier for me to market my skills and produce results, too.)

I wonder if some others avoid social media for a similar reason?  I am aware of quite a few professionals, who have basically stopped reading news, because so much of it is pure social manipulation and opinion shaping, with so little factual information, that it is becoming more of a burden than a resource.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 10:40:39 pm by Nominal Animal »

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2018, 12:19:41 am »
That honestly wasn't any different before. People minded their own business or were busy staring at their new fangled book or newspaper. Pretending we engaged in random conversations with total strangers is a somewhat ridiculous romantic fantasy.

Honestly I like it better this way anyway. If someone is absorbed in their phone I don't have to try to engage them in mindless smalltalk to avoid sitting there in awkward silence. I occasionally get out my phone and find something to do on it just so the a stranger sitting next to me won't try to drag me into a conversation if I'm not in the mood.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf