Author Topic: Software to draw up wiring for a collection of PCBs based on images  (Read 520 times)

Offline 741Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
    • Circuit & PCB Design (small PCB quantities OK)
I've been asked to combine a kind of bitmap image of a 'system hookup' with some PCBs and bits of dodgy Veroboard plus a bunch of IDC connectors. It's hard to document it sensibly.

To guide me, I'd like to be able to place an image of a board on a canvas, and connect handles at fairly arbitrary positions (it would be fine if the image had to fit into a rectangle, and it'd be OK if I could only attach to the edges).

From these handles then I'd like to drag out things like dashed lines with labels and so forth - thereby showing wires etc. Basically the aim is to rough-up an approximation of the assembly but not in a formal schematic sense. It would be possible to do it in KiCad, but it'd take me too long and maybe not give the type of result I'm after just now.

Any suggestions for likely software that would run on Windows? There was something called DIA I seem to recall.

Offline djsb

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Software to draw up wiring for a collection of PCBs based on images
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2023, 08:12:23 pm »
I've seen a few people use Fritzing for this kind of thing

https://fritzing.org/

Not sure if you can import photo's into Fritzing though.

Or just import images into paint (or similar) and annotate the photo's using the drawing tools for a very basic layout.
David
Hertfordshire,UK
University Electronics Technician, London PIC,CCS C,Arduino,Kicad, Altium Designer,LPKF S103,S62 Operator, Electronics instructor. Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Credited Kicad French to English translator.

The following users thanked this post: 741

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
Re: Software to draw up wiring for a collection of PCBs based on images
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2023, 01:16:13 pm »
From these handles then I'd like to drag out things like dashed lines with labels and so forth - thereby showing wires etc. Basically the aim is to rough-up an approximation of the assembly but not in a formal schematic sense. It would be possible to do it in KiCad, but it'd take me too long and maybe not give the type of result I'm after just now.
Try draw.io

I use that for block diagrams, wiring diagrams, etc.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf