Author Topic: Some food for thought  (Read 17958 times)

Offline Kiriakos-GR

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • User is banned.
    • Honda AX-1 rebuild
Re: Some food for thought
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2010, 10:24:10 pm »
Who's the B inside a triangle?

I would do some guessing here ..

As  "A Class" devices , called the ones for use in Military & Hospitals.  
The B"  marking  should stand for " B Class" device ( general use )  

Offline gobblegobbleTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2010, 08:59:34 pm »
I would do some guessing here ..

I'd rather not. UL does not stand for "UnLimited class" meaning appropriate to use anywhere either.

Besides, I'm quite sure I've seen the stamp somewhere. Just can't recall who it was for the death of me. ???

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2010, 10:53:45 pm »
UL: Underwriters Laboratories
B in the inverted triangle: Polish safety mark, e.g. granted by PCBC (Polish Centre for Testing and Certification)

Or in short, Kiriakos-GR is once again just talking out of his arse.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 10:55:46 pm by BoredAtWork »
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Offline .o:0|O|0:o.

• Regular Contributor
  • Where is Higgs Boson?
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2010, 12:33:50 am »
Thanks, Neilm, but isn't CE simply a mark of conformance with EU directives as attested by the manufacturer, not necessarily one of testing, like TUV?

I wouldn't be surprised if the device has a CE on it that will fail UL or TUV testing, if not outright made counterfeit as in the China Export mark.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CE_mark#Confusing_CE_marks

http://www.webcitation.org/5rHyRoXb2

But, for my statement in particular, many Asian markets are fair game for sales of devices with no UL, CSA or CE or TUV marks.

Thanks gobble^2.   It can take a while to get through UL bureaucracy for final approval, and the vendor may want to get the product out before then, say to at least markets not covered by UL, CSA or the EU equivalent.

If the vendor puts the product on the market in the EU without it meeting the requirements they can be prosecuted. The EU safety requirements (CE mark) are a legal prerequisite for sale.

BTW – in a previous life I did safety testing and I have seen some horrible examples. The worst was a voltage probe as in Kiriakos-GR post. I applied the transient and the hand probe exploded. Every chip inside was damaged, and the main chip inside it was blown completely off the board. I'm also sure I saw some fire out of it. Needless to say we decided not to sell it. I must not that I have seen these things pass the best test we could give it. (8kV on 600V)

Neil

Regarding the use of the "CE" mark on low quality Chinese imports, ...it has sometimes been applied to mean "Chinese Export" or "China Export". I thought this was a joke at first, but apparently not: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CE_mark#China_Export

So the next time you are handling a product with CE stamped on it, if it looks and feels cheap and nasty, then it stands for "China Export"!

.o:0|O|0:o.

Offline PetrosA

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2010, 02:54:50 am »
BoredAtWork is correct - the B mark is Znak Bezpieczenstwa and is similar to UL in the sense that in order to display it, the product must undergo testing. In Poland you can't sell tools without it.
I miss my home I miss my porch, porch

Offline gobblegobbleTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2010, 10:03:27 pm »
Thanks for clearing that up, shame there isn't a collective list about all the approval markings.

About the "incorrectly spaced CE mark" I call BS: the Fluke pictured is first I came across when I checked few items for CE mark, and few others whom I'm sure do bear as genuine as possible CE mark but have it spaced too tightly. Probably the legend about "China Export" took momentum on the fact that counterfeiters aren't too faithful on details: you can often spot a fake UL or fake TÜV mark by incorrect bits here and there. Doesn't prevent people for falling it though.

Edit: Not to mention manufacturers "helping" with all their own icons. I bought recently a Samsung external DVD drive which had a 'Eco-mark'. In case you bother to actually check it's purpose you'll learn it's "Samsung's own Eco mark that helps consumers to easily understand that Samsung develops eco-friendly products." -WHAT??
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 10:22:49 pm by gobblegobble »

Offline Kiriakos-GR

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • User is banned.
    • Honda AX-1 rebuild
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2010, 10:18:31 pm »
UL: Underwriters Laboratories
B in the inverted triangle: Polish safety mark, e.g. granted by PCBC (Polish Centre for Testing and Certification)

Or in short, Kiriakos-GR is once again just talking out of his arse.

I bet that this asshole needs an final ban from this place ...  

I do not take that shit, from any low life piece of shit ...  

gobblegobble @
You are acting like a health inspector ....  its stupid to comment others , for just gaining post counts.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 10:20:44 pm by Kiriakos-GR »

alm

« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2010, 10:31:00 pm »
I bet that this asshole needs an final ban from this place ...  

I do not take that shit, from any low life piece of shit ...  

Kiriakos,
Having a fun weekend?

Just stick to the facts, he may be wrong, I haven't actually checked. If he is right, accepting that you were wrong looks much more adult.

Offline Kiriakos-GR

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • User is banned.
    • Honda AX-1 rebuild
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2010, 11:06:29 pm »
Kiriakos,
Having a fun weekend?

Plenty ..   and I will not stick anywhere ... 
This silly avatar , had insult me repeatedly  , I wish to see him banned for good. 

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2010, 12:23:50 am »
just look at the nick Kiri... "Bored At Work" means "Firing at People Arse Hole" and now he got you in the weekend.  :D no offense Bored.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2010, 02:07:43 am »
Oops, just remembered this thread. My UEi meter has a UL stamp on the front face, opposite side to the CE logo.
So I guess my meter has an upgraded design that has been UL tested and certified?

Dave.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf