Author Topic: Spider Music - Web Sonification  (Read 416 times)

Offline DrGTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • !
Spider Music - Web Sonification
« on: April 15, 2021, 04:08:40 pm »

This is kind of entertaining - of course they could have arranged the sonification parameters to maximize the "creepiness" of the result :)

I once sonified (?) results from a data logger using some canned program...it was kind of cool and I could hear differences resulting from cloudy days and so on. I remember this TED talk where she made a pretty good case for data sonification on a personal level.

https://www.ted.com/talks/wanda_diaz_merced_how_a_blind_astronomer_found_a_way_to_hear_the_stars?language=en

In fact, didn't data sonification gain some notoriety long ago with genetic music https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protein_music

I always wanted to hear my own unique song but never managed that...much to the delight of musicians everywhere I imagine  ;D
- Invest in science - it pays big dividends. -

Offline Tomorokoshi

• Super Contributor
Re: Spider Music - Web Sonification
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2021, 04:18:46 pm »
Years ago I used sonification of the data output to a CRT raster to track down some kind of synchronization problem. I can still hear it now!

The following users thanked this post: I wanted a rude username

Offline Tomorokoshi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2021, 04:24:21 pm »
Today I listen in to pulse stream data to a PID control with an AT&T Executone speaker.

Offline JohnnyMalaria

• Super Contributor
    • Enlighten Scientific LLC
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2021, 05:23:35 pm »
I "listen" to the random motion of particles in liquids based on the fluctuation in intensity of light scattered by them. I can tell the difference between, say, 10nm and 200nm particles.  I can also "hear" when a giant piece of dust floats by. Very useful if I'm not watching the signal.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf