Author Topic: Spotted another "solar roadway" clone: Platio  (Read 462 times)

Offline DG2MMTTopic starter

Spotted another "solar roadway" clone: Platio
« on: May 04, 2020, 11:49:21 am »
I don't know why, but the idea refuses to die…
http://platiosolar.com/
Solar pavement. On their start page one can see highly glossy solar cells on the ground.
Looks like an accident waiting to happen when they get wet like when it rains…

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
Re: Spotted another "solar roadway" clone: Platio
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2020, 12:38:30 pm »
Well, at least they are not targetting roadways here, but relatively limited areas on pavements.
Could still be a bit unsafe for people walking (when it's wet), and probably not worth it in terms of ROI, but it's not nearly as bad as solar roadways.

Offline jogri

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2020, 12:55:19 pm »
The website of the german distributor has a lot of amusing infos, i'll just quote how they want to enhance the friction:

For the glass cover of the solar powered version, we can offer different types of slip protection depending on the customer's requirements. It is possible to create different ribbed shapes and patterns. Alternatively, Al2O3 can be applied and burned into the surface, which offers permanent slip protection. Due to its basic physical properties, this substance can generate sufficient friction in both wet and dry weather. If the above two methods are not feasible, a special transparent hydrophobic polymer can be applied to the glass, creating a hydrophobic layer that prevents water films from forming between the sole of the shoe or the car tire and the glass, resulting in a non-slip surface .

Cause roughing up the surface was always a good idea... But hey, at least they are somewhat realistic and only claim ~170 W peak per m2, but that's probably still way too optimistic.

They also say that the impact strength is 200N/m2, whatever that is supposed to mean.

Offline SerieZ

• Regular Contributor
  • Zap!
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2020, 01:31:50 pm »
Not as bad as solar Roadway... are we already in the bargaining phase with those Charlatans?

Sounds maybe harsh but I do think at least SOME research is warranted before companies like this get a grant by elected Officials payed for with the Money of Mrs. and Mr. Taxpayer.
As easy as paint by number.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf