Author Topic: Starting up a new online app tech company, where to locate?  (Read 5368 times)

Offline JohnnyMalaria

• Super Contributor
    • Enlighten Scientific LLC
Re: Starting up a new online app tech company, where to locate?
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2018, 02:20:40 am »
I would have to import my food though, and/or open a small restaurant to my needs.  When I first invited my partner Jeff and his wife to Montreal, they freaked out at how good the food tasted...

It's changed, especially downtown Durham. Once a southern pretender to Detroit (no-one would set foot there), it's now an amazing cultural center with all kinds of restaurants, music venues etc . Durham is also now the home of Moogfest.

Offline Koen

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2018, 11:02:13 am »
What do the investors recommend ?

Offline BrianHGTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2018, 11:38:13 am »
What do the investors recommend ?
You can bet I will be maneuvered after I present my first 2 solutions.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2018, 11:53:14 am »
Research Triangle Park, NC

The triangle is defined by three major universities, Duke, UNC and NC State, so there's a large pool of very bright and talented young things.

That's a good suggestion. If you want engineering "intern" talent then that could be a deal breaker for them. They likely already live on campus.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2018, 11:57:26 am »
Because of what I need done, no matter what I do, I will need a minimum staff since a major portion of the work is directly related to man/hours just to get me off the ground, however, luckily, this bulk of employees is lower paying roles.

Sounds like uni student territory. That suggestion about locating near a university(s) is worth consideration.

The following users thanked this post: BrianHG

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2018, 12:05:57 pm »
Because of what I need done, no matter what I do, I will need a minimum staff since a major portion of the work is directly related to man/hours just to get me off the ground, however, luckily, this bulk of employees is lower paying roles.

Sounds like uni student territory. That suggestion about locating near a university(s) is worth consideration.
You are exactly correct, I will have a team of 40 interns after year one.  I will keep the top 5 for full employment the next 1.5 to 2.5 years after the bulk work is done.

Because of Montreal's layout & density and public transit system, if I were to locate downtown, my interns would be within around 3 metro stops of at least 3 universities, 3 colleges and many numerous technical institute schools in hardware, software, music, arts.  My problem is that there is a language barrier as I will be operating in English and except for software development who basically are usually bilingual, the other sectors have a limit on their English abilities.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 01:31:01 pm by BrianHG »

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2018, 12:45:43 pm »
Some universities have space for startups. This may be worth looking into as well.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

The following users thanked this post: BrianHG

Offline BillB

• Supporter
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2018, 01:22:11 pm »
NCSU is a strong engineering school, and have dumped a ton of money into their Centennial Campus "Innovation Hub"

https://centennial.ncsu.edu/centennial/springboard.php

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2018, 07:01:09 pm »
My problem is that there is a language barrier ....

Now I understand why you want to move.

The World Economic Forum just released their 25 most high tech cities in the world. Three Canadian cities below made the cut: Montreal was #18, Vancouver #14 and Toronto, of course, is #9.

from

http://www.planetweb.ca/news/3-canadian-cities-among-25-high-tech-cities-world/

FYI  when I said "be kind" and locate near mass transit,  I meant for your employees not you  :-DD

LA has good mass transit (and will get better with the Olympics), you just have to do your homework in finding a central location.

YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2018, 09:33:31 pm »
My problem is that there is a language barrier ....

Now I understand why you want to move.

The World Economic Forum just released their 25 most high tech cities in the world. Three Canadian cities below made the cut: Montreal was #18, Vancouver #14 and Toronto, of course, is #9.
This is why I must leave Montreal, Quebec.:
http://www.planetweb.ca/news/not-available-quebec-class-action-suit-vs-spotify-amazon-etc/

Toronto is a valid location to open my business.

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2018, 09:45:32 pm »
http://www.planetweb.ca/news/not-available-quebec-class-action-suit-vs-spotify-amazon-etc/

Now I double understand.  :-+  Before I thought you were nuts.   :-DD
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline Bicurico

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2018, 10:05:32 pm »
Please take no offense in what I am going to write next.
I feel bad for writing it, but I thought I should honestly tell you what crossed my mind when I read the following statements:

"Ok, say I have enough money, 8 figures usd, and I want to create a new company" --> that's US$10.000.000
"the company will begin with around 25 full time employees plus around 25 interns" --> that's around US$1.250.000/year in salaries (considering really low wages)
"I only expect to begin to generate revenue 5-6years in." --> in 6 years you have spent 7.500.000 in salaries (not considering other operative costs like: accounts, rent, cars, travel, energy, computers, etc.)
"This is a long haul project and I've budgeted for 10 years before generating a profit." --> optimistically, from your own data, you will run out of cash on year 6 - how will you carry on until year 10?
" 'Is it your own money, or investors?That makes a big difference.' - Both, but, there are requirements which I must adhere to." --> I am not sure about your investors, the requirements and if your are fully aware of what you are gtting into

So what I am I thinking?

1) No way you plan an IT project 6 years before you can show "the product". Not having profit is one thing (think Amazon or Facebook), a different story is spending up to US$10.000.000 in 6 years, without having a product.
2) You said you are giving the software away for free - "the product", I would guess is paid premium service (or whatever). All of this needs MARKETING. Do you have an idea how expensive marketing is? I would dare to say that your 8 digit budget is not enough to start a propper online advertising campain to get enough followers.
3) You said your service depends on existing music streaming services (like Apple). If you have a clever idea, even if it is patented, at the end of the day, you depend on others? Hopefully I got that wrong.

A break here: are you really sure about your business?

And now the final bomb:

If you came to me with a brilliant idea and convinced me as an investor to loan you money to make this idea go real, I would STOP AND GET OUT at the moment I knew you would ask in a blog like EEVBlog where you should base the headquarters!

If you don't know, get someone who does know. Do your homework, study all pro's and con's, but don't trust any forum opinions (including mine). If people on forums would know the right answer on how to setup and run a busines, these people wouldn't be on forums - they would be business consultants!

Anyway, forgive me if this contribution felt harsh or negative. The intention is good and I want you to make sure you know what you are getting into. Anyway, I wish you all the success!

Regards,
Vitor
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 10:10:09 pm by Bicurico »

Offline Bassman59

• Super Contributor
  • Yes, I do this for a living
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2018, 10:11:43 pm »
It has always kind of surprised me that so many tech companies headquarter in the most absurdly expensive areas. Yeah there's a pool of qualified workers, but surely a company could open a branch in some heavily depressed region where housing is dirt cheap and lure loads of people out to wherever that is, paying a salary that affords them a very good standard of living while still being much cheaper than the current tech hubs. Some place like Detroit could just about be revitalized if a couple of established tech firms opened an office there. Plenty of people, especially younger folks are willing to relocate.

That idea always sounds appealing, and I think Detroit specifically is one of the cities actually benefitting from such efforts. (I was there on tour last summer, and spoke to a few friends who live there, and they are all really excited about what is going in there, despite the best efforts of the state politicos to squash things.)

Other areas that we might consider to be ideal for such terraforming have too many strikes against them.

Ideally, you need a well-regarded Land Grant or other research university in the city. The university acts as a hub. Students are available as interns, graduates (especially in-state students) need local jobs, there are partnerships available between the university and local businesses, etc etc. University areas also tend to have the sort of cultural attractions (rock clubs, museums, symphony halls, good restaurants, etc) that many people want. But there is and has been for a some time this trend of state governments defunding their public universities. Rising tuition makes college less affordable, and students are wary of taking on significant debt.

Even if a person considering a move to a new city doesn't have children, the quality of the schools in that city and state are important. If there's the perception that the schools aren't any good, no matter what kind of tax incentives a city or state may offer to potential employers, the employees cross that city off the list. This is especially true of the high-skill/high-education engineering talent that these cities are trying to attract.

And finally, I think that many professionals look at the number of potential employers in a given area when considering a relocation. Nobody will move to come work for you if you are the only game in town. If you close up shop, what do your employees do? Engineers want another engineering job, and if none are available, that's not good.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2018, 10:26:15 pm »
@Bicurico, you are severely underestimating the amount of fund I have at my disposal.  My product is demonstrable within 1 year, ready for release by year 2, & has a 2 year free demonstration period for each user.  (This means 4 years without seeing a penny in revenue.)  The patents and sophistication and initial input investment is scaled such that no one in their right mind would be able to compete with that 2 year free trial period as they too would need to do that previous 2 years of work, and once I'm established, it will be too late for any competition anyways & I'll sue them for patent infringement as well.  For the majority of my users, an approximate 15-30 year subscription per client is expected, well worth the free 2 year trial period to lock them into the addiction.

As for HQ, I only asked here as a feeler.  My homework isn't finished.  I will be getting access to experienced knowledge.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 10:57:08 pm by BrianHG »

Offline Bassman59

• Super Contributor
  • Yes, I do this for a living
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2018, 10:27:21 pm »

Crux of biscuit: "Basically that means that companies are not allowed to give you free trial and then automatically convert you into a paying customer - that is against the law in Quebec. Quebec wants the world to respect their authority or else."

I do not see anything wrong with the requirement stated in the first sentence. Too many companies take advantage of consumers by using the free trial period and hoping that the user doesn't cancel the service. Maybe the customer realizes a couple of months later, after seeing a credit card bill, "oh, I subscribed to this? I don't want this!" and they cancel it, but that service now charged for two months that the customer may not have even used. Maybe the customer is the type that looks at a detailed credit card bill only once a year and goes, "Oh, shit, I'm subscribed to THAT?"

Put another way, I don't see why the onus should be on the consumer to have to cancel a service. The service provider should have to tell the customer, "Your free trial expires in 15 days. If you would like to continue, click here. Your credit card will be charged $9.95 per month. If you do not wish to continue your subscription, no response is required. You will not be able to access the service after XX/YY/ZZZZ."

Yes, we all know that people are busy and don't pay strict attention to all of the services for which they sign up, but that doesn't mean that corporations should be able to take advantage of their customers.

Let me put this in terms every EEVBlog reader will understand. Autodesk offers new EAGLE users a 90-day free trial subscription, after which time the customer will be charged $15 per month. Autodesk won't inform their new users that their credit cards will be charged, it'll just happen. What do you think the response of this community will be to that practice?

As for the second sentence, "Quebec wants the world to respect their authority or else," that's editorializing horseshit. What the Province is saying is that, "If you wish to do business with citizens of Quebec, you must abide by our consumer protection laws. Where your corporation is domiciled is irrelevant."

I honestly don't understand why some people think that consumer protection is a bad idea. Consumer protection agencies and laws exist because corporations have been caught screwing over customers. And it's obvious that there are many corporations who see no problem with such practices, and there's no way that they're going to police themselves.

Please, tell us the name of your new app/service, so we can be fully informed consumers.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2018, 10:35:54 pm »
@Bassman59, I am all for fair and open policies for my apps and services & I am all for consumer protection.  Quebec has a habit of doing weird attacks and restrictions to large worldwide consumer products, not just what was written in the link I attached, just because they don't have a proper french version available.  If a fundamental function of my app/service works specifically with Spotify, and Spotify does something new the Quebec government doesn't like and gets further restrictions locally, my business may be F---ed.  I cannot risk that.  Anywhere else in Canada is safe from this BS.

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2018, 11:01:31 pm »
"Ok, say I have enough money, 8 figures usd, and I want to create a new company" --> that's US$10.000.000

Could be US $ 99,999,999   so if we send him $1 then he could write 9 figures.   My guess is 99 million is a good start.   My bet he is talking 50 million ?

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2018, 03:23:40 am »
Having been on both ends of this problem, make sure that wherever you pick has good air travel connections.  Evaluate frequency of flights and directness of flights to your destinations (presumably Bay Area and LA) and COST.   Some otherwise attractive locations have airfares 2-5 times those of more favored locations.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf