Author Topic: State Of Electronics Documentary  (Read 15218 times)

Online EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
State Of Electronics Documentary
« on: September 21, 2015, 03:52:05 am »
http://www.stateofelectronics.com/
I'll update this post as Karl releases the videos:

« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 12:21:08 pm by EEVblog »

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
Re: State Of Electronics Documentary
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 06:36:49 am »
Cool series. Thanks, Dave. Looking forward to the next episodes.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 07:56:50 am »
Another part added. Won't embed for some reason

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2015, 06:23:32 am »
New video added!

Offline SteveLy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2015, 06:43:36 am »
Nice one. Thanks Dave!

Offline rickselectricalprojects

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2015, 05:53:34 am »
cant wait till the next one :-+

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 10:06:08 am »
Another two episodes!

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2015, 12:27:58 pm »
Part 2 of the magazines is now up

Offline nuno

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2015, 12:52:10 pm »
I do enjoy the content, very nice work. If you can you hint Karl at lowering the background music volume that would be a big plus :)

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2015, 12:21:21 pm »
Two more videos up!

Offline GK

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2015, 12:55:39 pm »
Jesus! I hadn't watched any of these until now. The psychological effect is not entirely unlike enduring an episode of Sponge Bob Square Pants. I now feel like I need ADHD medication. 3 episodes later and I've been informed of practically nothing at all!   
Bzzzzt. No longer care, over this forum shit.........ZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Offline SteveLy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2015, 03:50:54 pm »
The creator of this series needs to understand that the content is what matters: the people in front of the camera and what they have to say. It's not about him, his production values/shortcomings, youtube ratings etc. If the film maker really believes in what they are doing then they will just put it out there and let the body of work speak for itself.

[This post is more a response to youtube comment by the author threatening to pull the plug than to any other posts on this thread.]
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 04:01:52 pm by SteveLy »

Offline GK

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2015, 09:32:47 pm »
just put it out there

That's what I was thinking given that the series I started viewing was based on "several years of researching, interviewing and filming".

The fundamental problem with the filmmakers approach, as far as I see it, is that it appears that his primary concern is to make something that is emotionally engaging rather than something that is simply interesting and informative. (hence the complained-about interminable and repetitive music intended to hypnotize, amongst other things).

« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 02:42:34 am by GK »

Offline SteveLy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2015, 06:57:28 am »
@GK: I very much disagree about this series is not being "informative" enough, with your spongebob comments and your guesses at the film maker's intentions. The content is great, the people interviewed are great, what they have to say is great: there is a lot of good history and inspiration there. There is some good cutting edge science too, like in the surface science lab "Silanna" episode.

I'd love to just see the interviews raw, one by one.

Offline GK

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2015, 08:19:43 am »
I watched the magazine episodes and the "hunters and collectors" one. The crazy editing was the cause of my Sponge Bob comment (genuinely the first parallel that popped into my head); editing which I might add you declared "quite maddening" in that other thread about this video series. But if you insist that we "very much disagree" on all points then OK then, I'm not one to argue.

The subject material may be great, but I still I didn't find those 3 episodes particularly informative, and I don't think that's an unfair criticism. I haven't watched any other episodes yet as I'm on a limited monthly download quota.

Offline digitalhack

« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2015, 10:31:29 am »
For a while I have let comments be and just sit back and enjoy the fruits of my labour. However tonight I felt like saying something, something in my own defence.

I make these episodes free for you to watch on YouTube. They took me 5 years to complete - five very long years of negotiating, working with people to organise copyright, access, attribution, 100's of hours of editing time, acquiring images, documentation, meeting people, telling people, trying to get help from anyone ... anyone at ALL ... so that I could interview, investigate and play fair with their image, their PERSONAL image .... all while I am trying to earn a living as a commercial film director. NO ONE IN THE WORLD has attempted TO TELL YOUR STORY like this! That's because you have not taken the notice of anyone except me. The process is in fact STILL continuing. So why do you condemn a project like this?? OK we all have differences in opinion when it comes to creative style, editing pace, music choice and the like but for heavens sake, you shoot down the only person who takes an interest?? I find your review of my work completely arrogant and immature. Your pathetic appraisal and criticism is so far removed from your expertise that it is embarrassing! I don't tell you to use a 1/4 watt 22 ohm resistor, mandatory in your work so why tell me to go look at other filmmakers work to learn some sort of lesson @GK?? In answer to your query, the editing pace is set by what people say, and the music choice is governed by what I can access for FREE on YouTube. No music is BORING!! Its as simple as that. The combined voice of the many (as apposed to the voice of only a few, is a far more powerful approach in my opinion however I will release longer uncut version if the interviewees agree to it - mostly the will NOT - that is not up to me). I haven't and will not inject myself into the series as some sort of "expert". I find this comment utterly disgraceful: "It's not about him, his production values/shortcomings, youtube ratings etc" says @SteveLy. Firstly when have I ever made myself out to be all important?? .... my production values and ... what short comings?? Perhaps you care to elaborate?? YouTube ratings???... well I think well all know how poor they are so I fail to see the point. That's a direct reflection on all of us did you know!

If your not keeping up then go switch the channel or maybe take a look at my profile first! I suggest an alternative approach:

Be kind. Be supportive. Be fair. Be understanding that this project exists because I am the only one paying for it. I am an enthusiast with a passion for electronics. Be aware that I will stop at any point that I see fit. Be supportive of my work in the future if you would like to see any of it AT ALL! Do I make myself clear? I had always intended this to be a documentary - a longer project where the content would be more relaxed. However, the edits I showed people were condemned for being too slow, too niche and too indulgent to be of any commercial concern. So you can see my predicament here. I took it to the world using every commercial avenue available to me. So far, that's been a tough road. I had hoped to use YouTube and bloggers like Dave to help get this project off the ground. People are looking at the comments (important people) and what they see are YOUR comments! So you are unfortunately my biggest problem now. Between trolls, vindictive comments on omissions (on my NO budget it is impossible to interview everybody), demands on style (YOUR comments) and all sorts of other insanely stupid stuff (racism), the real market research, YOU are killing any chance of this project from EVER making it! Do you understand??

To the EEVBlopg community. Please support the project. It is an important project which deserves a chance. Right now I have a largely tepid response. Far too tepid to take to market. I need your support on YouTube by Subscribing to the channel, watching the episodes when you can and hitting that "Like" button. If you have a genuine complaint or comment with regard to style, manner or tone, or any other genuine concern, I am big enough to take it on the chin but don't let that be your ONLY comment. Be supportive, contribute, and help construct the ultimate geek experience in the future. Importantly, we need to change the future, help governments and organisations realise the importance of education, invite new people to the field, create dreams, and understand our desire to innovate and make something. I want to make this documentary. Your support is fundamental to its success. Thank you for your time.

Karl von Moller

Offline crispy_tofu

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2015, 10:40:35 am »
Don't get me wrong, we appreciate the effort placed into making these videos and we are sharing it everywhere.  Thanks! :-+

Offline Towger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2015, 10:56:20 am »
I had always intended this to be a documentary - a longer project where the content would be more relaxed. However, the edits I showed people were condemned for being too slow, too niche and too indulgent to be of any commercial concern.

What audience do you intend the documentary to be for?

Who are the people who condemned the edits as being too slow?

The problem is the general population has no little or no interest in electronics in general, its history and the people behind it. So, is it true to say you changed the editing to 'Sponge Bob' style?  Which after all has been documented as reducing the intelligence of children, for a limited time after watching it.

The audience here on the other hand have a deep interest in electronics. They are more than happy to watch a single shot and largely unedited interview which a person of note in the electronics world. Some of the best electronics podcast interviews are life stories, several hours long and make riveting listening.

In any event I hope you keep up the work and maybe takes some of the feedback on board.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 10:58:22 am by Towger »

Offline SteveLy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2015, 11:04:14 am »
I find this comment utterly disgraceful: "It's not about him, his production values/shortcomings, youtube ratings etc" says @SteveLy. Firstly when have I ever made myself out to be all important?? .... my production values and ... what short comings?? Perhaps you care to elaborate?? YouTube ratings???...
My above comment was in response to this youtube comment by you (I presume):

State of Electronics
Wow completely unacceptable!
100 likes and 1000 subscribers by next week or I guarantee you I won't post anything more!

« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 11:10:09 am by SteveLy »

Offline digitalhack

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2015, 11:39:19 am »
I have never responded! Tonight I let my guard down! I'm not in the business of arguing or debating. 100 likes or 1000 subscribers is a goal I need to attain and I might add I have failed! So despite that I still put forward another episode! Why do you even question what audience?? Surely any audience is good right?? Who are you to intermediate anyway?? I ask this because you are directly challenging me now. You presume far too much about the general population "the general population has no little or no interest in electronics in general" - thats an incredibly arrogant thing to say! Instead of presuming, just take it on the chin and accept that it's a challenge. Progress from there. Inform people without hindering them. What you are doing is committing people to think there is no choice when there is. The "sponge bob" argument is insanely stupid and subjective and by the way not the majority so your completely on your own there. Hands up anybody that thinks this is true?? If so I will stop immediately!

Offline GK

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2015, 11:51:35 am »
Importantly, we need to change the future, help governments and organisations realise the importance of education, invite new people to the field, create dreams, and understand our desire to innovate and make something. I want to make this documentary.

Yes, that there is a strong emotional engagement on your behalf to achieve something beyond just producing an interesting and informative documentary series is blindingly obvious. It comes through strongly in much of what you have produced thus far and I think that it is preventing you from making something as potentially worthwhile as it could be out of the resources that you have available. Simply put, I think the final product would be better if your goals were more focused and a little less grandiose.

"Your pathetic appraisal and criticism is so far removed from your expertise that it is embarrassing!"

The above is my opinion. You can take a chill-pill and maybe entertain the thought that some of the criticism that you have received thus far might actually contain an element of constructive merit, or you can just continue to spit the dummy. I kinda wish I had bitten my tongue here at this point; at this stage I think I'd best make for the exit.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 11:56:45 am by GK »

Offline digitalhack

« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2015, 12:13:44 pm »
@GK yes it is like spitting the dummy - surely you can see the investment in time and effort for that reason?? To have such abrasive comments interject what was supposed to be a discussion - where you are perfectly free to comment and pass criticism in a constructive way. However that's not what I see taking place here and I have a right to think that. You attack me personally, thinking you are safe from reprisal with your "free thoughts" when in fact you are not. Take a chill pill your self dude! If you want to debate me further, send me an email - it should be obvious on how you can contact me - and I will debate this further privately if you want ... or NOT! What I absolutely object to is that you would attempt to provocatively challenge me without having the decency of addressing me by name or in way that I could even listen to your argument, by saying things on this forum! I deplore this kind of action and you are most certainly free to discuss this in person. Stop denigrating my project, my name and the industry! If you want engagement you will address me in the proper manner, politely and without prejudice.

Offline GK

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2015, 12:21:54 pm »
You attack me personally,

If you say so.

....thinking you are safe from reprisal with your "free thoughts" when in fact you are not.

Is this some kind of threat?

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2015, 12:25:18 pm »
I'd love to just see the interviews raw, one by one.

I'm sure Karl will correct me if I am wrong, but I think the "raw" videos might not be what people think they are.
As I recall it, Karl had a list of questions for all of us interviewee's based on the concept he had at the time for the edited (feature length) documentary (which I guess the concept has has morphed a lot over time?).
So I suspect a bulk of the "raw" videos would just be the interviewers answering the same questions as that was the intention at the time? I recall it wasn't all that "conversational", but that could be different for the other interviewee's who are legends with big stories to tell. I think Karl just got me for filler material  ;D
I like to see the full interviews too if there are some good stories in there that can be stitched together.
But I suspect the material is best suited to being edited as a multi-person story based narrative as Karl is doing.
The material is likely quite different to my very "conversational" and totally unprepared interview with Colin Mitchell (also in Karl's series) were I just hit record and we chatted about whatever for 4 hours

BTW, I can attest to the amount of work and money Karl has spent on this, and it's phenomenal.

Offline digitalhack

« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2015, 12:33:16 pm »
Dude I am not in the business of fucking with you! Get it? Think about what you say for a moment ... Think about how that might effect someone ... don't be provocative without cause. I'm not your enemy?? I'm simply someone who is putting everything out there as "they" say it, not me. It's never been about me or my "career" or Youtube views etc. It's about YOUR industry and where its going and where its come from ... If you think my shouting is threatening stop and look at your own verbal diarrhea for a change.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf