Author Topic: Amazon Prime???  (Read 10386 times)

Offline dc101Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
Amazon Prime???
« on: March 15, 2014, 02:26:25 pm »
Recently I've been wondering if Amazon Prime is actually a good deal.... turns out, not so much, see attachment.  Screen shot taken this morning, the SAME BNC cable from the SAME reseller on Amazon is $1.99 w/ $4.99 shipping or $13.26 with "FREE" Amazon Prime 2day shipping.  There's a class action lawsuit against Amazon now, article here: http://www.latinpost.com/articles/8875/20140314/amazon-prime-free-shipping-scam-lawsuit-claims-cost-offset-inflated.htm

-Tim

Offline 8086

• Super Contributor
    • Circuitology - Electronics Assembly
Re: Amazon Prime???
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2014, 02:35:36 pm »
Interesting.

I've never considered this before, but it seems like this is a thing in the UK as well.

Example at random, I searched for a microUSB cable - here's the results:

Offline skipjackrc4

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2014, 03:05:22 pm »
It depends on the item.  Sometimes it is a good deal, other times not.  I just ordered some Philips LED light bulbs, and the Prime price was the same as the price from other online sellers. 

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2014, 03:09:14 pm »
In the case of the first example there is clearly something going on, because it's the same cable being offered by the same vendor with different prices for prime and non-prime.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2014, 03:47:22 pm »
Here's another one, RF cable from UXCELL.  From UXCELL w/ free shipping for $6.15, if you order it from UXCELL with "free" prime shipping it's $7.32.  Sure it'll probably arrive a lot faster, but there's a price difference between the two, so hence it's not free.

Offline firehopper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2014, 09:14:45 pm »
plus prime membership went up from 79 to 99$

Offline tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2014, 12:32:41 am »
This is the same as "free" shipping on eBay; you can often find an item with postage included for slightly less, or the same price. It's just baked into the price.

For 6 pounds I could probably get a cable from the poundshop (15mins walk) cheaper, even if I took a taxi there and back. But for others, Prime may make sense.

Offline 8086

• Super Contributor
    • Circuitology - Electronics Assembly
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2014, 12:39:59 am »
This is the same as "free" shipping on eBay; you can often find an item with postage included for slightly less, or the same price. It's just baked into the price.

It's not the same at all.

When that happens on ebay, you pay the same price for shipping, but the difference is that the cost is either in the item price or in the delivery price.

On amazon, if you have paid for prime, which gives you next day delivery on prime eligible items, you are paying for the delivery once with the prime membership fee, and once again in the price of the item.

So on ebay, you pay once, on Amazon, you pay twice.

Offline echen1024

• Super Contributor
  • 15 yo Future EE
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2014, 01:36:19 am »
In the US, it is very different. here is an example with a Fluke 87-V

I'm not saying we should kill all stupid people. I'm just saying that we should remove all product safety labels and let natural selection do its work.

https://www.youtube.com/user/echen1024

Offline Weez

• Contributor
  • Hobbyist
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2014, 02:32:45 am »
I do a lot of buying via Amazon.  Paid for the "Prime" service a couple years ago. 

I found that items didn't really show up much faster - maybe a day earlier - than the regular free shipping.  Their two business days (or whatever the standard Prime shipping time is) didn't seem to include weekends, or holidays, or the day the item(s) were ordered, etc.

I don't know if I'd go so far as to call it a scam, but it's definitely a waste of money, imho.

Maybe it's better now, I dunno, but I'm content to wait for their standard free shipping, which is usually pretty decent.

Offline echen1024

• Super Contributor
  • 15 yo Future EE
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2014, 02:57:43 am »
I do a lot of buying via Amazon.  Paid for the "Prime" service a couple years ago. 

I found that items didn't really show up much faster - maybe a day earlier - than the regular free shipping.  Their two business days (or whatever the standard Prime shipping time is) didn't seem to include weekends, or holidays, or the day the item(s) were ordered, etc.

I don't know if I'd go so far as to call it a scam, but it's definitely a waste of money, imho.

Maybe it's better now, I dunno, but I'm content to wait for their standard free shipping, which is usually pretty decent.
One thing for is I don't have cable. So in that case, Prime actually does help for me. The 2 day shipping is just a perk.
I'm not saying we should kill all stupid people. I'm just saying that we should remove all product safety labels and let natural selection do its work.

Offline linux-works

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2014, 03:31:01 am »
I have prime and no cable tv or antenna at all.  I don't watch tv anymore anyway; some movies but even then, I get bored with them easily these days.  I don't find a lot on amazon video that I like, but I am sure many people can find things there they want to watch.

shipping is great, though; I like having 2nd day shipping for 'free'.  and if they ever miss that 2nd day, email them and they often will offer you another free month (extending it) of prime.

also, having prime gets you a little more respect with cust. svc.  I was able to return things that arrived broken but were longer than 30 days; just by invoking the 'I am a prime customer' mantra ;)   if you call on the phone and are nice to the CS folks, they usually have treated me very well indeed.

returns are also a bit easier if you are a prime customer.  I've gotton free return labels just by asking.  it seems not everyone gets this or even knows to try to ASK for it.

Offline echen1024

• Super Contributor
  • 15 yo Future EE
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2014, 04:57:00 am »
I have prime and no cable tv or antenna at all.  I don't watch tv anymore anyway; some movies but even then, I get bored with them easily these days.  I don't find a lot on amazon video that I like, but I am sure many people can find things there they want to watch.

shipping is great, though; I like having 2nd day shipping for 'free'.  and if they ever miss that 2nd day, email them and they often will offer you another free month (extending it) of prime.

also, having prime gets you a little more respect with cust. svc.  I was able to return things that arrived broken but were longer than 30 days; just by invoking the 'I am a prime customer' mantra ;)   if you call on the phone and are nice to the CS folks, they usually have treated me very well indeed.

returns are also a bit easier if you are a prime customer.  I've gotton free return labels just by asking.  it seems not everyone gets this or even knows to try to ASK for it.
My family purchases quite frequently, and once, when we needed to return some cheap little $15 item, they just waived it and gave the item to us for free.

Offline linux-works

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2014, 05:00:29 am »
they really can (if they want to) go the extra mile if you ask very nicely (you do have to call; email doesn't cut it and neither does 'chat') and it does help if you are a prime member.  but even without prime, I was usually treated pretty well.  more than once I've been given immediate credit even though the unit was not even mailed back to them yet!

Offline Kohanbash

• Regular Contributor
    • Robots for Roboticists
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2014, 03:48:22 pm »
Low cost items is really where you see the different prices for prime shipping and standard shipping.
For higher cost items it is more often the same price and you save on shipping by being prime.
Robots for Roboticists Blog - http://robotsforroboticists.com/

Offline jamesp15

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2014, 06:19:26 pm »
Also keep in mind that not everything that is "Prime" is sold by Amazon themselves...   those that are "fulfilled" by Amazon are 3rd party sellers who "drop ship" goods via Amazons warehouse/shipment system, they are free to set their own prices on items.
Also 3rd party sellers can list via Amazon site and Amazon takes a cut, but the actual seller ships the item and sets their own prices.

Would have to compare an item that "Ships from and sold by Amazon.com" to the same item "without prime" that "Ships from and sold by Amazon.com", which you can compare prices (they are usually the same) by logging out of Amazon and clearing you cookies.   Or check from a different pc thats never logged into Amazon.

My years of prime membership have more than paid for themselves every year.  Having a ~150pound dust collector delivered from Arizona to Maryland via UPS 2nd Day Air for no cost (non prime would have cost me ~100+ for the same shipping) paid for that years membership in one-go, and the ~100 other orders that year were gravy...   Havent regretted my prime membership at all since I signed up.  I dont stream videos/etc.  I am very impatient when waiting on shipping so its great for me, and would pay more to keep the benefit if i had to since I order so much from Amazon.

Offline ixfd64

• Frequent Contributor
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2014, 06:26:13 pm »
I'd say it's a good deal if you enjoy watching TV. There are lots of movies and TV episodes that are free for Amazon Prime users.

Offline jamesp15

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2014, 06:28:20 pm »

Business days = Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays that are NOT Federal holidays...
Their non-prime shipping is great if whatever you order happens to be in stock and ships from a warehouse that geographically close to you.

For being a waste of money depends on what and how much you order and your level of patience to wait (most of them time a few days yes, but I have had it take 10+ days on the non-prime free shipping in the past.  I am not a patient person when it comes to shipping times  :) )

Being able to have something you need in an "emergency" delivered tomorrow (if you order early enough, which is sometimes as late as 8pm) for the $3.99 more overnight shipping costs for prime members has saved my ass a number of times too.

Offline tsmith35

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2014, 04:28:26 am »
I've had a Prime membership for quite a while. I check pricing against both other sites and against Amazon's "Other Sellers", and I usually do quite well with the shipping costs. We watch Prime movies as well, though Netflix is my usual goto.

As for value, I think it's excellent. I can't tell you how many times I've ordered low-$ items and received them within 2 days with zero shipping cost. I'm quite pleased with Prime. Of course, YMMV. Per Amazon allowances, I share my Prime with my kids and my parents. No complaints here. :)

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2014, 12:17:35 pm »
Using Prime for years and always compared prices to non prime items but this law suit makes a lot of sense for me. I paid flat rate for free two days shipping  and the same item is sold as both prime and non prime, I should be able to get the non prime price with free shipping. Otherwise, it is a clear markup of the prime price.

Offline Noise Floor

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2014, 04:58:41 pm »
Mileage will vary.   I use Amazon a lot throughout the year and do price check before ordering.  When I do find Amazon being higher, its usually less then the cost of gas for me to drive to the store to get what I'm looking for.  I've bought 2 cargo carriers (for top of car) using prime.  Nothing like a box half the size of your car showing up in two days with no incremental on the shipping.

Offline Sigmoid

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2014, 05:07:33 pm »
"Free shipping" and "free 2 day shipping" is a world of difference apart. Especially when buying from a small seller, if it's across the country, you may actually be getting "free 2 week shipping". ;)

So yes, sometimes, particularly for small items, Prime may be overpriced, but sometimes it's definitely worth it.

And don't forget that you get a lot of digital content free as well.

Offline Weez

• Contributor
  • Hobbyist
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2014, 05:18:06 pm »
Just slightly OT...

In case some members weren't aware, Best Buy will price match Amazon - the only catch being the item must say "ships and sold by Amazon" - no third party deals.

I don't think Best Buy advertises this, at least I've never seen it written anywhere.

Whenever I'm there, I take a minute to scan the bar code with my phone.  Most of the time, in my experience, there's a savings to be had. 

My best deal to date was for an external micro sd card for my phone.  BB was selling the 64g card for $100, got it price matched to Amazon for $52.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf