Author Topic: Never mind fractal antennae, how about using your brain as one? :-)  (Read 4626 times)

Offline IanBTopic starter

• Super Contributor
This is amusing and educational:

http://youtu.be/0Uqf71muwWc

It turns out your brain is mostly a bag of water. And water can help increase the size of an antenna and increase the transmission range. The obvious conclusion is...watch the video and find out!

Best quote comes at the end:

"I didn't believe it, and the only way of finding out whether something is true is to do the damned experiment! Find out what is reality. Disprove your prejudices!"

Online T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
Re: Never mind fractal antennae, how about using your brain as one? :-)
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 06:19:36 pm »
And it would work even better with a metal plate, or something like that.  Ground plane FTW!

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 04:00:50 am »
Heh, that's cool. Not just improving transmission antenna gain by getting closer to a wavelength long, but also demonstrating the far more important principle of investigation by experiment.

"There is a principle, which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
-- Herbert Spencer, 1820-1903

This applies in politics and history, as well as science. Also when investigating an aircraft disappearance, in a very high disinformation-noise environment.

I'm not sure, but isn't it a sidetrack that he's talking about water? I'd have thought any conductor would do. His head (and the bottle of water) are just acting as a vertical conductor. Capacitive coupled in the case of the water bottle.

I laughed when he said "this is something everyone can try." Well, except for people who choose to drive old, non-computerized cars, like me.
First time I've ever come across a downside to that choice. Now I can't test whether it specifically has to be water. Vs any old bit of wire, or better yet a correctly tuned antenna and tank circuit.

Ah, excuses. OK, I could borrow one. And the real reason I won't do it is that I'm not curious enough about this to make the effort.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline dexters_lab

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 10:50:26 am »
hehe, i sometimes use that technique when i forget to lock my car and walked away too far

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf