Author Topic: Stepper motor ramp guidance  (Read 590 times)

Offline Puffie40Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • Irregular Logic
Stepper motor ramp guidance
« on: October 21, 2021, 11:10:08 pm »
I am developing a two-axis stepper motor control board using TMC5160 driver chips connected to a raspberry Pi for a camera pan-tilt.

one issue I am trying to address is getting the tilt to safely slow down without slamming into its mechanical stops. the pan-tilt has optical limit switches, but the challenge is at a high enough motor speed, inertia carries the axis into the mechanical stop.

Would having a more aggressive deceleration ramp in the controllers help this?  Is there some guidelines available for configuring a motor acceleration ramp? The TMC5160 datasheet is a little vague about this other than the ramp generator section on page 81.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
Re: Stepper motor ramp guidance
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2021, 11:57:39 pm »
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Online mawyatt

• Super Contributor
Re: Stepper motor ramp guidance
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2021, 03:59:55 pm »
We've used various Trinamic controllers for precision work with focus stacking fixtures which utilize precision linear rails. The data sheets show velocity profiles and the control parameters that influence such, and a couple that control the deceleration mode. Setting these parameters up correctly can be tricky, so best to study the data sheet details and run various experiments with the control parameters to get a "feel' for how they behave.

Best,
Curiosity killed the cat, also depleted my wallet!
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf