Author Topic: Stock Electronic Image FAILS  (Read 224239 times)

Offline Jay_Diddy_B

• Super Contributor
Re: Stock Electronic Image FAILS
« Reply #625 on: April 11, 2021, 09:49:27 pm »
Hi,

Not really a stock image fail. I found this on Banggood today:

I am not sure that you want to advertise that you are using electrolytic capacitors that are 30 years old!

Was 1991 a good year for electrolytic capacitors?

These are 'Large Pond Caps':

Where do you get your 'Large Pond Caps'?

Large pond is probably a miss translation of 'reservoir capacitor'.

Jay_Diddy_B
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 09:52:18 pm by Jay_Diddy_B »

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #626 on: April 11, 2021, 10:19:02 pm »
Hi,

Not really a stock image fail. I found this on Banggood today:

I am not sure that you want to advertise that you are using electrolytic capacitors that are 30 years old!

Was 1991 a good year for electrolytic capacitors?

Jay_Diddy_B

I see they are stock photos used by many sellers like this one:

https://www.aliexpress.com/i/4000418686697.html

See attached pictures.

To me they look reused/recycled and they might have even pulled those covers off some older caps and just stuck them on some other ones just like in this video about a cheap Chinese power supply:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/dodgy-technology/new-powersuply-from-china-if-you-think-you-saw-it-all-unbelievable/

That is interesting and it will go well in dodgy technology.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 10:28:05 pm by MrMobodies »

Offline Jay_Diddy_B

• Super Contributor
« Reply #627 on: April 12, 2021, 12:03:34 am »
Hi,

A quick check on eBay and I found:

You can expect this capacitor to heat up and die, it has a fever!!

It seems somebody had thousands of sleeves made with the same date code. All the 67000uF capacitors I can find were made in the same week!!

Has anybody bought these?

Jay_Diddy_B

Offline drussell

• Super Contributor
  • Hardcore Geek
« Reply #628 on: April 12, 2021, 12:17:29 am »
To be fair, those capacitors are pretty much indestructible...  :)

I wouldn't hesitate to use legitimate Sprague computer-grade caps from the 70s, let alone the 90s.

They're nothing like paper capacitors from the 40s or highly-stressed modern low ESR caps...  :)

Offline Jay_Diddy_B

• Super Contributor
« Reply #629 on: April 12, 2021, 12:36:38 am »

I wouldn't hesitate to use legitimate Sprague computer-grade caps from the 70s, let alone the 90s.

They're nothing like paper capacitors from the 40s or highly-stressed modern low ESR caps...  :)

The key word is Legitimate. I also would have no problem with genuine 36DX from this era. This question is, are these genuine?

I am sure that some of my HP power supplies have them.

Jay_Diddy_B

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #630 on: April 12, 2021, 12:18:05 pm »

Yep, I've got one from the 1980s and it's still good AFAICT.

I charged it up with an AA battery about two years ago and it still reads 1.5V.

(Checks.... yep, still charged)

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #631 on: April 16, 2021, 05:30:33 am »
Sometimes I think I accidentally click the adverts on this forum and tabs open but this one looked a little "off" to me AND something did not look right.

https://www.rohde-schwarz.com/au/solutions/test-and-measurement/electronic-design/electronic-design-and-test-days-2021_254476.html

I don't know what he's doing whether that the crocodile clip is connected to a ground pin (as someone, Tezzer hinted on the IRC) but dressed like that with no badge, I thought it would be one of their staff in picture but no it turned out to be a stock photo. Thought I'd post it anyway.

I don't find that very inspiring coming from them.

Gnif pointed out there is nothing connected to it and thus unpowered.

Just doubled checked and that picture  was available all the way from 2013 and that "ETDT Electronics Design and Test Day" sign ontop squared in read that I manually removed when doing the image lookup is not present in these:
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 06:09:33 am by MrMobodies »

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #632 on: April 16, 2021, 05:35:04 am »
Sometimes I think I accidentally click the adverts on this forum and tabs open but this one looked a little "off" to me AND something did not look right.

I don't know what he's doing whether that the crocodile clip is connected to a ground pin (as someone, Tezzer hinted on the IRC) but dressed like that with no badge, I thought it would be one of their staff in picture but no it turned out to be a stock photo. Thought I'd post it anyway.

And he's a bloody left-hander by the looks of it.

Kill it with fire.
iratus parum formica

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #633 on: April 16, 2021, 07:40:29 am »

And he's a bloody left-hander by the looks of it.

Kill it with fire.

No, his watch is on the wrong hand for a lefty. The photographer probably told him to hold it in the left hand to make the probe more visible.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk

Offline exe

• Supporter
  • self-educated hobbyist
« Reply #634 on: April 16, 2021, 07:51:55 am »
There is something off with that picture. It feels like he's holding the probe as I would hold a soldering iron. I assume the probe is with a retractable hook, so I'd expect it to be used/held somewhat differently.

When I probe something, I'm focused on the screen of oscilloscope, not on pcb. It feels like the photo was taken too early. I'd also like to see wiggly lines on the oscilloscope. That's with the assumption that those probes connected to the scope. I guess it's possible to use them with a siggen too if frequency is low.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #635 on: April 16, 2021, 10:45:54 am »
When I probe something, I'm focused on the screen of oscilloscope, not on pcb. It feels like the photo was taken too early. I'd also like to see wiggly lines on the oscilloscope. That's with the assumption that those probes connected to the scope. I guess it's possible to use them with a siggen too if frequency is low.

You seem to be assuming he's using an oscilloscope, that he's not just a paid model who's never used an oscilloscope in his life.

Offline Syntax Error

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #636 on: April 19, 2021, 11:26:00 am »
With this splash proof IP44 rated (British) power socket you can use your hair dryer whilst showering. How convenient is that?

[ This might NOT look wrong to non-British viewers ]

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #637 on: April 19, 2021, 11:57:16 am »
With this splash proof IP44 rated (British) power socket you can use your hair dryer whilst showering. How convenient is that?

It looks like the design allows the water to drain downward efficiently. What's wrong?  :-DD
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #638 on: April 19, 2021, 01:14:11 pm »

It looks like the design allows the water to drain downward efficiently. What's wrong?  :-DD

I think the Brit regulations forbid the use of powerpoints in the bathroom.

Offline drussell

• Super Contributor
  • Hardcore Geek
« Reply #639 on: April 19, 2021, 01:21:15 pm »

No, no....  That looks wrong everywhere.  :)

Offline Syntax Error

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #640 on: April 19, 2021, 02:19:46 pm »
Indeed, Brit regs EXPLICTLY FORBID the use of power points in a bathroom; except shaver sockets connected through an isolation transformer.

Well I said may not look wrong to non Brits; we were in Switzerland and over the bathroom basin was a 16Amp two pin power point. The power point did not have a shutter so the contacts were visible. This was the same in other rooms. We questioned the hotel manager who said this was allowed by "local laws" provided the socket was not used for a kettle. I assumed this was a power overload issue? No, guests had to purchase overpriced hot drinks from the bar. Being Brits, we never leave home without the travel kettle. Seemed just wrong brewing up in the sink but, when in Zurich...

Offline themadhippy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #641 on: April 19, 2021, 03:05:14 pm »
Brit regs EXPLICTLY FORBID the use of power points in a bathroom; except shaver sockets connected through an isolation transformer.
You can have as many  sockets as you like in a room containing a bath or shower,just they must be at least 3 meters away from the edge of the bath or shower

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk, timelessbeing

Offline Syntax Error

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #642 on: April 19, 2021, 03:18:09 pm »
Quote from: themadhippy link=topic=52722.msg3552427#msg3552427
You can have as many  sockets as you like in a room containing a bath or shower,just they must be at least 3 meters away from the edge of the bath or shower
How many Brit bathrooms are over 3 meters in size? It's true though that most people electrocuted in the bath were using an extension lead from the hallway.

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #643 on: April 19, 2021, 04:01:12 pm »
Not even a "stock image", it's from a real multimeter listing.

Hey, at least they did set the rotary switch to the right position!  ::)

And note the highly professional single-handed safety grip the guy has on those two unprotected probe tips, to ensure that the mains voltage does not pass right through his body if he slips...

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #644 on: April 19, 2021, 04:15:09 pm »

No, no....  That looks wrong everywhere.  :)

Over here (Germany), power outlets and switches need to keep 60 cm lateral distance from the outer edge of a bathtub or shower. IP44 protection does not allow you to put an outlet any closer. Outside of that protected zone, standard outlets and switches can be used, without splash protection requirements.

You still have to apply common sense to not use your hairdyer with its 1.5 m line cord under the shower...

Offline drussell

• Super Contributor
  • Hardcore Geek
« Reply #645 on: April 19, 2021, 04:36:43 pm »
How many Brit bathrooms are over 3 meters in size? It's true though that most people electrocuted in the bath were using an extension lead from the hallway.

Here in Canada they make an exception to our 1m minimum rule for extremely small bathrooms where it is allowed to be as close as 50cm in a situation where a greater distance is not "practicable."

Back in the pre-GFCI days, we were allowed but not required to put in a "razor" outlet that was transformer isolated and current limited by the impedance of the transformer.  Those transformer isolated plugs are no longer allowed by code basically ever since GFCIs came into existence. 

You are now required to put a GFCI-protected plug adjacent to the wash basin(s), but must be far enough from the tub or shower that it cannot be reached by someone from in the tub/shower itself.  (Or, at least you were as of this point that I'm looking at, based on the 1998-2002 code book, I would have to consult the latest regulations to provide exact, specific current advice.)

Online HwAoRrDk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #646 on: April 19, 2021, 05:05:46 pm »
I think the Brit regulations forbid the use of powerpoints in the bathroom.

Indeed. No-one wants be subject to dull sales presentations while taking a bath. :-DD

"Sorry, could you repeat that last slide, I couldn't see it because I had shampoo in my eyes."

The following users thanked this post: Vovk_Z

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #647 on: April 19, 2021, 09:17:54 pm »
Quote from: themadhippy link=topic=52722.msg3552427#msg3552427

I didn't even know that they bathed.

iratus parum formica

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #648 on: April 20, 2021, 02:11:39 am »

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #649 on: April 20, 2021, 05:41:26 am »
From https://bulbs.2yr.net/continuity.php ???

if your multimeter displayed all zeros, then your bulb probably does not work.
:palm:

Well, yeah...it wouldn't...but that would be a short.
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf