Author Topic: Strange LCD monitor problem  (Read 5471 times)

Offline NiHaoMikeTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
Strange LCD monitor problem
« on: June 16, 2012, 04:23:28 pm »
I have a 22" Viore LCD monitor (teardown: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/general-chat/don%27t-turn-it-on-take-it-apart!-then-turn-it-on/ ) that works great with VGA, but try to use either HDMI input and the image goes off the screen on all 4 sides and the image quality is terrible, making it mostly useless. I've tried with several source devices (several PCs and a tablet) and all have that problem, and at least one of the sources works perfectly fine with another 1080p monitor.

Any ideas why that's happening? I tried overriding the EDID with one from a working monitor but that doesn't seem to do anything. 1080p works perfectly with VGA, so the panel (a really nice S-MVA one, at that) is in fact capable of 1080p.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 05:13:47 pm by NiHaoMike »
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
  • It is hot until proved not.
Re: Strange LCD monitor problem
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 04:40:11 pm »
Do you need the right software for it, some monitors I have come with a software CD and only work in basic mode without the installation of the drivers and software.

• Super Contributor
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 05:15:12 pm »
The monitor never came with a CD. Also, the VGA works fine, but the HDMI acts as if the monitor is always zooming in a little.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2012, 05:44:26 pm »
The monitor never came with a CD. Also, the VGA works fine, but the HDMI acts as if the monitor is always zooming in a little.

That's because it's a TV, not a monitor. Go check the aspect ratio setting.

• Super Contributor
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 05:58:46 pm »
I did check the aspect ratio setting, it wasn't it.

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2012, 06:00:51 pm »
That's cheap stuff for you. If no option in the menus works, see if your video driver will let you configure overscan.

• Super Contributor
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2012, 06:14:06 pm »
I could "fix" the zoom issue by setting the resolution a little lower, but that does nothing for the image quality problem. It does give an impression that they were trying to cheat by using a panel that doesn't really do 1080p, but the fact that 1080p through VGA works perfectly means that's not the case. That doesn't help much when I have a few 1080p sources (a tablet, a FPGA board, and a few other gadgets) that only have HDMI output.

Offline metalphreak

• Frequent Contributor
  • http://d.av.id.au
    • D.av.id.AU
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2012, 07:19:40 am »
+1 for overscan setting. TV would be expecting a PC connected to VGA thus no overscan. On HDMI it would be expecting a set top box or something, thus it has overscan turned on. If there's no menu option for it, that's pretty rubbish :(

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2012, 08:10:15 am »
Look on the internet for the service mode, where you will possibly find a non user mode accessible overscan setting.

Offline RJSC

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2012, 01:53:19 pm »
I've got an even stranger one: The monitor only has a VGA port, yet it is an LCD.

When it is displaying the picture without the overlayed OSD menu, all the picture has a green tint.
When you pop the OSD menu the background picture (from the input) returns to the correct color. Once you leave the OSD menu, it returns to the green tint.

At first I though It was a cable or analog circuitry problem on a color channel, but since it displays the correct colors when displaying the OSD menu I'd say the firmware got magically corrupted: noting to do.

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2012, 02:10:20 pm »
I've got an even stranger one: The monitor only has a VGA port, yet it is an LCD.

When it is displaying the picture without the overlayed OSD menu, all the picture has a green tint.
When you pop the OSD menu the background picture (from the input) returns to the correct color. Once you leave the OSD menu, it returns to the green tint.

At first I though It was a cable or analog circuitry problem on a color channel, but since it displays the correct colors when displaying the OSD menu I'd say the firmware got magically corrupted: noting to do.

Well some old LCD's have only VGA's, definitely the cheaper ones

Offline RJSC

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2012, 02:16:30 pm »

Well some old LCD's have only VGA's, definitely the cheaper ones

It seems I was not so clear. Sorry.

The strange thing is the green image problem when not displaying the menu., not and LCD monitor with VGA only. Even last year (last time I've checked) the cheaper ones were VGA only.

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2012, 03:46:34 pm »
VGA only displays are still around. It's annoying, because people will continue to buy them to save £5, and VGA will continue to hang around for years to come. It's time it died out.

• Super Contributor
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2012, 04:06:23 pm »
+1 for overscan setting. TV would be expecting a PC connected to VGA thus no overscan. On HDMI it would be expecting a set top box or something, thus it has overscan turned on. If there's no menu option for it, that's pretty rubbish :(
Any idea why they would cripple it on purpose? It seems like they're spending more on the scaler to make it worse.

Offline zaoka

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2012, 09:18:04 pm »
Is it possible to upgrade firmware of the monitor? (see if there is USB on the back of the monitor)

• Super Contributor
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2012, 09:47:23 pm »
There is a USB port, but I haven't found a firmware update for it. (It's the LED22VF60.)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf