Author Topic: Stupid Audiophool Question.  (Read 12175 times)

Offline HP-ILnerdTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Stupid Audiophool Question.
« on: May 02, 2014, 04:23:08 am »
I.e., my following question may be stupid:

You've been warned.

Has anybody (apart from the designers) actually tried to deliberately couple a signal into a commercial power supply before the filter caps and tried to force a signal through them?
Or even tried to couple an HF signal on to the mains to see how much makes it through the supply?  You'd think an audiophool magazine would like hard numbers and give it a go.  Or maybe not.
I expect the amplitude of such a signal would have to be pretty bloody huge relative to any ambient EMF to make it through.  Obviously, they don't have the math on their side.

I don't expect an audiophool would believe the results anyway, seeing as they can't seem to accept the notion that their own ears are bandwidth limited
far below the frequencies of the "noise" they complain about.  But it might be a fun experiment.

I mean really.  People buy this stuff: 

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
Re: Stupid Audiophool Question.
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 04:29:51 am »
You'd think an audiophool magazine would like hard numbers and give it a go.

Read this sentence in a wry tone and you have your answer...
No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

Offline calexanian

• Super Contributor
    • Alex-Tronix
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 04:40:35 am »
I made it to 1:44 before I had to stop it..... My head hurts and I want that one minute and forty four seconds of my life back!   :palm:

As any ham radio operator knows RF can get into just about anything and be a real bugger to get rid of......... When you are dealing with a nearby RF amplifier.... Unless you happen to have one nearby or are unfortunate enough to be near a huge AM radio station it is generally not an issue decoupling RF signals. The Coils or transformer in the power supply and the filter caps generally make a fine low pass filter. If the signal lever is high enough i suppose you could couple a signal capacitively to just about anything. Any piece of wire theoretically could be a antenna, but for the sake of this "Product" where he states the last 6 feet connected to the equipment is most important, well right there thats handy considering the standard IEC mains cable just happens to be about 6 feet, and generally speaking (well,, the depths of these nuts astounds) people are not going to rip the wires out of their walls so all you can really sell them in a mains cable.. hmmmm.. Convenient! Most properly designed AV equipment can handle reasonable amounts of EMI without the need of additional filtering.. When was the last time you had RF hash on something in your home? Unless you are a ham.... which I am.. KI6IHD
Charles Alexanian
Alex-Tronix Control Systems

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 04:57:45 am »
I made it to 1:44 before I had to stop it..... My head hurts and I want that one minute and forty four seconds of my life back!   :palm:

I'm way tougher than you made it to 3 minutes then I had to hurl. That voice is going to hunt me for the foreseeable future.
A relaxed voice but the noise of the meaning of his sentences was probably equivalent to what stresses audiophools on music.

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
  • It is hot until proved not.
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 07:53:37 am »
I have been putting Rf onto my mains cabling ( home plugs LAN connections) for the past 6 years and never noticed it breaking through on any audio equipment.
Last month I decided to chuck the home plugs and wire the house with LAN cable (cat5e), since then I have noticed a lot of noise on the 2 meter band, which I think is coming from the router up the cable as tuning the computers off does not stop it but turning the router off does.
No RF would appear to get past the power packs (nor would I expect it to) in any of the audio equipment in the house and the equipment that picks up the router noise is a Kenwood hand held.

Offline XOIIO

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 09:44:29 am »
8 seconds and I quit. The guy just sounds and looks like a sleazebag.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2014, 11:56:09 am »
I have been putting Rf onto my mains cabling ( home plugs LAN connections) for the past 6 years and never noticed it breaking through on any audio equipment.
Last month I decided to chuck the home plugs and wire the house with LAN cable (cat5e), since then I have noticed a lot of noise on the 2 meter band, which I think is coming from the router up the cable as tuning the computers off does not stop it but turning the router off does.
No RF would appear to get past the power packs (nor would I expect it to) in any of the audio equipment in the house and the equipment that picks up the router noise is a Kenwood hand held.

Ferrite beads around the coax should stop that, and you should have used shielded cable as well ( even though it is a pain to terminate).

Online tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2014, 12:14:39 pm »
I've also replaced the other 163KM power cable (with directional gold plated silver balanced power cable) to the nearest wind generator and the sound really got improved. First I routed it to the nuclear plant, but the power from there was spilled with tachyon particles, and that introduced jitter on my DAC.

Offline Excavatoree

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2014, 12:23:21 pm »
I've also replaced the other 163KM power cable (with directional gold plated silver balanced power cable) to the nearest wind generator and the sound really got improved. First I routed it to the nuclear plant, but the power from there was spilled with tachyon particles, and that introduced jitter on my DAC.

You beat me to it.  How can that last meter or so of cord overcome the several meters of house wiring, (there may be splices involved!)  a distribution panel, power meter, (which may be electronic and introduce noise)  wires from the transformer, the transformer itself, the distribution lines,  more transformers, then more lines and more distribution equipment to the power plant?  Is the copper wire for the generator windings pure enough? 

I did, however, see hospital grade receptacles sold on fleabay that were cryogenically treated for audiophile applications.  I'm sure someone who has access to the equipment buys a 3 dollar receptacle and sells it for 103 dollars.  I can't say I'm not tempted to get in on this, but I have to be able to look at myself.

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2014, 02:48:49 pm »

Ooh, you are using wind power ? When does the music sound best ? Eastern wind or western wind.
I think there is noticable more bass during a heavy storm....
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline Tuomas

• Contributor
    • My random electronics projects
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2014, 03:19:48 pm »
Personally, I power all my audio gear with steady 24vdc that is supplied by my own personal solar array farm. All regulation to 24v is done linearly of course (none of this noise-inducing PWM or MPPT crap!). I find solar power to produce a much more brighter sound than most power sources. One downside is the need to focus all listening activities during the solar minimum, the sunspots and solar flares during the other times of the 11-year cycle reduce the soundstage a bit too much...

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2014, 03:27:21 pm »
This is a classic audiophool scam.  There is even a name for it: "The $1000 power cable".
We will always have these fools with us, because there are people even more foolish to buy this twaddle.
Move along, nothing to see here.

Offline calexanian

• Super Contributor
    • Alex-Tronix
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2014, 06:15:05 pm »
These eyeglasses are perfectly balanced to enhance your sonic experience. Also these shoes are specially dampened so ground conducted sonic impulses do not create cranial displacement and color your sound.  :-DD
Charles Alexanian

Offline N2IXK

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2014, 06:50:00 pm »
... so ground conducted sonic impulses do not create cranial displacement and color your sound.

Sure, but what will they do about cranial/rectal inversion, which seems to be a rampant problem among audiophools?
"My favorite programming language is...SOLDER!"--Robert A. Pease

Offline staxquad

• Frequent Contributor
  • Eye Candy
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2014, 07:54:18 pm »
you don't understand

Power lines run for hundreds of miles, so how could a six foot power cord make any difference?
The popular contention here is that if HF noise builds up along the power grid, all the way to the wall receptacle, then after hundreds of miles there would be so much HF noise that no audiophile power cord could filter it all out—not even a significant amount.

you don't just plug in the power cable into the wall, you need  to use their firewall

and in a configuration like this:

Dynamic Filtering Power Cable: $595 each
Firewall Power Conditioning Unit:$4,686 each

4x$595 + 4X$4,686 = $21,124

would cost you $21,124 to nullify the effects of your 163KM power cable and the HF noise builds up along the power grid.  After you spend that much money, you will only hear clean sound, guaranteed.

and then you're going to need $21,000 speaker cable to hear the new found silence

« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 08:49:38 pm by staxquad »
"TEPCO Fukushima you long time"
You say Vegemite, I say Yosemite. (Ve-gem-mit-tee, Yo-zey-might)  
"For starters : you're Canadian...."

Offline grumpydoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2014, 08:07:21 pm »
Sure, but what will they do about cranial/rectal inversion, which seems to be a rampant problem among audiophools?
You probably mean cranio-rectal impaction, cranial/rectal inversion just means they are upside-down. There also quite a lot of audiophools who lack olecrano-anal disambiguation.

Offline calexanian

• Super Contributor
    • Alex-Tronix
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2014, 08:14:31 pm »
They have cranio rectal insertion in an upward direction.
Charles Alexanian

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2014, 08:25:42 pm »
but it's all in vain if you don't use $21,000 speaker cable

For some reason, I find "anode" and "cathode" most amusing of all of that crap. They're actually applying a 72V field radially through the cable, because why the hell not?

They even have a two patents on this ridiculous feedthrough capacitor, because why the hell not?

They've even got a nice doughnut diagram (seriously, those look delicious ;D) explaining how an unbiased cable exhibits sprinkle phase distortion, because why the hell not?

electrostatic organization frequency cable phase cathode dielectric blaargh OS6jP$#() :scared: :blah:
No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

Offline HP-ILnerdTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2014, 02:31:30 am »
Jeez, that patent reads like one of their ads.  Another shining example of what's wrong with the US patent system.

So I expect the answer to my question would be "what for?" for anyone in the Audiophool Industry.  "We're too busy getting the mains power into your stereo faster."

Later in the video I posted (which you may not have had the stomach to watch all the way through), they claim their cable and allows the "the most speedy unimpeded
flow of energy" possible and is the "perthaps the most conductive power cord available" .  Because it's all about getting power to your stereo first, right?

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2014, 11:33:16 am »

What type of router are you using?  I have a venerable old Linksys WRT54G.  I have been using it for the last 10 years and I get no interference on any of my ham gear.  My router is about 7 or 8 feet from my 2 meter radio and I have no issues.  I am using Belden 213 for my coax and my coax doesn't go anywhere near my router.  I use cat5e for my printers and computers that aren't wireless but it isn't embedded in the walls.  It's all patch cables but they also don't come close to the 2 meter radio except for 1.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
  • It is hot until proved not.
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2014, 03:23:28 pm »
Its one provided by my ISP. A piece of BT's best crap in other-words, they call it the home hub 4.
BT home hubs are known for giving trouble the previous one would stop connecting to the internet for a time varying from hours to days, it was eventually replaced with this one, interestingly I tried the old one the other day as a simple 4 port switch using the new to connect online it worked at first then the next day I found I could not get on line so I unplugged the new network and found the internet worked by this time my new switch had arrived so I put that in reconnected the local network and everything works fine (other than the RF noise) tried switching the port switch for the old hub again and bingo the system would not connect to the internet, I thought that it was the router side of the hub that did not work and would not allow the internet to work but it turns out otherwise, the offending item is now trashed, I will have to get a decent router other than that provided by the ISP I guess. The RF noise is detectable with my hand held there is no co-ax involved.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 03:25:30 pm by G7PSK »

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2014, 05:03:06 pm »
That's a real bummer.  I don't use anything the ISP provides.  They have brought in the MTA but the router is mine.  I wouldn't trust the quality of the router they may provide.  I will admit that the service and customer service is top notch.  The way that I look at it is that the network is mine, the ISP doesn't need to provide any network equipment, I will supply my own.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline ampdoctor

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2014, 02:55:43 am »
This is the kind of crap that really chaps my ass! There are people and companies doing very real engineering and research trying to find better methods of sound production and reproduction. Then jerks like this come along and pollute everything. It makes it very difficult for the average enthusiast to separate the wheat from the chaff as it were.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf