Author Topic: Suggestion to improve banner ads  (Read 4920 times)

Offline mikeselectricstuffTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
Suggestion to improve banner ads
« on: August 18, 2014, 04:28:00 pm »
An issue with the (currently TI) ads at the top - I sometimes notice something interesting while waiting for the next page to load, but it then  disappears when the new page loads, and "back" doesn't show the same ad - it would be useful if there was a link that showed the last few ads a user was shown, to go back and  follow up something that might be of interest
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline Rigby

• Super Contributor
  • Learning, very new at this. Righteous Asshole, too
Re: Suggestion to improve banner ads
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 07:18:21 pm »
That would require some user tracking, which most people are solidly against.  I agree in principle, though.  If I'm going to be sold to, at least let me find the ad(s) I want to see.

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 09:44:37 pm »
That would require some user tracking, which most people are solidly against.  I agree in principle, though.  If I'm going to be sold to, at least let me find the ad(s) I want to see.
Not necessarily - the banner could just include small buttons to link to the last, say, 2 or 3 ads.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 10:27:58 pm »
I'll have to talk to Supply Frame about it. It's not something I can just do at my end.

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 10:53:43 pm »
I'll have to talk to Supply Frame about it. It's not something I can just do at my end.
I realise that, it's something they need to do at their end - hopefully they listen to suggestions....!

Offline PedroDaGr8

• Super Contributor
  • A sociable geek chemist
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 01:22:12 am »
An issue with the (currently TI) ads at the top - I sometimes notice something interesting while waiting for the next page to load, but it then  disappears when the new page loads, and "back" doesn't show the same ad - it would be useful if there was a link that showed the last few ads a user was shown, to go back and  follow up something that might be of interest

I thought I was the only one that did this!

Another error is I occasionally get ads in Spanish or Russian. The Spanish I can understand as I'm a couple dozen miles from the border with Mexico but Russian? Not even close.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 04:27:51 am »
Russian is easy, they are from the worldwide pool and are served when nothing is a match for you. Only way you notice is the language change.

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 05:59:56 am »
Yes, I have been troubled by exactly the same issue.  I see something interesting just a millisecond too late, and it is gone forever.

On a couple of other web-based forums I frequent, they have a special page of all the banner adds so you can go there and find one that caught your attention.

I have also seen the location problem. Specifically the TI banner ads in Russian.  Now, sometimes my ISP plays games with  traffic routing and I am identified hundreds of miles away in a different state. But I have never seen an error that places me in another country THAT far away.  Bizzare.   :scared:

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2014, 06:14:28 am »
Ditto, clicked a link in the forum, wait and in split second saw a cool TI chip ad, then poof .. gone overridden by the new rendered page,  click back page button and its no longer there, replaced by other.

Cursing started ...  :rant:

Offline ivaylo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2014, 06:44:58 am »
Am I reading this right? There are people who actually ask for ads...  :palm:

Offline bookaboo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2014, 07:01:58 am »

Well here are the choices:
- Relevant banner ads in a fair proportion (which this site has)
- Site has membership fee
- Dave works for free

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2014, 07:11:48 am »

Not actually asking for ads, its just my browser ad filtering is disabled at few web sites that I do really appreciate it's content, Dave's Eevblog main site and forum are in the list.

Offline PedroDaGr8

• Super Contributor
  • A sociable geek chemist
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2014, 06:51:50 pm »
It's not about having MORE ads. I have no problem with ads that support a site when they are relevant to the site and have things that I am interested in. I'm not anti-advertising at all, I am anti-annoying-intrusive-advertising. Dave needs to make a living and the servers for this forum have to be paid somehow. I would prefer it via a means that works for both the advertiser AND us users. The ads are there but not in your face, no motion, no sound, etc.

To be honest, these TI ads, quite frankly are perfect. They are HIGHLY targeted and often have parts that I didn't know TI had. Sometimes I click on it just to find out about the part, others I actually get a sample sent to try it out. This to me is how advertising SHOULD be.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin

Offline echen1024

• Super Contributor
  • 15 yo Future EE
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2014, 12:16:09 am »
It's not about having MORE ads. I have no problem with ads that support a site when they are relevant to the site and have things that I am interested in. I'm not anti-advertising at all, I am anti-annoying-intrusive-advertising. Dave needs to make a living and the servers for this forum have to be paid somehow. I would prefer it via a means that works for both the advertiser AND us users. The ads are there but not in your face, no motion, no sound, etc.

To be honest, these TI ads, quite frankly are perfect. They are HIGHLY targeted and often have parts that I didn't know TI had. Sometimes I click on it just to find out about the part, others I actually get a sample sent to try it out. This to me is how advertising SHOULD be.

:-+ :-+ :-+ :-+
I'm not saying we should kill all stupid people. I'm just saying that we should remove all product safety labels and let natural selection do its work.

https://www.youtube.com/user/echen1024

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2014, 03:49:53 am »
I have developed immunity to ad banners...Cant even remember when was last time I bought something using banners, probably never.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf