Author Topic: Suggestions for a decent pair of bluetooth headphones  (Read 811 times)

Offline AmperaTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
Suggestions for a decent pair of bluetooth headphones
« on: March 20, 2020, 08:53:11 pm »
I have a somewhat long and troubled history with wireless headphones. Personally I've fallen victim to Logitech product, namely the G930 which has given me infinite ire for the company as a whole.

That being said, I was given some Bluetooth headphones a while ago, and while they're cheaper units, perhaps 50-ish bucks, they sound good for that price, and I've enjoyed them immensely.

My Sennheiser GSP 300's have been excellent headphones, but they're on their last legs, and I'd love any suggestions for something to combine the respectable sound quality of even these cheap Sennheisers and the ease and utility I've found within a cheaper pair of Bluetooth headphones.

Headphones are something I'm not well versed in, I know few names beyond Sennheiser, which makes me nervous of falling into a Craftsman pit. I can say this.

My budget is around 200$, and I would like units that have a direct line connection to the headphones, such that I can use them directly attached to any generic piece of audio equipment even when the batteries are flat. If there would be any one priority, build quality would make me spend that little bit more money beyond the budget.

I'm also not completely sold on Bluetooth audio, so I wouldn't be surprised if the answer is good luck, just know I'm here testing the waters to see what's there.
I forget who I am sometimes, but then I remember that it's probably not worth remembering.
EEVBlog IRC Admin - Join us on irc.austnet.org #eevblog

Offline ajb

• Super Contributor
Re: Suggestions for a decent pair of bluetooth headphones
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2020, 09:10:08 pm »
I've been pretty happy with Taotronics bluetooth noise cancelling headphones in the $50 range.  Here's a newer model of what I have: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075CBHN9M/.  The noise cancelling isn't mind blowing, but it takes the edge off of airplane noise and I can get several full working days out of them.  Bluetooth works fine, and they have a 3.5mm input jack.  Interestingly, when plugged into a PC via USB they show up as an audio device, but don't actually work as such.  They have a mic that works fine for phone calls, but for video conferencing or recording voiceover I have one of these which also works quite well: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BJ17WKK/

Offline jogri

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2020, 09:24:49 pm »
Don't know if it's similar in the states, but here in europe you can find a lot of unopened/new Bose QC 35 for 200 bucks give or take. Great value for that price and they come with a 2.5mm banana jack in case you want to use them w/o noice cancelling or when the batteries are flat.

They sound rather good (i'd say they are roughly equal to my Beyer 770s) and even though they pack quite a bit of plastic they feel rather sturdy.

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2020, 11:55:42 pm »
I do already have a condenser mic solution, so inbuilt microphone is absolutely not a concern.
I forget who I am sometimes, but then I remember that it's probably not worth remembering.

Offline Gregg

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2020, 02:00:54 am »
I have the Sennheiser PXC 550 noise cancelling bluetooth headphones and am very pleased with them.  I tried the Taotronics and they hurt my ears. 

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2020, 02:51:15 am »
The ones I use are the AKG K845BT, an old model manufactured by AKG before Samsung bough the company, but I had to change the earpads, basically they disintegrated after less than 3 years of mild, low use.

The change of the pads also changed the sound signature, the replacement ones from Brainwavz are the kind of Hybrid - velour in contact with the skin, protein leather on the outside, small holes pattern in the inside to the more thick memory foam instead of protein leather all around with normal foam cushion.

The outside isolation with the replacement pads are better, specially if you use glasses, and the holes inside increases the sound stage a little. The battery itself is good for more than 8 hours of listening at 50%-75% volume and it have a 3.5mm jack with a cable included in the cases were the headphones die and it's needed to be used wireless. Mind you can't use them with the 3.5mm jack and charge at the same time. Also they are very easy to disassemble in case the battery goes kaput and needs replacement, without breaking any plastic tabs

You can find them online for cheap since they are discontinued. If you buy them exchange the earpads also, it will change them greatly.

If you still want wired ones, the AKG K553 MKII are exactly the same model as the K845BT but wired only. Same sound profile, will greatly improve with pad replacement.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 05:12:41 am by Black Phoenix »

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2020, 05:07:54 pm »
I've decided to give https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SNI44CQ a go. I don't like buying stuff I know little about, but the air around them seems to be reasonable, and they're at a price I don't mind. My current GSP 300s are also Sennheisers and have lasted me many pleasant years, and are still (just barely) hanging on, so I'm hoping brand names still mean something here.

Offline GlennSprigg

• Super Contributor
  • Medically retired Tech. Old School / re-learning !
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2020, 01:52:34 pm »
It depends what you want to use them for. If you are just listening to music from some device then fine.

I'm also a Muso, and awhile ago I looked for Bluetooth connectivity for certain instruments/earphones etc. The problem is the inherent delay with Bluetooth! Instruments 'not' via Bluetooth will be fractionally 'ahead' of someone's earphones/headphones etc.
Diagonal of 1x1 square = Root-2. Ok.
Diagonal of 1x1x1 cube = Root-3 !!!  Beautiful !!

Offline unknownparticle

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2020, 02:19:17 pm »
Have a look at Marshall products, they are very well regarded.
DC coupling is the devils work!!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf