Author Topic: Suggestions for a small air compressor with tank  (Read 5364 times)

Offline HalcyonTopic starter

• Global Moderator
Suggestions for a small air compressor with tank
« on: December 19, 2023, 01:47:01 am »
I'm in need of a good quality, mains powered (230v) air compressor, mainly for adjusting car tyre pressures, but I'd also like one with a small tank so I can blow dust out of electronics etc...

Size isn't really an issue as it'll mostly live in my garage, but I don't need anything massive as it's going to be for low volume applications.

Can anyone suggest any good quality brands or models? I don't want anything made in China.

Offline richnormand

• Supporter
Re: Suggestions for a small air compressor with tank
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2023, 02:33:57 am »
Don't really know what you have access to in terms of brands at your location but here goes:

In the garage I have a 30 years old Devilbiss (made USA) 2Gal compressor. Not that big but it is noisy. It will drive all the air tools OK. Short burst for the big guns (1/2") but OK for the 3/8" and 1/4".
Did two full motor rebuilds with it in addition to standard maintenance.

On the bench and workshop I have a smaller 1Gal from a California company (Metabo) for about 5 years. It looks like it was assembled from parts from many locations. That one was selected to be quiet to be in the house.
It is used for the metal lathe, bandsaw and such. I ran a second line to the electronic bench with a manifold and added a desiccant in the line as well as a micropore filter to the trigger blower to keep everything clean for bench use.

In both cases it is important to remember to empty the tank regularly to flush away moisture accumulating from compressing/decompressing the air to prevent rust in the tank at least once a week.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2023, 08:43:37 pm by richnormand »
Repair, Renew, Reuse, Recycle, Rebuild, Reduce, Recover, Repurpose, Restore, Refurbish, Recondition, Renovate

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2023, 05:06:42 am »
Any other planned uses for compressed air? If not, a simple bicycle pump would be good enough for topping up tires and even does quite well dusting off electronics with the addition of a nozzle. Or get an "EDF" (basically a miniature "electric jet engine") and motor driver for that use.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2023, 11:11:33 am »
Do you want oilless or oiled?  I have had several different types in my life.  I currently have 3 functional and a much older one in storage.  My large one is oiled.  I suspect it would be much more than you want.  The two smaller ones are oil less and are Craftsman branded.  I find oil less are louder, but in a garage, that shouldn't be a problem.  The "2 HP" tank mounted is quite loud.  I would not recommend it, unless you really need the volume. 

The one I have in my garage has a cylindrical tank, but aside from that, it is similar to the pancake version in the attachment.  That configuration is very popular among carpenters and others who need something portable that won't easily tip over and does not require high volume.  That is, abrasive blasting with it would take forever, but it's great for driving a few nails.

It is also "Made in the USA,"  which is a little hard to trust given who currently owns the brand.  But then, you never know.  It is what I would recommend based on your description.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2023, 11:28:20 am »
I'm in need of a good quality, mains powered (230v) air compressor, mainly for adjusting car tyre pressures, but I'd also like one with a small tank so I can blow dust out of electronics etc...

Size isn't really an issue as it'll mostly live in my garage, but I don't need anything massive as it's going to be for low volume applications.

Can anyone suggest any good quality brands or models? I don't want anything made in China.
Problem is: almost all compressors are made in China nowadays. Even when 'made in USA' you'll likely find Chinese parts unless you get into the super expensive heavy duty compressors from Atlas Copco and the likes.

About two years ago I got this one:

It is reasonably quiet but I have made some modifications to the pipe work and fitted a bigger reduction valve. It can keep up with a small plasma cutter as well.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2023, 11:38:57 am by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2023, 11:37:12 am »
Years ago I decided I needed a compressor, for pretty much the same reasons as you, and started shopping. I ended up buying a hand held blower for the dusting jobs and a tire inflator that runs off the vehicle battery (cigarette lighter/aux outlet). It has worked out pretty well. So it turned out, I didn't need a compressor after all.

The following users thanked this post: Someone

Offline Dan123456

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2023, 12:13:58 pm »
Unless it is on ethical / moral grounds, I wouldn’t completely write off the Chinese made air compressors  :)

I got one of the below from Bunnings probably 5 years ago for ~$300 and it has been perfect for what I need with light-to-moderate use.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/full-boar-2-3hp-50l-oil-free-direct-drive-air-compressor_p0260471

I probably would have gone with one with a higher CFM if I was going to do it again but that is because I sometimes use rattle guns and air chisels  :)

Definitely avoid the cheaper Chinese ones, but if you are looking at the $300-$500 range, some of them can be alright  :)

Offline voltsandjolts

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2023, 12:18:39 pm »
These are quite expensive but so much quieter than other compressors we tried, a godsend for our relatively quiet workshop.

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/quiet-run-compressor-4/

We use filters to ensure dry air.

Offline artag

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2023, 01:13:12 pm »
I don't know if they're available where you are, but in Europe and UK Jun-Air make very nice small compressors.
In general, compressors made for dental work are quiet if your air volume needs are not too large.

Offline Neutrion

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2023, 02:58:46 pm »
For low air volume applications a super quiet and not chinese one would be a used fridge compressor, with an added tank and of course oil separator, and intake filter. If you make it yourself, it could be made in Australia.
Preferably with r600 gas, as it uses simple mineral oil unlike the ones with r134 which use esther oils which absorbs moisture.
Or some small ac rotary compressor if more volube is needed.
This would be the most enviroment friendly option as well if you get a used piece.

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2023, 08:37:50 pm »
Hyundai compact low noise compressors are good. Their 8l tank 550W model is nice and portable. Not as high a CFM ratings as some of the noisier ones but easily capable of tyre pumping and blow dusting...

https://hyundaipowerequipment.co.uk/hyundai-8-litre-air-compressor-4cfm-118psi-silenced-oil-free-direct-drive-0-75hp-hy5508

Spares are readily available too. Check ebay because they seem to have outlet stores (there's on in the UK anyway)... and of course they're a well known South Korean main brand, with decent warranty, rather than Chinese.
Best Regards, Chris

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2023, 09:12:50 pm »
Spares are readily available too. Check ebay because they seem to have outlet stores (there's on in the UK anyway)... and of course they're a well known South Korean main brand, with decent warranty, rather than Chinese.
Keep on dreaming. Exact same model from Aliexpress:
https://aliexpress.com/item/1005002858081409.html
https://aliexpress.com/item/4000286013462.html

All the budget compressors are made in China. No matter the brand.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2023, 09:16:02 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2023, 09:22:29 pm »
Hah, yes. You can't make anything in China without the copies starting to flow. At least you get support and warranty though.... You might actually get real Copper windings rather than the CCA in the Ali ones too!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2023, 09:27:22 pm by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2023, 11:53:03 pm »
You really think the Aliexpress ones are the copies?  :o Rest assured that the Hyundai one is just a rebadge like so many cheap Chinese equipment gets rabadged and sold at a premium price. Hyundai sell the same products as the Aliexpress sellers. Heck, chances are the Hyundai one is made even cheaper cutting more corners. I have been bitten by Chinese crap I bought locally (even from Farnell!) which was way worse compared to the stuff I can buy through Ebay / Aliexpress directly.

Offline HalcyonTopic starter

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2023, 12:06:12 am »
Thanks for the feedback guys. You've given me a bit to consider.

I don't want to start a China bashing war, but I have a number of reasons why I won't spend my money for anything made in China (if I can reasonably help it). I'd rather spend more, but purchase quality, locally made products where possible.

We have pretty strict labelling laws here, if something is "Made in Australia", it means just that. Companies like ARB (popular brand that sell 4WD products) get around this by stating that their gear is "Assembled in Australia" hoping that no one would notice.

The following users thanked this post: Dan123456

Offline Dan123456

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2023, 01:20:09 am »
Na that’s fair enough mate  :)

I found these guys:

http://aussieaircompressors.com.au/

They don’t list prices on their website which is never a good sign but they do say everything is Australian made  :)

“All air receivers & air compressors are proudly Australian made and manufactured”  :)

Offline eliocor

• Supporter
    • rhodiatoce
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2023, 01:55:49 am »
If you do not care about price but want silence and quality, look for JUN-AIR products: I can turn on my compressor at 3 AM without my neighbors noticing (I live in a flat)

https://jun-air.com/

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf