Author Topic: Suggestions on how to repair Gorrilla glass damage?  (Read 3288 times)

Offline AmperaTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
Suggestions on how to repair Gorrilla glass damage?
« on: January 24, 2017, 11:58:27 pm »
My NVidia Shield (Which has terrible build quality) has a tiny chip in the screen. While this normally isn't a problem, it's starting to spread with light pressure. Even a small amount of pressure (Like pushing gently on it) can spread it slightly. I don't know how I should go about fixing this. I don't know if a polish would work because it's not a scratch, it's developed into more of a crack.

Any ideas?
I forget who I am sometimes, but then I remember that it's probably not worth remembering.
EEVBlog IRC Admin - Join us on irc.austnet.org #eevblog

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
Re: Suggestions on how to repair Gorrilla glass damage?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2017, 12:13:28 am »
If it's a crack, then the failure is through the entire thickness of the glass.  Polishing the surface is pointless - and would only contaminate the internal crack surfaces by having polish pushed into the crack.

The only crack treatment I know about for glass is the epoxy resin type repairs of windscreens - where the resin is forced into the crack to bond through the entire internal surfaces of the faces of the crack within the glass.

Trying anything like that in this situation would be a great way to totally ruin it, IMHO.

My advice is to get the glass replaced.

Online Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2017, 12:21:42 am »
Its chemically toughened glass.  The surface is under compression and the core under tension.  Once there is a crack or chip deep enough to reach the core, its game over. Common adhesives don't bond well enough to glass to do any good and you cant get the adhesive right into the tip of the crack where it needs to be to stop it propagating.  In fact any glue or polish will make it worse as it will increase the force wedging the crack open.

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2017, 12:55:07 am »
If it's a crack, then the failure is through the entire thickness of the glass.  Polishing the surface is pointless - and would only contaminate the internal crack surfaces by having polish pushed into the crack.

The only crack treatment I know about for glass is the epoxy resin type repairs of windscreens - where the resin is forced into the crack to bond through the entire internal surfaces of the faces of the crack within the glass.

Trying anything like that in this situation would be a great way to totally ruin it, IMHO.

The one caveat here is that the glass is irreplaceable. There exist no new parts at a price I'd be willing to pay (I'm not paying 130 dollars to some asshole on ebay for a screen)

I need at the bare minimum a way to stop the damage from spreading.
I forget who I am sometimes, but then I remember that it's probably not worth remembering.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2017, 01:06:45 am »
Avoid putting pressure on the glass.

I know it's not the answer you are seeking, but I can see no other "practical" way.

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2017, 01:12:33 am »
Avoid putting pressure on the glass.

I know it's not the answer you are seeking, but I can see no other "practical" way.

Lol. Do you have an impractical way?

Maybe I can put a glass screen protector over it.

Offline Vgkid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2017, 02:17:53 am »
Not sure how much this would help dissipate any applied pressure, those glass screen protectors.
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2017, 02:25:21 am »
Not sure how much this would help dissipate any applied pressure, those glass screen protectors.

Maybe I can put a glass screen protector over it.

Offline timothyaag

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2017, 06:48:40 pm »

I imagine the Shield is a whole display assembly or nothing repair, with the display assemblies being stripped from faulty units. When I got out of technician work, about 2 years ago, basically every consumer device had effectively fused LCD/Digi/Glass and there were few devices that were serviced as glass-only repairs. Failure rate on separating the layers, replacing glass and sealing it all back together was way too high for our business and luckily, the ones around us as well. With the race to be the thinnest device still going strong I bet the repair situation has only gotten worse.

Offline metrologist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2017, 08:15:05 pm »
I might try a very thin super glue, but not. I bet you just get used to the crack. A coworker dropped their new iPhone and lived two years with a completely shattered screen since the phone was still functional. I've seen several people just using their phone as-is with a crack across the middle.

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2017, 08:48:39 pm »
Well I've bought a glass screen protector (A think I should have bought long ago).

The stupid thing is that this is probably my fourth unit (Others were returned, and one was the recall) and this is the first one to have this kinda shit on it, hence why I never bought a screen protector for it.

I just don't want the crack to tree branch into a destroyed screen.

Offline KhronX

• Frequent Contributor
    • Khron's Cave - Electronics Blog
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2017, 05:54:38 pm »
 ::) http://i.quoteaddicts.com/media/quotes/1/41064-albert-einstein-quotes-insanity.jpg

The stupid thing is that this is probably my fourth unit (Others were returned, and one was the recall) and this is the first one to have this kinda shit on it, hence why I never bought a screen protector for it.
Khron's Cave - Electronics - Audio - Teardowns - Mods - Repairs - Projects - Music - Rants - Shenanigans

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2017, 06:39:44 pm »
::) http://i.quoteaddicts.com/media/quotes/1/41064-albert-einstein-quotes-insanity.jpg

I got free new units. I couldn't get money back, so that was the better option.

Anyways I installed a glass screen protector. Didn't do much, but what I did to is press the screen so the crack would advance all throughout. While that may seem a stupid thing to do, here is my reasoning.

1. It was going to happen anyways

2. I prevented it from branching out into other cracks, This crack is stable and will not hurt the rest of the screen, but if I were to have ignored it, the gentle pressure from time to time may have allowed it to branch into more cracks.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf