Author Topic: Take a look at this (3d printer)  (Read 6298 times)

Offline M0BSWTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • Left this site 2013, they will not delete it ????
Take a look at this (3d printer)
« on: October 13, 2012, 03:32:00 pm »
http://youtu.be/SmkQCUJNooA    you could make anything I think
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 09:33:22 am by GeoffS »
no one would or will tell me how to delete this account

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
Re: Take a look at this
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2012, 04:02:40 pm »
Yes these machines can be impressive. I am waiting for the prices to drop though. There isn't that much difference between the mechanics of these systems and those of a decent plotter so with time and hopefully public demand we may get to see mass production and sub US$500 prices.

Take a look at the spares prices though ....US$1450 for the CPU and US$440 for the main board !

It would also appear that the white brackets etc on this unit have themselves been made with a 3D printer....I personally prefer metal or professionally extruded/molded parts for longevity.

If you really want to be impressd, take a look at 3D laser printers....the output product is simply superb. Sadly the cost is also high at the moment.

Fraser
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 04:12:37 pm by Aurora »
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Online Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2012, 04:34:32 pm »
Video makes it look easy.

Bull shit.

iratus parum formica

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2012, 04:47:07 pm »
Yes these machines can be impressive. I am waiting for the prices to drop though. There isn't that much difference between the mechanics of these systems and those of a decent plotter so with time and hopefully public demand we may get to see mass production and sub US$500 prices.

Take a look at the spares prices though ....US$1450 for the CPU and US$440 for the main board !

It would also appear that the white brackets etc on this unit have themselves been made with a 3D printer....I personally prefer metal or professionally extruded/molded parts for longevity.

If you really want to be impressd, take a look at 3D laser printers....the output product is simply superb. Sadly the cost is also high at the moment.

Fraser
Hi Fraser, I've seen a 3d laser at my daughters school where it's kept for all the schools to use in the area,  my daughter made a new head for a barbie doll, it was impressive, also so she made me a project box as a fathers day present.

Offline Pentium100

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2012, 07:06:14 am »
A bit OT, but since this thread is probably going to attract those who use 3D printers, I have to ask the question that has been bugging me for quite some time now:

Is it possible to print a tape reel (just the reel, no tape)? I can't figure out how the printers like what Dave has can do it.

Offline bullet308

• Frequent Contributor
  • Jack of All Trades, Master of None Related to EE
Re: Take a look at this (3d printer)
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2012, 12:38:49 pm »
If you can print your own flute and ball bearing assembly, why not a tape reel? Should be about trivial.

)

MakerBot needs to be very careful. Venture capital or no they run the risk of becoming just another bloody lump of roadkill, the way things are moving.

Take a look in the dictionary for the term Disruptive Technology. I'll bet you find a picture of a 3D printer there....
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 12:47:33 pm by bullet308 »
>>>BULLET>>>

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2012, 03:28:56 pm »
I think in time these will price drop enough for the ordinary people like us to own one, I say this as take for example my  mobile phone 3 years ago I had just an ordinary mobile , compare to the one I have now it's a dinosaur, my current one does all the normal thing texts music tv ,internet ect, but the damn thing now talks to me, female voice ,knows my name ,where I live. It caught me by suprise when I asked it a question and it answered, I asked it where was I ,It said with an attitude mind you  " Paul you are at your home address", I've since called it christine, it hasn't told me the winning lottery numbers yet. This new one in real terms hasn't cost me more than the old one, but the tech is so much advanced it's a bit scary.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 03:32:08 pm by M0BSW »

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2012, 04:12:40 pm »
FDM is 'out' ( Fused Deposit Modeliing , what people call 'extrusion' , squirting hot plastic like the makerbot)

you can't get the precision and durability of the other processes. Problem is the other processes are -very- complex and not suitable for hobby machinery. The first serious attempt of bringing one of the other technologies in hobby grasp is Formlabs ( on kickstarter now ) with the Form 1.

There are even processes that yield a solid metal end product. Can even be titanium ...

Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline robrenz

• Super Contributor
  • Real Machinist, Wannabe EE
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2012, 05:52:28 pm »
SLS "selective laser sintering" is doing some realy neat stuff in the plastic molding industry.  Both in directly making a mold cavity and in making a mold block with cooling channels that are impossible with standard machining methods. 

Offline sorin

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2012, 09:47:46 pm »
LOL  for $2000 you can buy a mini CNC machine.

Offline bullet308

• Frequent Contributor
  • Jack of All Trades, Master of None Related to EE
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2012, 10:59:08 pm »
LOL  for $2000 you can buy a mini CNC machine.

Im with you. These things are making rapid progress but for the moment, a small CNC router/mill buys you more capability for your money.
>>>BULLET>>>

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf