Author Topic: Technical misnomers, ambiguous or plain incorrect terms in general usage.  (Read 30482 times)

Offline helius

• Super Contributor
"Entreé" as used in the US - the word means entrance. Hence, it is the appetizer and not the main course.
What of "Pièce de résistance"? Many English speakers use it to mean "the cherry on the cake", but it actually means the main course, the thing that provides sustenance.

"Manufactured" comes from Latin that literally means "hand made".  But somewhere along the line, as it was used in English over the centuries, it transformed to mean something closer to "mass produced by machine".
There are many examples of words that mean the opposite in Latin. For example, "egregious" comes from a Latin word for praiseworthy.

Offline Bassman59

• Super Contributor
  • Yes, I do this for a living
"Entreé" as used in the US - the word means entrance. Hence, it is the appetizer and not the main course.

"Panini" is the Italian word for "sandwiches".  Plural.  It's incorrect to say "I'd like to order a panini".  If you only want one, you want a panino.

Similarly, “pierogi” is the plural of the Polish word for the yummy dumpling, even though people will order “a pierogi” instead of “a pierog.” And to make it worse, the yutzes will go into Veselka on 2nd Ave in NYC and say, “can i have a half-dozen pierogies?” The servers wisely say nothing.

Offline JohnnyMalaria

• Super Contributor
    • Enlighten Scientific LLC
What of "Pièce de résistance"? Many English speakers use it to mean "the cherry on the cake", but it actually means the main course, the thing that provides sustenance.

You prove my point. The US uses it the way you say but it's not what the word means. Most, if not all, of the rest of the English-speaking world use it in the way that it actually means, i.e., the course that precedes the main one. BTW, I've never heard of it used as "the cherry on the cake".

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor

Similarly, “pierogi” is the plural of the Polish word for the yummy dumpling, even though people will order “a pierogi” instead of “a pierog.” And to make it worse, the yutzes will go into Veselka on 2nd Ave in NYC and say, “can i have a half-dozen pierogies?” The servers wisely say nothing.

Whatever you call them, they are still delicious!
My late Mother in law made the best ones I've ever tasted.
They are not quite my favourite, though, her cabbage rolls take that honour.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 11:44:04 am by vk6zgo »

Offline Bassman59

• Super Contributor

You prove my point. The US uses it the way you say but it's not what the word means. Most, if not all, of the rest of the English-speaking world use it in the way that it actually means, i.e., the course that precedes the main one. BTW, I've never heard of it used as "the cherry on the cake".

Along these lines ...

The statement, "the proof is in the pudding," doesn't make any sense because it's mangled from the original, "The proof of the pudding is in the eating."

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
If you look at the MOSFET symbol, the arrow does point in the direction of electron flow. (Albeit MOSFETs are frequently used to conduct current going in the other direction, as synchronous rectifiers.)

I have always considered the small arrow pointing into or out of the substrate on the power MOSFET symbol to be the emitter-base junction of the parasitic bipolar transistor.  If it is forward biased unlike the body diode, then the MOSFET is destroyed.  Then the body diode shown on some power MOSFET symbols is the collector-base junction.

Consider the bipolar transistor symbol itself; there are two junctions but the arrow only shows the emitter.  It pointed along the conventional current flow and the unseen one is pointed the opposite.

Offline Messtechniker

• Frequent Contributor
  • Old analog audio hand - No voodoo.
Using the word "Professional" for all kinds of
cheap and cheerful - i.e. crappy - equipment. :palm:
Agilent 34465A, Siglent SDG 2042X, Hameg HMO1022, R&S HMC 8043, Peaktech 2025A, Voltcraft VC 940, M-Audio Audiophile 192, R&S Psophometer UPGR, 3 Transistor Testers, DL4JAL Transistor Curve Tracer, UT622E LCR meter

Offline helius

• Super Contributor
Psychology is full of incorrectly used terms. Here are 50 collected in a recent journal article: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4522609/

A few were also discussed in a recent podcast.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor

When I worked in TV Broadcasting, we always recognised "Professional" as "second tier" stuff.
The real stuff was always marketed as "Broadcast Standard".

As time went by, the performance of the "Professional" crud became quite good, but their build quality was still second rate.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline GlennSprigg

• Super Contributor
  • Medically retired Tech. Old School / re-learning !
Ok... And this is a BIG one, that's 'pissed' me off since I was a 1st year
elect apprentice way back in the 1970's, that's never changed!!!......

So called 'CONVENTIONAL' current flow, (+ve to -ve) from the 'very' old days of ignorance!!
Even today, with the likes of DIODES & TRANSISTORS, they show an 'ARROW' pointing in the
direction of 'conventional' flow....  , even though today we UNDERSTAND about 'Electron' flow.

So their confusing and silly 'explanation' to me back then, was that.....
"Yes, we know how Electrons travel, and their charge, but you need to think of 'current'
flow as the MOVEMENT OF POSITIVE HOLES, IN THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION "....
Even my young brain then, said, "Give me a break" !!!!!  The biggest electrical lie ever told.
Why can't we simply accept the failings of the past, and change ??  (So much confusion caused).
It’s like saying you don’t drive to work, your parking space goes to your home. Why it takes so much energy and expense simply to move an empty space, I will never know.

My response is due to the thought that most people do not grasp what you/I mean, regarding
the mentality of the 'reverse flow' (crap) mentality, so here goes !!!....  :)

Imagine a line, of say 10 beads layed out together. (Representing 'Electrons').
Now we move the far right one to the right a bit, (an electron moved from the end!).
Hmmm... there is a GAP (positive-hole) between the 9th & 10th bead now.
Now move the 9th bead to the right, up against the 10th bead. (Ok, another electron)... >:(
NOW we have a GAP (positive-hole!!!) between the 8th & 9th bead!!!!... (moving left!  >:( )

THIS was their 'explanation' about reverse movement of 'Positive-Holes'... do you see ??
Luckily, over the next 35 years, I had the privilege of training hundreds of apprentices, the
'basics' and more. Not one had ever failed.
Diagonal of 1x1 square = Root-2. Ok.
Diagonal of 1x1x1 cube = Root-3 !!!  Beautiful !!

Offline JohnnyMalaria

• Super Contributor
    • Enlighten Scientific LLC
The direction of current flow is arbitrary. Not all current flow is due to movement of electrons.

Consider a car battery connected to a load. Anions in solution migrate to the positive electrode and cations migrate to the negative electrode. You have to assign a direction for current and it is arbitrary. In this example, the cations are like the holes but they are real and carry charge. The idea of positive holes is more of a mental crutch to help you think about the conventional current vs electron direction when staring at a circuit.

Offline Bassman59

• Super Contributor

You’ve described Behringer’s audio gear. UltraPro!

The following users thanked this post: Richard Crowley

Offline bsfeechannel

• Super Contributor
So called 'CONVENTIONAL' current flow, (+ve to -ve) from the 'very' old days of ignorance!!

You're not alone. I taught myself electronics before I had any formal training. I knew the angry pixies like to march from negative to positive. So I built all my reasoning on that premise. It was difficult to adapt later. Luckily no one told me any bullshit. "It's a historical convention, period".

Today I'm "ambidextrous". I can think either way.

Even today, with the likes of DIODES & TRANSISTORS, they show an 'ARROW' pointing in the
direction of 'conventional' flow....  , even though today we UNDERSTAND about 'Electron' flow.

Fret not. The symbol for the diode has nothing to do with flow of current. It was inspired in the old point-contact crystal detectors like this in the picture below:

The "arrow" is the pointed rod, while the bar is the crystal disk.

You can see the first use of this symbol in publications like this:

www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-Bookshelf/A.P.Morgan/Wireless-Telegraph-Construction-for-Amateurs-Morgan.pdf

See figure 108 on page 149 of the PDF document.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crystal_detector

The same thing is valid for transistors (bipolar, J- or MOSFETs). The one invented by the Bell Labs was developed from a point-contact diode. So the arrow always points from P to N.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
Fret not. The symbol for the diode has nothing to do with flow of current. It was inspired in the old point-contact crystal detectors like this in the picture below:

The "arrow" is the pointed rod, while the bar is the crystal disk.

You can see the first use of this symbol in publications like this:

www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-Bookshelf/A.P.Morgan/Wireless-Telegraph-Construction-for-Amateurs-Morgan.pdf

See figure 108 on page 149 of the PDF document.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crystal_detector

The same thing is valid for transistors (bipolar, J- or MOSFETs). The one invented by the Bell Labs was developed from a point-contact diode. So the arrow always points from P to N.

Mechanical construction origin ... for the win!

Conveniently, the misjudged assignment to give us "conventional" current flow, allowed a logical view of circuit schematics.

Nice.

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
When software/firmware screens say "We" as in "we are", when whatever it's doing is client side. There is no "we" in a machine...unless they mean the Tron people. ::)
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

Offline GlennSprigg

• Super Contributor
Yea....  or "Hospital Grade" disinfectant.... as opposed to the weak fake 'pathetic' disinfectant, ???
normally on the market??.....  Even the 'Hospital Grade' is only like 2% hydrogen peroxide (hypo).

Offline GlennSprigg

• Super Contributor
The direction of current flow is arbitrary. Not all current flow is due to movement of electrons.
 The idea of positive holes is more of a mental crutch to help you think about the conventional current vs electron direction when staring at a circuit.

A Mental 'Crutch' indeed.... and a mental limitation that has no place today.....
and regarding the statement....
"The direction of current flow is arbitrary. Not all current flow is due to movement of electrons."
The ONLY thing 'ARBITRARY' is the (accepted) ignorance of our predecessors. But we know better now?
If you are suggesting that 'Electron Flow' is but ONE IDEA... then "Never the Twain shall meet".... (Look it up).
(I know we think differently mate... from the past. We are like 'Chalk & Cheese  :) :) )

Offline Circlotron

• Super Contributor
“As seen on TV” = totally amazing.
“Never before seen on TV” = even more amazing!

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
“As seen on TV” = totally amazing.
“Never before seen on TV” = even more amazing!
A product that advertises "as seen on TV" rarely performs as well as advertised.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline Circlotron

• Super Contributor
"Fully Imported" = much better than us local idiots could make.
"Export Quality" = much better than us local idiots deserve.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
A lot of the things people think are "wrong" are actually when shorthand (or other abbreviations) happens to collide with an existing word. Great example of this being "gas" for "gasoline". It's not because we think it's in the gaseous phase, it's simply shorthand for gasoline.

• Mechanical keyboard (when referring to a computer input peripheral). Mechanical vs. electric typewriter - now, that's something I get. In the former, the mechanical force of the typist hitting a key is translated to the motion of the hammer by purely mechanical means while in the latter there is always some kind of electric actuator involved. But for computer keyboards? Come on, how is a rubber membrane providing some "springiness", resistance and returning force for the key being pressed any less "mechanical" than, say, a metal spring? Both kinds of keyboards involve a microcontroller scanning an array of electrical switches and translating key presses into digital codes. While I understand what the actual difference between "mechanical" and "non-mechanical" computer keyboards is, the classification itself doesn't make any kind of sense to me.
This is, I think, similar to gasoline, in that I think it's shorthand for a keyboard that uses discrete mechanical keyswitches. That is, of course, what really distinguishes them.

Digital copy when referring to an asset (music file, game) provided over the network, not involving a physical media. Clunky as it is, I could kinda sorta almost accept the term as long as it means "digital vs. physical" even though it's messy and inaccurate. The problem is, people got (quite understandably so) confused to the point of now calling Blu-Ray discs analog :palm: Not once have I seen a guy posting on a forum that he's got an "analog copy" of the game and by that he means he's got a frickin' Blu-Ray copy of a game. EDIT: yes, I understand that the actual signal as being picked up by the BD drive laser detector is analog in nature and requires further conditioning/interpretation to be considered digital but I think that's beside the point here.
If someone called a blu-ray "analog" I'd call them an idiot. But "digital copy" and "physical copy" form a nice, logical contrasting pair. (Especially since a digital copy can be conveyed by any means: online, disk, etc.)

Computer guys always talk about CMOS  as being an IC in the computer.
No, not "computer" guys. It's PC (as in, Wintel PC) guys only! 

But the biggest fault: Talking about a Voltage and Amperage when you talk about electric tension and electric current.  :box: (in Dutch we use spanning (tension) )
English uses "tension" in very limited contexts. Otherwise, "voltage" is established. ::shrug::

This is not limited to the English speaking world. The Germans do the same.  |O
They do more wrong, They call the sea a meer and a lake is a see. In Dutch a sea is zee and a lake is meer. A seastar in Dutch is zeester. The Germans call it a seester instead of a meerster
Bzzzzt. It's more subtle than that:

Das Meer (I assume from the Latin "mare"), der Ozean = the ocean
Der See = the lake
Die See = the sea

My guess is that it's Dutch that got the words "wrong", if anything, by using "meer" for a lake.

"Next".  It mystifies me why most people use 'next' to mean "the one after this one coming up soon."
It can definitely be ambiguous! :(

Misuse of "post" and "reply" words in buttons on forums. For example one private forum I frequent, in which a reply entry box is always present, and the button used to cause your text to be posted, is called "Reply".
Where the sensible thing would be to have no text box till you click "Reply", you type a message, then click "Post".
The person in charge of coding that forum cannot see anything wrong with how it is now. Like the damned words don't actually have specific meanings in English.
Well that's not misuse "in general usage" (the topic of this discussion), but rather a user interface cobbled together by someone who gave it no thought. Or by code sharing between segments of the system that shouldn't be shared…

Momentarily is the one which bothers me.  Why is the plane only going to land momentarily at its destination?  Isn't that where the passengers were suppose to leave the aircraft?
THIS!! This truly is a language pet peeve of mine. What's wrong with "shortly"??? The mental image of the plane basically doing a go-around, with pax doing Captain Kirk rolls out of the plane onto the tarmac…

When talking about the data transfer rate of serial interfaces most people use the term "baud" instead of "bps". And another commonly misused term for the throughput or data transfer rate of networks, lines and internet access is "bandwidth".

baud is correct (named after Emile Baudot) and when applied in the digital domain is defined as 1 bit/second.
No. Strictly speaking, baud refers to the symbol rate. But the symbol rate hasn't been 1:1 since the 2400bps modem days, as others have said. By using more complex modulation schemes, we encode more than one bit per symbol, hence a bitrate that's higher than the baud. (Since the actual baud isn't of particular importance to the end user, this hasn't been shown in specs for ages.)

I don't use commas (or apostrophes) correctly myself. I was talking about the specific case where they are completely omitted, making the text difficult to understand.  It is particularly horrible when documentation lists something, and you are left wondering where the delimiters are.  Especially if some of the text includes the serial comma and some does not.

Something like "a, b; c; d, e, f" is pretty clearly an ordered set of three isubsets, with "a" and "b" in the first set, "c" in the second set; and "d", "e", and "f" in the third set.  See what I did with the semicolon there? It may be wrong or annoying, but it sure makes the list clear!
As someone who's worked as a professional technical writer, I hate most of the rules that people are taught in school, which are literary rules, as opposed to rules designed to rule out ambiguity and enhance clarity. As such, in comma-separated lists, yeah, I'm gonna use a comma for each item. And if there need to be commas inside a list item, then I'll use semicolons as you did. But if possible, it's even better to just avoid a comma/semicolon-separated list altogether, and instead use a bulleted list.

It has been a problem for a long time. Whence "1.44 MB" floppy disks?
Megabits vs. megabytes is bad enough.

But I swear to god, I was once in a Circuit City store and two corpulent sisters were looking at the "digical" cameras, and of course the spec they were comparing the most was the "megapickles". (Cucumbers being good for weight loss, I suppose.)

Data ARE, not data IS :scared: |O :palm:
Since the word "datum" is all but extinct, I see no issue with treating it as a noncountable group noun.

The problem though is that you end up sounding like a pompous arse if you say it correctly. Same as for "whomever" and the correct pronunciation of "valet".
Huh? The only pronunciation I've ever heard for that word is "val-ay", like the original French. Are you saying there are people who pronounce it "val-it"?!?  :o

Same as when people talk about their Por-sha.  :rant:

But it's a German name.
How would it being a German name make a difference?
Because the name of the company is pronounced Por-shuh, not porsh. It's not snooty, it's simply correct.

Nobody uses Ω anymore?

When I am writing or producing documentation, sure.  But computer systems and unicode are now so screwed up that the Ω symbol is increasingly unreliable.  It used to work great back when code page 437 was ubiquitous.

Firefox does not even allow me to enter it directly without issuing a page back command.
Sounds to me like a Firefox bug (probably a Firefox on Windows bug). At least on the Mac, using Unicode for things like Ω has worked fine for a very long time. Outside of online services involving outdated servers, I haven't run into encoding issues for probably over 15 years.

People cover their food with tomato tomato sauce. (Tomato Ketchup)

That's a reasonable disambiguation, though. If you've not already discovered mushroom ketchup, your pies, stews and sauces are missing out. (No tomatoes included!)
Exactly!! If you know the history, you know that ketchup used to mean a savory sauce, which could be made from various things. For example, here's an 18th century recipe for the aforementioned mushroom ketchup:

The word ketchup itself is believed to come from the Indonesian ketjap manis.

I think you're wrong on this. The original French phrase means exactly what it does in modern English: the masterpiece. The phrase literally meant "the piece with staying power". That could be the main course, but it also could be something else. If the memorable course (or work) is small, so be it. It's about being memorable, not about being large.

So what do you think it means?!?

Ugh, yes, don't get me started… I think the German-speaking world is unusually bad about this: marketers will plant the word "Profi" on absolute junk. On the Swiss equivalent of ebay (ricardo.ch), seeing the word "profi" on a listing instantly signals to me that it's garbage being peddled by a greedy vendor who knows nothing about the field. (It's full of "profi" soldering stations that are absolute garbage.)

When software/firmware screens say "We" as in "we are", when whatever it's doing is client side. There is no "we" in a machine...unless they mean the Tron people. ::)
I suspect this comes from people who aren't technical writers doing the writing, and confusing the gerund ("Printing…") with the infinitive and the 1st person plural somehow ("We are printing…"). That and confounding the "we" used in marketing ("We are the world leaders in blah blah blah…").

Offline Circlotron

• Super Contributor
A lot of the things people think are "wrong" are actually when shorthand (or other abbreviations) happens to collide with an existing word. Great example of this being "gas" for "gasoline". It's not because we think it's in the gaseous phase, it's simply shorthand for gasoline.
Makes me think of what people in some countries refer to as the "gas pedal" in their car. In a diesel powered vehicle this is half correct because the pedal position controls the quantity of diesel fuel (not gasoline) injected per combustion cycle. In a gasoline engine the "gas pedal" controls the amount of *air* entering the engine, and as a =consequence= the amount of gasoline, both for EFI and carburettor engines. I realise this definition is a bit blurred nowadays with some late model very hi-tech engines though.

The following users thanked this post: tooki, newbrain

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
In a gasoline engine the "gas pedal" controls the amount of *air* entering the engine, and as a =consequence= the amount of gasoline, both for EFI and carburettor engines.

I like your analysis - which is more accurate than the conventional "understanding".

I think I'm going to find that a fun topic to raise if I come across the "right" person.   ;)

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
Makes me think of what people in some countries refer to as the "gas pedal" in their car. In a diesel powered vehicle this is half correct because the pedal position controls the quantity of diesel fuel (not gasoline) injected per combustion cycle. In a gasoline engine the "gas pedal" controls the amount of *air* entering the engine, and as a =consequence= the amount of gasoline, both for EFI and carburettor engines. I realise this definition is a bit blurred nowadays with some late model very hi-tech engines though.
Thanks for that info, I am not a car nut and I’d actually wondered how the accelerator pedal actually controlled the engine! (I guess I just never cared enough to bother looking it up!!!)

As for the name, which countries were you thinking of? I’m American, and in USA, the proper term is the accelerator, but colloquially, everyone calls it the gas pedal. Of course, I think we should call it the “go pedal” or “mo’ faster”! ;) And as far as I’m concerned we should rename the brake pedal, too, since apparently half of us can’t choose the correct spelling of “brake”, and it bugs me... (No, I don’t want my car to break when slowing down!!) :P

As far as the high-tech engines, are you referring to Mazda’s newfangled “holy grail” engine with the fancy multistage fuel injection or something?

Offline GlennSprigg

• Super Contributor
"Fully Imported" = much better than us local idiots could make.
"Export Quality" = much better than us local idiots deserve.

Yea, but sometimes those choice of words suggests other nonsensical things too, like....
"Fully Installed", for say an advertised home split-system air-con...  ????
As opposed to.... "We installed most of it for ya... but here's the rest of the bolts to finish it yourself" !!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf