Author Topic: Youtube-dl front end  (Read 4084 times)

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
Re: Youtube-dl front end
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2018, 08:08:32 pm »
"borderline illegal"

Something's either illegal or it's not. As an American, I believe I am within my rights to capture whatever traffic can be legally sent to me at any instant.

Well, it's illegal then, American or not.
YouTube license is pretty clear with that: no download allowed (unless YouTube offers you a download feature for the specified video). Also, no add blocker allowed.

As stated, I'm not a lawyer and work off what I know, but I believe you may be confusing a civil agreement and the breaking of a law.

Licenses list terms of service, upon the breach of which (unless it is a signed, notarized document detailing the civil promises made to a body, upon the breach of which no law has been broken, yet you have violated a civil agreement and can be sued and be required to pay damages or, if applicable, submit to some other criteria) all YouTube can really do is deny you access to their services, unless you have also committed some other crime against them.

The capturing and keeping of packets legally sent to you for personal use I do not believe is illegal in the same way capturing and keeping television (formerly signals now digital data) content for personal use. It's the reason, as I said, to my knowledge, you can tape a radio station and use the recording for your own personal uses (defining personal uses as, consuming the content again without redistribution).

Terms of services are written as legal documents, but their effect as contracts is dubious at best and completely worthless at worst. They are intended to set terms they intend you to follow for continued use of their services (hence why it's called terms of service) and often include details on liability of said services, for example as a way to absolve their liability should you do anything illegal on their sites, so long as they actively seek to remove that content.

Again, this is the US law as I know it. You're from Romania, so the laws and extent of unsigned, and often unread civil agreements may be different, but there's a VERY important distinction between civil and criminal courts, and just because YouTube tells you not to download their videos, doesn't mean is a law nor legally binding in any way. They can tell you not to breathe too, but that's not likely to stand up in any court either.
Professional complainer-in-chief criticizing other people's code
Programmer and bumbling Unix fool
Op @ EEVBlog IRC: irc.austnet.irc #eevblog

Offline RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2018, 08:50:42 pm »
Thank you for pointing out the differences between something being illegal and the terms of service infringement, I didn't know that. It seems that I was wrong calling that illegal.

The following users thanked this post: Ampera

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2018, 09:57:42 am »
Till recently I had been using keepvid.com. An online downloader which worked very well, usually amazingly fast.

Then a few days ago keepvid got copyright-Borged. The site is suddenly just some bizarre exhortation to not violate copyright, and why you should obey youtube terms of service.  Apparently written by mentally ill robots. Article about that:
https://betanews.com/2018/03/21/youtube-download-site-keepvid-dead/
 "Popular YouTube download site KeepVid no longer allows downloads -- educates against copyright theft."

Personally, I think it has little to do with copyright; more to do with Alphabet/Youtube/FB/Twitter wanting to stop people downloading and passing around videos which the censors would rather disappeared completely and forever, the instant youtube deletes them. Samizdat video sharing makes it harder to control the narrative. I can think of some notable recent instances.

A quick look around turned up a few alternatives, and I first tried  http://jdownloader.org
It's an installable. Works with a very large number of streaming sources and web sites. So far I'm impressed. Also I notice it doesn't have any trouble downloading videos that youtube refused to allow to download via keepvid. It gets rapidly updated to deal with streaming site attempts to kill it. First use isn't so intuitive, just look for youtube videos on how to install & run it. Ironic.

Other names that turned up, that I haven't tried:
* Free Mp3 Finder
* XDM - an alternative to IDM and is open source.
* aTube Catcher   Youtube only
* Any Audio Converter   http://www.any-audio-converter.com/any-audio-converter.php
* Any Video Conterter   http://www.any-video-converter.com/products-freeware/
* y2mate.com  (online, no install)
* youtube-dl. http://rg3.github.io/youtube-dl/  Open-source Python utility, runs on the command line (no fancy GUI) and does everything you'd expect it to do, including downloading YouTube metadata (upload date, description, etc.) as an auxiliary JSON file.

Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2018, 11:47:28 am »
Something I recently found out VLC could do (It's a jack of all trades innit?)

To download a YouTube video with it, just load the YouTube video as a stream (File>Open Network Stream). You just need to put the link in that dialog.

Next go to Tools>Codec Information and copy the link in the location box into any web browser. That's the direct link to the video, and it will either save it, or in the case of my browser (Chrome) you can right click and save video as just like you would do an image.

The following users thanked this post: Raj, BrianHG

Offline RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2018, 03:11:56 pm »
A downloader is very useful, thank you Raj.  :-+

Censorship and privacy are not the only concerns. "Data rot"-like problems are also real, even if it shouldn't be.

Look what may happen to your video if you let it on youtube for too long:

That was a fluid, crystal sharp video that I added to my favorites list in the year 2006. I am absolutely sure the quality was very good, and it is the same link.
Now, the same video has an un-watcheable quality.

For occasional use, y2mate.com worth mentioning. No install or subscription required, similar with what keepvid used to be before it was killed.

Offline mdijkens

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2018, 04:17:14 pm »
I downloaded youtube-dl-gui for Windows Portable and just run it
youtube-dl-gui at Github

To test playlists I downloaded this one during the night:
Code: [Select]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUwbtG6z6pI&list=PL5Qevr-CpW_yZZjYspehnFc-QRKQMCKHB]EEVblog complete playlist
So now I have all 1089 EEVblog episodes locally  ;D
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 09:46:15 am by mdijkens »

The following users thanked this post: Ampera

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2018, 04:46:52 pm »
Now THAT looks useful.

Offline Raj

• Frequent Contributor
  • Self taught, experimenter, noob(ish)
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2018, 06:35:19 am »
That looks quite handy

Offline Kelima

« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2020, 05:57:24 am »
I think https://www.freeonlineconverter.net is at the moment a great yt converter

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf