Author Topic: Tektronix LCD CRT Hybrid Oscilloscope Display Technology  (Read 1568 times)

Offline jonovidTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • JONOVID
Tektronix LCD CRT Hybrid Oscilloscope Display Technology
« on: October 21, 2019, 02:02:55 pm »
Tektronixs an American manufactur of oscilloscopes,
made a full color LCCS  LCD  cathode-ray tube or CRT Hybrid display, that ended up with the japanese JVC? or Japan Victor Company.
see this part of the video at- 9:18
the display technology called NuColor.  were is the US patents for this?  how did JVC get the rights to this?  how did this happen?

more about NuColor
https://hackaday.com/tag/nucolor/

LCCS The LCD  CRT Hybrid from JVC
Hobbyist with a basic knowledge of electronics

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
Re: Tektronix LCD CRT Hybrid Oscilloscope Display Technology
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2019, 03:21:08 pm »
I have a scope with the NuColor display, it's fantastic. It produces a beautiful image, sharp with that smooth clean CRT look but in full color without the screendoor effect of a shadow mask. It looks much better than the TFT displays they used on later scopes.

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2019, 04:52:25 pm »
made a full color LCCS  LCD  cathode-ray tube or CRT Hybrid display, that ended up with the japanese JVC? or Japan Victor Company.
the display technology called NuColor.  were is the US patents for this?  how did JVC get the rights to this?  how did this happen?

Maybe the patent has expired and Tek didn't feel the need to extend it. They were using the colour LCD shutter, monochrome CRT on the TDS754 back in the mid '90s. It did have a bit too much peripheral vision flicker if you moved your eyes too quickly.
Best Regards, Chris

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2019, 05:09:05 pm »

Maybe the patent has expired and Tek didn't feel the need to extend it. They were using the colour LCD shutter, monochrome CRT on the TDS754 back in the mid '90s. It did have a bit too much peripheral vision flicker if you moved your eyes too quickly.
I agree. I can't work with those displays at all. I upgraded every Tek scope from that series I owned with a TFT display.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2019, 05:09:47 pm »
That is a flaw it shares with DLP, I've noticed it appears much worse to me when I'm very tired, most of the time I don't really see it at all. I think the end result is still very good though, it looks much better to me than LCDs of the era, it's so smooth and the contrast ratio is phenomenal. Nice colors on an inky black background, only OLED comes close.

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2019, 05:29:34 pm »
That is a flaw it shares with DLP, I've noticed it appears much worse to me when I'm very tired, most of the time I don't really see it at all.

Yes, very similar, though colour wheels typically alternate much faster than those LCD shutters could manage.

I think the end result is still very good though, it looks much better to me than LCDs of the era,

Oh yes, no question.
Best Regards, Chris

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf