Author Topic: Television Remote Control 1961  (Read 8882 times)

Offline dfmischler

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Television Remote Control 1961
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2016, 12:44:41 pm »
The FlashMatic quickly gave way to the ultrasonic "Space Command" remote, which used an entirely mechanical transmitter with aluminum tuning fork resonators that produced a "ping" when the button was pushed, tripping a spring operated hammer. Zenith stayed with ultrasonic remotes into the 1980s, long after essentially everyone else had gone to infrared. Later units used an electronic transmitter with an ultrasonic transducer.

I remember when I was a kid my grandmother had one of those sets with the ultrasonic remote.  I remember the set occasionally doing weird things when she ran the vacuum cleaner  :o

Offline N2IXK

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2016, 12:56:27 pm »
Rattling a ring of keys would freak an ultrasonic remote out, as well.  8)
"My favorite programming language is...SOLDER!"--Robert A. Pease

Online CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2016, 01:35:51 pm »
I agree that Zenith was the US company that introduced remote control, and also that it was the major promoter.  I remember Zenith ads touting this feature and don't remember anyone else pushing it until the 1970s.  But you have to give RCA credit for the remote mentioned in the OP.  It is far more ambitious than the Zenith controllers.  It appears to offer linear, or at least a large number of steps, control of more functions.  Things like tint, fine tuning, brightness and contrast as emphasized in the video.  Only those who lived through the era can understand how necessary those functions were.  And though the RCA control didn't mention it because those problems were probably solved on that high end set, horizontal and vertical sync.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf