Author Topic: The Man who *miraculously* survives thousands of amps  (Read 3890 times)

Offline tyguy2Topic starter

• Supporter
The Man who *miraculously* survives thousands of amps
« on: May 17, 2016, 12:10:58 am »
https://youtu.be/DZ9wk6aVjT0
I found this today, laughed my ass off.
[Sarcastic comment] clever joke [/sarcastic comment]
Bitcoin:
12oV4dWZCAia7vXBzQzBF9wAt1U3JWZkpk

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Re: The Man who *miraculously* survives thousands of amps
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 01:16:53 am »
Good to see him exposing BS  :-+
Not enough bloggers do it.

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 01:44:44 am »
Why were they involved in perpetuating the ruse?

~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

Online Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 03:21:49 am »
I have less objection to some enterprising old man in India scamming some dumb reporters than I do with the History channel. Why were they involved in perpetuating the ruse?
Seriously funny video though. Actual LOL.

+1

Theory 1: Ratings on 'the incredible' are better than ratings on exposing bullshit.
Theory 2: The reporter is clueless and gullible.

I also have a similar ability - but can go one step better ... a variable speed control - by running one of the wires up and down my arm.  But it's embarrassing when I get over 75-80% power as it causes a muscle spasm similar to that which afflicted Dr Stragelove
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 03:27:29 am by Brumby »

Offline at2marty

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2016, 08:45:58 pm »
https://youtu.be/DZ9wk6aVjT0
I found this today, laughed my ass off.

The guy that made the video is funny.  I like his video about current vs. voltage.  He is right though.  The other guy featured on The History Channel is pure B.S.

Offline edy

• Super Contributor
    • DevHackMod Channel
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2016, 10:14:19 pm »
Could he have possibly modified the appliances with some low voltage sense circuit using a Mosfet or JFET or other transistor, that when activated allows the device to get full current? Then he wouldn't need an observer to be "synchronizing" the device turning on and off. You could pass a few volts harmlessly at a few milliamps through your skin, just enough to activate the transistor gate?

To bust this thing wide open, we need someone to just modify a light-bulb or drill the exact same way and show how it works. History channel missed a basic electronics lesson opportunity.

[EDIT:  We have no idea how the devices he is "turning on/off" are actually wired in with the wires he is holding in his hand. We are made to presume it is in series connection to the mains but who knows how he rigged up his devices internally.... They never crack one open to see... I bet there is a power transistor in there and he is saturating the gate to let it go wide open with a small control voltage passing through his skin].

[EDIT 2:  The history guy almost said it correctly.. he says "Electric Drill".... But if you pause it just right and hit play, he says "Trick Drill".... because that's what it is.]
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 10:26:55 pm by edy »
YouTube: www.devhackmod.com LBRY: https://lbry.tv/@winegaming:b Bandcamp Music Link
"Ye cannae change the laws of physics, captain" - Scotty

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2016, 10:36:19 pm »
The History channel isn't very credible these days.
I saw the guy mention them in that video.

I'm being drawn away from mainstream TV just like I am for Windows and mainstream news media.
Sue AF6LJ

Offline VK3DRB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2016, 12:25:50 pm »
Could he have possibly modified the appliances with some low voltage sense circuit using a Mosfet or JFET or other transistor, that when activated allows the device to get full current? Then he wouldn't need an observer to be "synchronizing" the device turning on and off. You could pass a few volts harmlessly at a few milliamps through your skin, just enough to activate the transistor gate?...

Statement: You could pass a few volts harmlessly at a few milliamps through your skin.
Correction: You could pass a few microamps harmlessly through your skin.

A few mA will give you a nice shock. In fact, 20mA can kill you. In any case, I suspect he did use something similar to what you stated. Maybe a solid state relay was used. By judging from the technical knowledge of the reporter, it would not surprise me if the trigger mechanism was easily concealed or disguised.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 12:28:26 pm by VK3DRB »

Offline bktemp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2016, 01:00:26 pm »
Statement: You could pass a few volts harmlessly at a few milliamps through your skin.
Correction: You could pass a few microamps harmlessly through your skin.
You can safely pass several 100mA through your body if you do it right:
If the frequency is high enough the current will not cause any damage (if the current density is low enough not to cause thermal damage). I have tried it myself by holding a 40W 230V lightbulb connected to a 50W 1MHz source in one hand and the ground return in the other hand. The lamp lit up brightly, but except from some heat I did not feel anything.
This has nothing to do with skin effect. Compared to the more wet and salty parts of the body, skin is bad conductor, even at high frequencies. The nerves simply can't react to the high frequencies and because of the quickly alternating current there is practically no electrolysis.

Doing the same at DC or 50/60Hz would come to a bad end.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 01:02:13 pm by bktemp »

Offline Iwanushka

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2016, 05:37:33 pm »
+1, TENS units go up to 100mA per channel and its fine, killing person involves more than current...
When all you've got is a hammer, everything starts looking like a nail.- Attrition.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf