Author Topic: Tesla Cybertruck  (Read 14478 times)

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
Re: Tesla Cybertruck
« Reply #100 on: December 11, 2023, 07:17:05 pm »
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline Siwastaja

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101 on: December 11, 2023, 07:50:30 pm »

Even if it was only to offend people like you, it's is an excellent reason to do it ;D

I'm 99% certain Cybertruck exists for trolling. The whole design looks like it's drawn by a 4-year old, and that's exactly the right thing to do, given the ages where all cars look the same. Besides, the whole safety discussion is irrelevant. They cater for the segment of psychopaths who classically drive vehicles with even worse visibility, significantly so if you look at the comparisons. I am never going to buy it, but I'm totally enjoying the fact it exists and the amount of butt pain it's creating. Plus it's an interesting and useful experiment in engineering which creates many useful results that can be later utilized in cars that make more sense. You don't want to do such experimental stuff in conventional shape, bought by conventional people who expect conventional behavior.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2023, 07:53:10 pm by Siwastaja »

The following users thanked this post: SiliconWizard

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102 on: December 12, 2023, 10:53:56 am »
You think I'm offended by it? No, I'm merely incredulous that anyone other than Musk and his equally deluded fanbois think that it's a good idea. I am metaphorically SMH, but it takes more than the comical antics of a few narcissistic fantasists to offend me.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline Siwastaja

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103 on: December 12, 2023, 01:03:26 pm »
Well, if people are interested, buy it, so that it produces at least some revenue, allowing the business to run, then it seems like an excellent idea to me. If it fails to sell in high enough numbers, then it was worth trying. In either case, it clearly is a test subject for stuff like 4-wheel steering, using stainless steel, and probably much much more I don't know about as I haven't looked into it closely. It has been many decades with very little fresh innovation in automotive. I want that to stop that trend and celebrate everyone who has guts to do something unique, even if I don't personally want that thing.

Also don't project your own attitudes into others; the fact Elon Musk makes you emotional as some kind of anti-fanboy, doesn't mean that those who disagree with you are Elon Musk fanboys.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2023, 01:05:09 pm by Siwastaja »

The following users thanked this post: bookaboo, schmitt trigger, SiliconWizard

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104 on: December 13, 2023, 04:50:30 am »
https://youtu.be/9ll2_BDZpI4

Adding this to add some more to the discussion

The following users thanked this post: bookaboo

Offline georges80

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #105 on: December 13, 2023, 05:38:09 am »
Lots of videos that compare a direct hit into a solid wall (the cyber truck) and then videos of other pickups hitting partial structures. If you are going to compare apples to apples please do so, otherwise it's all clickbait.

I think the cyber truck is for 'special people', but having a son that works at T and has been involved in a bunch of crash testing (5 star stuff), he has a different knowledge of the tests and what is actually occurring in the tests and the actual crash data, G forces, internal structure etc etc.

He finds the armchair stuff quite amusing - the clickbait youtube stuff and a bunch of forum gossip is not engineering. Please do not assume that because Musk has certain personaility 'traits' that there aren't competent engineers that know what they are doing working on the products there.

And no, I'm not a fanboy and happily drive my ICE 4wd and will continue to do so.

Anyhow, carry on.

cheers,
george.

The following users thanked this post: wraper, schmitt trigger

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #106 on: December 13, 2023, 11:13:45 am »
Well, if people are interested, buy it, so that it produces at least some revenue, allowing the business to run, then it seems like an excellent idea to me. If it fails to sell in high enough numbers, then it was worth trying. In either case, it clearly is a test subject for stuff like 4-wheel steering, using stainless steel, and probably much much more I don't know about as I haven't looked into it closely. It has been many decades with very little fresh innovation in automotive. I want that to stop that trend and celebrate everyone who has guts to do something unique, even if I don't personally want that thing.

Also don't project your own attitudes into others; the fact Elon Musk makes you emotional as some kind of anti-fanboy, doesn't mean that those who disagree with you are Elon Musk fanboys.

You're reading a little too much into my comments. Not much I can do about that; I'm not about to issue a long list of disclaimers with every post.

The main purpose and benefit of the Cybertruck seems to me to be to generate publicity for Musk.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107 on: December 14, 2023, 06:20:55 am »
Lots of videos that compare a direct hit into a solid wall (the cyber truck) and then videos of other pickups hitting partial structures. If you are going to compare apples to apples please do so, otherwise it's all clickbait.

I think the cyber truck is for 'special people', but having a son that works at T and has been involved in a bunch of crash testing (5 star stuff), he has a different knowledge of the tests and what is actually occurring in the tests and the actual crash data, G forces, internal structure etc etc.

He finds the armchair stuff quite amusing - the clickbait youtube stuff and a bunch of forum gossip is not engineering. Please do not assume that because Musk has certain personaility 'traits' that there aren't competent engineers that know what they are doing working on the products there.

And no, I'm not a fanboy and happily drive my ICE 4wd and will continue to do so.

Anyhow, carry on.

cheers,
george.

In the video I posted further on the timeline they have apples to apples test. Full wall Tesla Cybertruck Vs F150 Lightning. Results are similar. T bone test the Lightning lifts their left side to close 45⁰ while the Tesla stays mostly unmovable.

Jump to 1:50.

I'm not also a fanboy, I drive what suits my needs, not hype. I just wanted to add something more since I also saw the full frontal tests and a comparison of other trucks doing overlapping frontal test and it was not apple to apple. This one had the first apple to apple test, so I thought it would be relevant for the discussion.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2023, 06:24:30 am by Black Phoenix »

Online MT

• Super Contributor
« Reply #108 on: December 14, 2023, 03:47:59 pm »
Beyond the weight, it's hard to really see a market for this in Europe. Time will tell.
But the weight itself raises questions (especially considering that the EU is going to raise the bar, as wraper mentioned) in terms of efficiency.

There is a market alright, pompous woke transgender dentists , nasty stiff upper lip lawyers, dumb azz politicians who want to "politically signal"
they are indeed "imaginary" green while driving to airport to take private jet to Cop28 UAE and Davos WEF climatechange meeting etc.
There is always a "invented" market for dumb ass products, kitchen ice cream machines, instant bread baking machines from Philips are other famous devices.

Offline Marco

• Super Contributor
« Reply #109 on: December 14, 2023, 04:46:43 pm »
At this point Elon is poison for virtue signallers of any sort except trolling nihilists who want to piss off all sides.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2023, 04:48:40 pm by Marco »

Online langwadt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #110 on: December 14, 2023, 05:24:43 pm »
Beyond the weight, it's hard to really see a market for this in Europe. Time will tell.
But the weight itself raises questions (especially considering that the EU is going to raise the bar, as wraper mentioned) in terms of efficiency.

There is a market alright, pompous woke transgender dentists , nasty stiff upper lip lawyers, dumb azz politicians who want to "politically signal"
they are indeed "imaginary" green while driving to airport to take private jet to Cop28 UAE and Davos WEF climatechange meeting etc.
There is always a "invented" market for dumb ass products, kitchen ice cream machines, instant bread baking machines from Philips are other famous devices.

doesn't all the wokes hate Elon now because he doesn't censor twitter/X how they want?

Offline vad

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #111 on: December 14, 2023, 10:44:13 pm »
Well, if people are interested, buy it, so that it produces at least some revenue, allowing the business to run, then it seems like an excellent idea to me. If it fails to sell in high enough numbers, then it was worth trying.
CyberTruck has been sold out for many years ahead. According to drive.com.au, it may take four to five years for Tesla to clear its pre-order backlog.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112 on: December 14, 2023, 11:06:35 pm »

doesn't all the wokes hate Elon now because he doesn't censor twitter/X how they want?

Don't all the "anti-wokes" love Elon now because he censors twitter/x how they want?
They used to hate him!

I always thought he was a twat, so I am an "equal opportunity" nasty old man!

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113 on: December 14, 2023, 11:23:57 pm »
Well, if people are interested, buy it, so that it produces at least some revenue, allowing the business to run, then it seems like an excellent idea to me. If it fails to sell in high enough numbers, then it was worth trying.
CyberTruck has been sold out for many years ahead. According to drive.com.au, it may take four to five years for Tesla to clear its pre-order backlog.

Would be interesting to see the typical "profile" of the buyers, if there is any.

The following users thanked this post: Dan123456

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #114 on: December 15, 2023, 11:24:17 am »
I'm really not all that concerned about steer by wire.
It's really just a question about how redundantly it was implemented, the concept is fine and already used in so many other industries for things.

I've not looked at how its done in Cybertruck but if it has two independent motors, 2 independent steering wheel angle sensors and one system gets power from the 48V battery while the other gets power from an always-on feed from the primary battery. Then that would seem pretty robust to me. I guess the difficulty with only 2 systems is knowing which one is faulty and so which one needs to be disabled to reduce the risk of them both fighting each other.

As far as looks go, I think it looks quite cool.
But the only way I could ever see myself owning one would be to take on camping trips and only if I had money to burn.
It seems pretty impractical and way to big for everything else i might want a vehicle for.
Perhaps if Tesla come out with a smaller version of it it might make more sense to have as a utility vehicle in NZ. It's just too big otherwise.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2023, 11:30:45 am by Psi »
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #115 on: December 15, 2023, 01:26:11 pm »
Yes, I wonder how many of the buyers died and will die waiting for delivery.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline vad

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #116 on: December 15, 2023, 07:53:40 pm »
Yes, I wonder how many of the buyers died and will die waiting for delivery.
Let's do a ballpark estimation…

With over 2 million pre-orders, mostly in the USA, and the death rate in the 25-64 age group at 529 deaths per year per 100,000 population in the US, assuming an average waiting time of 4 years, and assuming the majority of buyers are in the age 25-64 group and evenly distributed by age, the number of people who paid a $250 refundable deposit but would die waiting for the delivery is on the order of magnitude of 42,000.

Offline lezginka_kabardinka

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #117 on: December 16, 2023, 02:11:27 am »
2 million Tesla vehicles have been RECALLED. Google it.

EVs are just a pipe dream.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #118 on: December 16, 2023, 02:24:13 am »

"Recall" = OTA firmware update to monitor drivers more strictly to prevent an abuse of autopilot. Also it has nothing to do with EV as such.  :palm:. BTW how many ICE cars were recalled due to potential airbag explosion? Last number I've seen was 67 million. But I doubt manufacturers/dealerships and vehicle owners in Russia really bothered to replace them. But I would not call ICE to be a dead due to that, especially because it actually has nothing to do with ICE.
EDIT: just googled that Russian АвтоВАЗ and УАЗ didn't even announce a recall despite using them too.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2023, 02:51:35 am by wraper »

The following users thanked this post: NiHaoMike

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119 on: December 17, 2023, 12:21:32 pm »
Hm.. A "recall" that's just an OTA update to add extra annoyances to the cars interface just to account for a small percentage of the population that's too stupid to use autopilot correctly without it.

Can't say I agree with this nanny state BS.

If a person cannot understand the simple concept that they are fully responsible for everything the car does while on autopilot then they probably shouldn't be on the road in the first place.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2023, 12:24:49 pm by Psi »
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline daqq

• Super Contributor
    • My site
« Reply #120 on: December 17, 2023, 12:45:08 pm »
Oh good, an oversized guillotine on wheels. Just what I always wanted.
Believe it or not, pointy haired people do exist!
+++Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Offline Marco

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121 on: December 17, 2023, 04:19:33 pm »
Hm.. A "recall" that's just an OTA update to add extra annoyances to the cars interface just to account for a small percentage of the population that's too stupid to use autopilot correctly without it.

Too human, Tesla got off light for now. This might just save them from themselves. As I've said before, Tesla is just one dead policeman or emergency service worker away from total disaster. They are lucky it has been mostly occupants and poor people the media wasn't interested in which were killed up till now.

You can bring up statistics all you want, but if the pre-existing autopilot killed some EMT doing a rescue on the highway you wouldn't want to own Tesla stock. Suddenly most people would start agreeing with me that it is just too incompatible with human nature.

Offline schmitt triggerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122 on: December 17, 2023, 04:46:55 pm »
One thing is certain about Tesla in general and Elon in particular: it elicits heated discussion and wide controversy. It is not a ho-hum automotive company like Fiat, General Motors or Nissan. Well other than that Goshn scandal.

This happens when you are a disruptive company. Have to give them credit at least for that much. 
« Last Edit: December 17, 2023, 04:48:26 pm by schmitt trigger »

Offline KE5FX

• Super Contributor
    • KE5FX.COM
« Reply #123 on: December 17, 2023, 05:20:24 pm »

Don't worry.  For every hydrocarbon molecule the West doesn't buy from you, China and India will buy a dozen. 

You might not like the price, though.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #124 on: December 17, 2023, 11:40:31 pm »

Can't say I agree with this nanny state BS.

If a person cannot understand the simple concept that they are fully responsible for everything the car does while on autopilot then they probably shouldn't be on the road in the first place.
A great step forward would be not to call it "autopilot"!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf